: need a little advice on what im looking at

neo126
10-27-12, 03:30 PM
I am just curious but what does it mean when the exhaust valves are white white the intake valves are black like they should be. And the other thing is there is quite a bit of whiteness I guess u could say on the pistons as well. Maybe someone can chime in on how to remove the locating pins i am doing the suregrip stud kit and the pins are in the way. I can put pictures up if that would help

Submariner409
10-27-12, 06:25 PM
Intake valves run cold, exhaust valves run hot. Looks like you did a couple of pretty healthy speed runs just before you tore down the engine. Running any fuel additives ?

Head dowel sleeve removal in either the stickys in Northstar Performance or in Cadillac Tech Tips. Google "cadillac forums northstar cylinder head dowel removal" or something close.

Several ways - thread the sleeves, screw in a bolt, use an impact hammer to pull the sleeve. Thread the sleeve, use a bolt, pipe and stack of greased washers to pull the sleeve. There are other ways .............

Ranger
10-27-12, 09:05 PM
Coolant leaking into the cylinder will also clean things up pretty nicely like the piston on the left side.

Another way to pull a stubborn locating dowel is to drive or screw in a length of threaded rod. Tack weld it to the dowel. Slip a piece of pipe over the dowel. Drop a washer over the threaded rod end and put a nut on it. As you tighten the nut, you'll pull the dowel.

neo126
10-28-12, 10:02 PM
i appreciate the information I will definately be looking in the stickys for the dowel. Oh and there is one more thing the head in the picture the intake valves on the two inner combustion chambers are not fully closed and the cam lobe is at the closed postion for both am I looking at some head work?

Submariner409
10-29-12, 09:48 AM
The open valves comment - With the cams in place it's practically impossible NOT to have one or more pairs of valves partly open. Unless the cam lobes are pointing fairly close to straight at you when looking down on them, the valves (any valves) can be at some lift point.

If this work is on the 1994 engine, you need to remove the cams anyway - to check for dish wear on the 32 valve lifter buckets and cam lobe tips.

neo126
10-29-12, 10:32 AM
ok i will make sure to check those out as well. I do have an alldatadiy account for this year so I do have a guide. Any tips you might know submariner I know the lifters are hydraulic so they must keep the oil in them.