: Recommended Car Transport Companies

dennych
10-26-12, 12:33 AM
Hey guys,

I'm going to be transporting my purchased CTS-V Wagon from Oklahoma to Los Angeles. Can anyone recommend a good company with good prices? I took a look at transport review and I'm not sure I can fully trust that site.

So far I've been in discussions with car safe direct. They claim to be the only ones with insurance on top of the carrier's insurance.

MacBuster
10-26-12, 12:37 AM
I'm using JP Logistics.

luderchris
10-26-12, 01:44 AM
Go onto Uship.com .

I used them to find the transport company I used - Montway Transport.

There are reviews, etc on the site and they will auction the transport.

From MN to PA , 1100+ miles and 17+ hours was $590. Very reasonable.

Hope that helps.

Chris

SoCalCTSV
10-26-12, 01:48 AM
American Airlines.

Fly there and drive the damn thing back!

luderchris
10-26-12, 02:34 AM
American Airlines.

That's what I was planning to do, until I realized it was much less hassle.....and cheaper to put it on a truck.

I flew out to MI and drive my V1 home to PA 3 years ago though.

dennych
10-26-12, 02:48 AM
American Airlines.

That was my plan, until I didn't want to die

jzchen
10-26-12, 05:50 AM
Used DAS to ship our '92 190E from Los Angeles to Cleveland. Had a little issue with the transmission. I ended up using them to ship it back two years later. No problems this time. You might like to check them out: www.dasautoshippers.com. They had a drop off/pickup location in Gardena, and had a drop off/pickup in Cleveland as well, with flexible schedules.

smiley47
10-26-12, 02:24 PM
I found my 2012 Vagon in Milwaukee. Wired the $$$, jumped on a flight to ORD, the dealer picked me up, quick trip to the dealership and I was on my way back to Scottsdale.
The break-in was over on day one and I had a blast driving her home. I haven't had that much fun in a long time and the total cost,( fuel, food, 2 motels) was cheaper than the cost of an enclosed carrier. It was about 1800 miles I could have done it in two days but I took three.

Just grab a good radar detector, book a one way flight and do it. You won't regret it.

dennych
10-26-12, 04:15 PM
I agree that driving back would have been better. But the random weather conditions and my limited time table prohibit that option.

Looks like I'm gonna try safe car direct. Hopefully they get me the appropriate date

mkiiina
10-26-12, 05:23 PM
I jsut got my V shipped from MN to TX and used DAS. The spouse of one of the co-workers happens to work for them and got me my car ALOT quicker than expected, car arrived in great condition. This is the 3rd car I have had them ship and its always been great.

SRTVIPER03
10-26-12, 06:06 PM
I've used Reliable and am very happy with them.

dennych
10-26-12, 06:10 PM
is it true none of these guys are actual carriers. But brokers that shop your offer around?
That always seemed odd to me and explains how they can claim to always match prices.... Kind of shady but I guess it's how the industry works.

smiley47
10-26-12, 07:08 PM
Reliable is a real carrier and is owned by Allied Van Lines.

simgolfer
10-26-12, 07:52 PM
Go onto Uship.com .

I used them to find the transport company I used - Montway Transport.

There are reviews, etc on the site and they will auction the transport.

From MN to PA , 1100+ miles and 17+ hours was $590. Very reasonable.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Did exactly the same thing with shipping my V from Texas to California and Montway sold my car shipment without telling me nor the dealer which delayed things. Car ultimately showed up but wary of future use. If I had the time, I would have made a trip of it to bring it home.

Xaqtly
10-26-12, 07:56 PM
I used DAS for mine, I paid for expedited shipping and they blew the delivery date by 3 days. it was still within their normal estimate, but they couldn't make the expedited date I paid extra for. The car was fine, though.

Karch
10-26-12, 08:57 PM
Denny,

I also had to look into this. I did a pretty decent search, and I kept finding very positive reviews about these guys (link below). I don't have any personal experience, but I don't recall getting any negative remarks, just very positive.

For the record, I was quoted just under $800 a couple of months ago, for 1500 miles.

If you do go with them, let me know what you think.

I changed directions and figured, with knowing how I am, I rather fly out and drive back. I am NOT looking forward to the drive, really, but I know I would be really anxious knowing it was picked up, and waiting til it got here. I don't do well with that kind of waiting. Plus, there are a few parts I will have in the trunk, and they don't guarantee any extras like that.

http://goldenkeyexpress.com Ask for Misty.

dennych
10-26-12, 09:29 PM
Denny,

I also had to look into this. I did a pretty decent search, and I kept finding very positive reviews about these guys (link below). I don't have any personal experience, but I don't recall getting any negative remarks, just very positive.

