: Opinions on Cobra replica

Msilva954
12-17-04, 10:51 PM
AHHH....well ive been savin and the rate im goin (gotta family business starting soon) I should have enough money to get a place when Im goin to college and save at the same time....so ive been lookin at what my choices on cars "could" be when I get out and Ive narrowed it down a couple notches.

no particular order
1. 73' Impala Coupe
2. 20xx M BMW
3. Some type of muscle car....Stang etc

And now this.......http://www.backdraftracing.com/upimages/JUneshipment089.jpg

$28,500 w/o an engine and trans.......was lookin at 392ci Windsor block figure at the time for around $6000 and 1500 for the T5 HD trans.....total around 37000.........

damn expensive but it would be awsome to own.....what makes me like this builder so much more then all the other 40 something cobra kit builders is that this is not a "do it yourself" project....they are acutally completly built in South Africa w/o engine and trans...and shipped here to Pembroke Pines/Boyton Beach....ive seen them up close and they are beautiful......

O and did I mention that they use full warrented BMW 3series front and rear suspensions......OMG they are gorgeaous.

So whats the thoughts.....right now its a dream but its not totally impracticle.

illumina
12-17-04, 11:07 PM
i feel ya on the buisiness. i have my own too, and this summer, i am probably going for a new car too. personally, i would avoid the bimmers: they're too "preppy" and i have a personal hatred for them...just ask the "X".

i would go for the muscle car era. they're just too damn nice for people to pass up. i personally would go for an '72 chevelle SS, pontiac GTO, olds 442, you know the type.

my choice of cars for me by this summer will be:

pontiac GTO,
ford mustang GT,
trans-am WS6,
dodge magnum R/T,
2000 + cadillac deville,

most, if not all of the aforementioned cars will be on the used market this summer, and still under warranty. the prices should range from $15,000-$25,000...well within my means, especially when summer rolls around.

Ralph
12-17-04, 11:10 PM
I've always loved those Cobras. One guy in town has a replica of a 1967 and it turns more heads that anything, well, except the guy with a light pink '59 Eldo convertible!

"Turn-Key" examples are so expensive but if one had a nice garage, tools, etc. it would sure be fun to build one with a few friends. :thumbsup:

Msilva954
12-17-04, 11:52 PM
Ya...I though bout the building of one.....but if this was one of those Lambo examples I could see that happening but besides the custom built chassis......the cobra really consists of what??? a fiber glass/steel reinforced body and thats it.....imo...i cant see where the work would be....when the time comes it would be a really hard disicison (ugh sp?)......

Researching this company more it seems as though they are a great alternitave because of the european suspension use....seems that they say its a great daily driver....i still keep a daily though....maybe ill still have the caddy then.

danbuc
12-18-04, 12:34 AM
Is that made by Superformance? Those two guys from Sports Car Revolution on Speedvision went to their factory and did a special on the company. Very, very nice product. I would put something like this in it http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/frppcrate/M6007D514.shtml

If you really wanted to be nostalgic, you could put in a 289 and put every performance part you can in it. That would give you the same hp as a big block, with alot less weight :D .

I would rather have a replica 1965 Shelby GT350 Factory Race version with the Paxton Supercharger..... :worship:, but thats just me. :rolleyes: I have only ever seen one original and it was for sale on ebay. It had no drivetrain, half the body was missing and it had no interior. Either that or an original Torino Talladega, not the production model but the one they raced that had around 600hp..hehe. A man can dream

Dream Car Garage is the show they are on. The episode where they go to South Africa to the Cobra replica company is on again on Monday at 9:00 ET.

For those of you interseted who might happen to miss that showing, its on again. This is the link to the program schedule for Dream Car Garage

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/44/

Enjoy :thumbsup:

evilrussian
12-18-04, 12:45 AM
If you like Cobras check out http://www.partsandcars.com - Cool people, I've bought my Brougham off of them. It's a hot rod shop in Orlando. I've seen some of their work - excelent machines I would say...
Maybe by the time you get one I'll build my '69 Vette ZL1 (yeah right!) and we can :burn: sometime, I live in P Pines BTW...

danbuc
12-18-04, 12:46 AM
I'll take you both on in my 66' Mustang any day..hehe :lildevil:

evilrussian
12-18-04, 12:49 AM
I'll take you both on in my 66' Mustang any day..hehe :lildevil:
Don't make me get my wife's Mirage DE or you'll be sorry! Ha-ha!

danbuc
12-18-04, 12:54 AM
OH! It's on like Donkey Kong Now! :D

HotRodSaint
12-18-04, 12:56 AM
they are acutally completly built in South Africa w/o engine and trans.

Do they make a Daytona coupe? :thumbsup:

I saw a Cobra today, and thought how cool would that be.

