: Just got my SRX. Newish 2011.

budbt
10-28-12, 10:53 AM
I just bought a 2011 SRX with nice low mileage yesterday to add to the 2005 that my wife drives. I am enjoying it so far but I have to get right to my point and agree with many discussion here. The headlights in this luxury model are awful. Worse than our old Caravan. I solved that with the ultra bright replacements lamps.
I plan on the same procedure with my SRX but am looking for instructions somewhere on the procedure to actually do the bulb switch. I thought I found some instructions here but they are eluding me now.
Great info and spirit on this forum. Happy to be included in the discourse.

SrxNamja
10-28-12, 11:23 AM
there is a sticky with DIY that has all the info! Goodluck and congrats

budbt
10-28-12, 02:25 PM
I may be just missing it. I think I've visited all those links. I see all the info to remove the bumpers for the hid installs but I'm just looking to replace the actual lamps. Is that not possible from under the hood? I thought I saw a post about it previously.

Thanks for any breadcrumbs...

budbt
10-28-12, 04:38 PM
Well that was way harder than it should be. Had to remove the air box on the passenger side. That is some ridiculous engineering. It shouldn't take over an hour and a several tools to change a headlamp! GM still has some leaning to do!

SrxNamja
10-28-12, 07:25 PM
Well that was way harder than it should be. Had to remove the air box on the passenger side. That is some ridiculous engineering. It shouldn't take over an hour and a several tools to change a headlamp! GM still has some leaning to do!

Yeah , its actually harder from under the hood as I understand it and removing the bumper is the quickest as soon as you do it a couple times. Did you install brighter low beams?

GMJim
10-28-12, 08:02 PM
That is some ridiculous engineering. GM still has some leaning to do!

I guess engine compartment packaging is a breeze for those who have never done it.......

TheCaptain
10-29-12, 07:26 AM
These aren't the days of old where you can climb in the engine bay to change anything in there. People want fuel economy = less weight = tighter packaging.

300:29:1
10-29-12, 10:22 AM
These aren't the days of old where you can climb in the engine bay to change anything in there. People want fuel economy = less weight = tighter packaging.

I'm new to the brand and model. I'm going to say GM did that to discourage you from doing ANY maintenance without visiting the dealer. I really don't think the difficulty in changing a headlight bulb is related to packing things in tightly at all.

beachcad
10-29-12, 10:48 AM
I'm new to the brand and model. I'm going to say GM did that to discourage you from doing ANY maintenance without visiting the dealer. I really don't think the difficulty in changing a headlight bulb is related to packing things in tightly at all.

I have similar sentiments about some of the manipulated service visits, but I believe the Captain is right. It is an extremely tight fit under the hood. I was cursing the inaccessibility of the headlight bulbs and at the same time recognizing that it would be difficult to have made them more accessible. I also do not particularly like transverse engine configurations, but again the form (good looks) over functionality is a trade-off that is worth it, IMO.

budbt
10-29-12, 11:07 PM
Thinking it would have been a might bit easier with some small adjustments to that airbox, even making it simpler to remove it if that is still required. Torx screws in a tight spot. I guess I'll have to invest in some stubby torx drivers for the next time. If they added about 1 inch of wire so you could manipulate the connector more easily, that would have made the work way easier. Trying to get this done as hurricane Sandy arrived added to the frustration.