: Manual vs Auto

Has No Left
10-25-12, 10:39 PM
I read that the auto is slightly quicker to 60 than the manual (3.9 vs 4.0). Was that with or without the "no lift shift" feature on the manual? Anyone know?

Also, is no Lift Shift standard on all second gen manual V's, or only on Later model years?

thebigjimsho
10-25-12, 11:27 PM
All V2s...

simgolfer
10-26-12, 12:03 AM
No lift shift available in all V2s and gives you a nice kick in the pants when you do it. Go manual, you won't regret it.

10-26-12, 06:17 AM
There are lots of differing opinions on this. But the unbiased fact is that autos are for sissies, manuals are better, the people that drive them are smarter and better looking, the cars are better looking, and girls dig guys who drive stick shifts (and of course, vice-versa).

These are all proven facts.

:yup:

M5eater
10-26-12, 07:55 AM
There are lots of differing opinions on this. But the unbiased fact is that autos are for sissies, manuals are better, the people that drive them are smarter and better looking, the cars are better looking, and girls dig guys who drive stick shifts (and of course, vice-versa).

These are all proven facts.

:yup:

this is correct. There are hundreds of studies on this by certified doctors and researchers.

I read that the auto is slightly quicker to 60 than the manual (3.9 vs 4.0). Was that with or without the "no lift shift" feature on the manual? Anyone know?

with or without it, you're only shifting once, and the auto is going to do it a couple of tenths faster than you. period.

FSTMRFR
10-26-12, 09:07 AM
I hate to jump in this thread.. but can someone explain "lift shift" I am taking that it's power shifting? ....ie: not using clutch? And the v2 has this? ...and its designed for this? I have 2011 coupe manual.... What does the car do to prevent getting stuck halfway in gear or grinding gears.... Super curious....

M5eater
10-26-12, 09:18 AM
I hate to jump in this thread.. but can someone explain "lift shift" I am taking that it's power shifting? ....ie: not using clutch? And the v2 has this? ...and its designed for this? I have 2011 coupe manual.... What does the car do to prevent getting stuck halfway in gear or grinding gears.... Super curious....

No lift shift allows you to keep the accelerator pedal floored while using the clutch and being able to shift.

The ECU momentarialy interrupts power when the condition is detected without having you to 'lift' on the shift.

You need to be able to shift pretty quickly and it's very tricky to learn. If you don't have your foot planted the ECU will not engage the feature and you'll just bounce off the rev limiter.

all V2's have this feature.

garfin
10-26-12, 09:19 AM

The car is NOT designed to be shifted without using the clutch. It is designed to be shifted (using the clutch) as fast as you possibly can, coordinating the clutch and shift lever actions at the same time, without lifting your foot off the gas pedal (or simply keeping the gas pedal buried to the floor).

Best regards,

Elie

Crystal Red CTS-V
10-26-12, 10:31 AM
The key is to not lift off the throttle as that cancels the feature and you're on your own. My Z06 has this, and it feels a little odd, but it works!

Has No Left
10-26-12, 10:56 AM
When using the no lift shift for 1-2 an perhaps even 2-3 shifts, do you get a lot of wheel spin or just a nice satisfying chirp?

larry arizona
10-26-12, 11:07 AM
nope you can and will blast the tires on a 1-2 ,2-3 and 3-4 on a NLS under the right conditions and depending the level of TC you have on.

Torxila
10-26-12, 08:19 PM
When using the no lift shift for 1-2 an perhaps even 2-3 shifts, do you get a lot of wheel spin or just a nice satisfying chirp?

Does this help you? 1st to 2nd NLS

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/MTDrs3.jpg

Just breaking in the Mickey Thompson's

tedcmiller
10-26-12, 11:18 PM
M5eater is correct in that the automatic transmission shifts faster than anyone with a manual transmission can. That is why it is faster (it is). I have two CTS-Vs and both are automatic. Automatic is the way to go. Autos can be shifted manually if desired and still be faster. The bulls___ about girls "digging" guys with manuals is just that - bulls___. There are no studies. I will probably be flamed by the manual transmission people for this, but that is OK.

thebigjimsho
10-26-12, 11:38 PM
I don't get offended by robots...

larry arizona
10-27-12, 12:12 PM
autos are faster we all know that. but 6m has far more fun factor FACT.

McGuffy
10-27-12, 12:16 PM
Shifting is fun, but gets old if you drive a lot in heavy traffic. If it's a dd, get an auto. If it's a weekend toy, get a manual.

M5eater
10-27-12, 12:41 PM
M5eater is correct in that the automatic transmission shifts faster than anyone with a manual transmission can. That is why it is faster (it is). I have two CTS-Vs and both are automatic. Automatic is the way to go. Autos can be shifted manually if desired and still be faster. The bulls___ about girls "digging" guys with manuals is just that - bulls___. There are no studies. I will probably be flamed by the manual transmission people for this, but that is OK.