For the record, I was quoted just under $800 a couple of months ago, for 1500 miles.

If you do go with them, let me know what you think.

I changed directions and figured, with knowing how I am, I rather fly out and drive back. I am NOT looking forward to the drive, really, but I know I would be really anxious knowing it was picked up, and waiting til it got here. I don't do well with that kind of waiting. Plus, there are a few parts I will have in the trunk, and they don't guarantee any extras like that.

http://goldenkeyexpress.com Ask for Misty.

Thanks I'll get a quote for them just in case

RapidRob
10-26-12, 10:48 PM
If I was having a new car shipped, I would NOT use an open carrier shipper. It's probably cheaper to do so versus an enclosed shipper, but .... !?

Rob

jzchen
10-27-12, 04:08 PM
is it true none of these guys are actual carriers. But brokers that shop your offer around?
That always seemed odd to me and explains how they can claim to always match prices.... Kind of shady but I guess it's how the industry works.

DAS is a carrier. Others can comment on the other options...

MIAdragon
10-27-12, 07:20 PM

I own a transport brokerage firm. Most drivers have neither the time nor inclination to do their own marketing (or customer service for that matter). Trust me you would be furious with the level of support 99% of the drivers would give if you booked directly. If I can answer any questions feel free to ask.

jb_bgg
10-29-12, 04:20 PM
Thomas Sunday - used them to bring my C5 from Va to CA. On time, fully enclosed, great communication and cust service start to finish, not a mark on it. http://www.sundayautotransport.com/

Junior1
10-29-12, 05:44 PM
Reliable Carriers
InterCity Lines

Precious Metals
High End Transport
Passport Transport
Horseless Carriage

They are pretty busy now with the SEMA show this week...

dennych
10-31-12, 07:02 PM
Working with safe car direct. Guy says they unusually don't get the carrier and date until a few days before.

I just hope they don't suddenly go "Oh sorry the only carrier you can get within your time frame is going to cost you $xxxx" and jack up my quoted estimated price.

dennych
11-07-12, 07:37 PM
Looks like I got a carrier assigned for the day, looks like the broker pockets around 200 and the carrier around 900 for my transport.
Looked up the carrier and it seems ok. I guess for the broker you get the benefit of them getting a date you need with their rolodex of carriers but it costs more. Given my time constraint I think it was the right move

DBCTSV
11-07-12, 07:47 PM
I highly recommend Reliable Carriers. I just shipped my race car from Minnesota to Rhode Island with them.

Dr. Design
11-08-12, 04:25 PM
LA Car Prep just transported (6) of our SEMA Show vehicles in there near sterile transporters. We would highly recommend using LA PREP www.lapreptransport.com.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/sema-2012-cadillac-d3/cadillac-d3-headed-to-sema-2012-carrier.jpg
http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/sema-2012-cadillac-d3/cadillac-d3-headed-to-sema-2012-cts-v-green.jpg
http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/sema-2012-cadillac-d3/cadillac-d3-headed-to-sema-2012-cts-v.jpg
http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/sema-2012-cadillac-d3/cadillac-d3-headed-to-sema-2012-srx.jpg
http://www.lapreptransport.com/images/home_06.jpg

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

neuronbob
11-08-12, 08:00 PM
OT, but that is the best-looking SRX I've ever seen. Once again, D3 knows how to do a car up.

Dollar Bill
01-09-13, 11:17 AM

It IS true. Most of them have no trucks of their own. When you place a shipment with them, they list it on a Board called "Central Dispatch" truckers can access this site and see if they will be in the area for pickup and delivery and if they have an open space on their carrier.

It is an unregulated industry. If you go online and ask a few "shippers" your name will be spread around and many people will call and email you, many seem very shadey. Some ask for an upfront deposit of about 20%. Detractors will tell you that these people may be after your credit card info.

Others don't ask for an upfront deposit until they book a shipper. Detractors from them will tell you that "no trucker will take a shipment unless a deposit has been placed. ????

Then there are shippers who claim they ship 5,000 cars a month, yet they only have about 40 feedbacks. These 40 poeple could be their friends giving incorrect FB, as they do not have to be involved in a transaction to leave FB.

Personally I like Montway. They have about 2700 feedback points. I am trying them right now to get a 1958 Eldo from the West Coast to Atlanta. They tell me that the lower priced brokers will be ignored by the truckers, lookng for a better deal. Who know??

You may be safer to go through uShip, but check carefully feedback.