Now, thanks to your post, I know the price of admission.

Is that a sign? :halo: ;)

DaveSmed
12-18-04, 01:44 AM
Sounds sweet.... Except if it were me? one change, the trans. T56. Granted it is the T5 HD, but my buddies 4 cyl even managed to nuke his T5.

Msilva954
12-18-04, 10:04 AM
AHH...dammit I didnt put the website

http://www.backdraftracing.com/home.htm

There, nah they dont build a daytona coupe....im thinkin of taken a drive to boyton beach..(for those who know) to check them out again....just for fun..

Superformance was like my top choice at first (dont like Factory 5 for some reason...) they have a HUGE factory......but their price of admission is like 50 grand completed...and thats just over doing it...

These guys (backdraft Racing) increase the width of the body like 2 inches to accept 11" rear tires and rims....and the roll bar is pushed back another few to accept 6 foot and higher drivers (im currently 6'5")......these guys seem to use extremely high quality parts and materials.....the BMW individual rear and front suspension alone is what really puts this cobra reblica into a catagory of its own.....BMW brakes too.....

Final something....cant think of the name is a cobra replica part manufacture down the street from here and they have everything from engines, seats and steering wheels...

Big Block sounds nice.......460ci...for about the same price as the stroked 351.....but the (392) is much lighter and these come from africa with the mounts ready for a 302 or 351 (392).....and with cam work the already underrated 392 comes in at 490hp and 480 lbft..

danbuc.....damn thanks alot....i would have never found that out...definenty watching that.

Dead Sled
12-18-04, 12:58 PM
Superformance or Factory Five.

this is what i need the money for

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/coupe/375web.jpg

danbuc
12-18-04, 02:13 PM
Hells Yeah!!! That thing is AWESOME! :D

HotRodSaint
12-18-04, 02:44 PM
Superformance or Factory Five.

this is what i need the money for

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/coupe/375web.jpg

That's sweet.

Msilva954
12-18-04, 05:22 PM
More and more research... Factory 5 seems to be the lowest of them all....considering quality and finished product......

I was gonna get rid of the caddy after high school but I guess im gonna be holding on to it for a bit.....

Stoneage_Caddy
12-20-04, 02:55 PM
factory 5 uses fox body mustangs as a base right ?

kinda like useing fieros for them ferarri and lambo kit cars ...cant stand the thought of fieros getting hacked up for something like that

danbuc
12-21-04, 02:48 AM
I don't know if anyone else is watching, but the second episode of Dream Car Garage where they go to the Superformance factory is on right now. The first episode was on before it. If anyone missed it, I think it will be on again in two or three days. :thumbsup:

Msilva954
12-21-04, 08:52 AM
haha I missed the first one dammit....ill look for the repeat...I need a tivo

Im gonna go ahead and get the free superformance DVD and packet.....I wouldnt waste my money on the alumnium bodies they are showing...fiber glass done right is pretty good.

D148L0
12-21-04, 11:34 AM
I'll take one of each of this two, please.

AirJigga25
12-23-04, 01:51 PM
AHHH....well ive been savin and the rate im goin (gotta family business starting soon) I should have enough money to get a place when Im goin to college and save at the same time....so ive been lookin at what my choices on cars "could" be when I get out and Ive narrowed it down a couple notches.

no particular order
1. 73' Impala Coupe
2. 20xx M BMW
3. Some type of muscle car....Stang etc

And now this.......http://www.backdraftracing.com/upimages/JUneshipment089.jpg

$28,500 w/o an engine and trans.......was lookin at 392ci Windsor block figure at the time for around $6000 and 1500 for the T5 HD trans.....total around 37000.........

damn expensive but it would be awsome to own.....what makes me like this builder so much more then all the other 40 something cobra kit builders is that this is not a "do it yourself" project....they are acutally completly built in South Africa w/o engine and trans...and shipped here to Pembroke Pines/Boyton Beach....ive seen them up close and they are beautiful......

O and did I mention that they use full warrented BMW 3series front and rear suspensions......OMG they are gorgeaous.

So whats the thoughts.....right now its a dream but its not totally impracticle.

My boss has a shelby that isn't in working condition but he has one. He told me about the kit cobras and said the motors are too big and from the vibrations, the paint around the hood cracks and spiderwebs. If I was going to spend that kind of money, i'm not sure if I would get a kit cobra even though I love them, they are getting too popular. I would try to get something and customize it so no one else in the world could say they have anything like that.

Msilva954
12-23-04, 05:32 PM
Well companies like Backdraft and Superformance are not kits...they are 100% built cars just like anything you could buy off of a lot.....without the engine and trans.....then there are "kits" do it yourself type deals like Factory 5....the quality of those companies are much much lower then the first two above.