Cadillac Owners Forum banner

oil leak at front of engine

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lakebum1245 
#1 ·
Hate to put this here but I think it's relevant due to it being a North Star. I'm selling my '04 due to buying a '10. Backed it out of my shop and it had a large (15" across) oil puddle under it. 400 miles ago I changed oil and believe I overfilled it a little. First time to do that and I have probably done 30 or more NS oil changes. I have a lift in my shop and have had it on the lift 6 or 8 times trying to nail down the leak. Level sensor has a very small seep, oil pressure switch a small seep. After driving it twice and checking, the oil residue seems to be less and less. Could the overfill cause that much oil to leak? Going to put a new filter on tommorrow and see how it goes. Comments? Steve

#3 ·
Jim, after all the leaking it was still right on the full mark. Changed the oil again and used 2 1/2 cans of Brake Clean to get rid of the residual oil. I added Lucas oil leak stop and ran the car again. It stopped the oil pressure switch leak, almost completely stopped the oil level switch leak, and another leak it had was the pan gasket and it's 90% stopped. Directions said it may take awhile to stop a leak. After 3 or 4 more drives and trips on the lift the underneath is very dry now. Would have changed the pan gasket but removing the exhaust cross-over requires removing the transaxle. Thanks, Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.