Oh buddy...tisk tisk
http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=247344&stc=1&d=1324611339

by the way.

the 242MPH Hennessy 1200 CTS-V. IE the one that recenelty ran 220MPH on the new Texas 85mph interchange.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/25/watch-hennessey-tuned-cadillac-cts-v-run-over-220-mph-on-a-texas/

Manual.
BA-ZING
http://www.angryasianman.com/images/angry/emilychang_ba-zing.jpg

larry arizona
10-27-12, 02:30 PM
ohhhh that just happened!:yup:

JFJr
10-27-12, 02:54 PM
M5eater is correct in that the automatic transmission shifts faster than anyone with a manual transmission can. That is why it is faster (it is).Top speed of the manual is 191; the auto 175; therefore, the manual is faster. The auto reaches 60 mph a gnat's ass sooner than the manual; therefore, it is quicker to 60. Beyond that I don't know.

Jud

larry arizona
10-27-12, 03:02 PM
I could care less if stock for stock the auto is slightly quicker, With mods it all ends up evening out and reality is most get stuck buying an auto as some form of compromise. There are three main reasons why you would opt for an auto over a manual in a performance car 1) its your daily driver and you are not comfortable driving a stick in traffic. 2) The wife either can't drive a manual or gives you a hard time about buying a manual 3) you can't drive a manual.

If you are a pure 1/4 miler you will opt for the 6A as you can be so consistent and squeeze every possible 10th out of your time, I get that.

flatrockguy
10-27-12, 03:11 PM
6M's are just more fun to drive:D

GAGS-V2
10-27-12, 03:55 PM
I was ready to buy a V2 from one salesman that had the snobbish air say"the auto is faster". This was right after I told him I wanted the manual and I like to "row the gears". Needless to say, I bought from another dealer.

SoCalCTSV
10-27-12, 04:09 PM
I set out to look for a manual DD for my 60 mile SoCal commute cause I was bored. I found the V coupe as a better grown up alternative to the Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers and more personality than a German sports sedan.

SleeperCTSV
10-27-12, 05:43 PM
I could care less if stock for stock the auto is slightly quicker, With mods it all ends up evening out and reality is most get stuck buying an auto as some form of compromise. There are three main reasons why you would opt for an auto over a manual in a performance car 1) its your daily driver and you are not comfortable driving a stick in traffic. 2) The wife either can't drive a manual or gives you a hard time about buying a manual 3) you can't drive a manual.

If you are a pure 1/4 miler you will opt for the 6A as you can be so consistent and squeeze every possible 10th out of your time, I get that.

Regarding reason number 2; when I had this dilemma with my G8 GXP purchase, I had many people telling me to get an auto my wife included. I got the auto. My wife drove it only about 3 times in the 2.5yrs I had it. It was a decision I always regretted. The car was great except for the fact that I just did not have that special connection with the car that one can get when manually shifting. When I get a V, I'm sure you can guess what the transmission will be...

SoCalCTSV
10-27-12, 06:18 PM
Unless its her money or you have a vagina, reason number 2 is not a reason.

SleeperCTSV
10-27-12, 06:35 PM
Exactly. wait... damnit.

lol

JFJr
10-27-12, 06:46 PM
It really isn't important, none of us will change our minds about transmission preference based on others' opinions on this forum. What's important is that GM recognize that a significant amount of us still like the driving experience offered by a real manual transmission, not some contraption used primarily in racing, and continue to refine the manual setup. It would be great to make the manual standard and the auto optional, at extra cost, like it should be.

Jud

larry arizona
10-27-12, 10:51 PM
i will bet that the majority who chose a 6A was due to #2. sad but true.

tedcmiller
10-27-12, 11:22 PM
I chose an automatic but not for reason #2. My wife has only driven my CTS-V one time. She has her own CTS-V and it too is an automatic (her choice). The reasons given don't cover all the possibilities. JFJr is correct, nobody is going to change their preference because of anything said on this forum.

silverstreaker
10-27-12, 11:42 PM
Ideally, I wanted a black manual coupe. I got a silver automatic sedan. For and auto, its still a thrill and I couldn't imagine what the manual would be like. Next car will be the car I wanted but I got a great deal and it got my foot in the door.

tedcmiller
10-27-12, 11:55 PM
I'll tell you. The manual is a pain in the ass (response to "... I couldn't imagine ...). M5eater, I haven't been flamed once. In any case, going over the speed limit is illegal. So the automatic has a somewhat lower top speed. So what, those speeds are illegal and unsafe (except on a private, closed course).

pat2t2f
10-28-12, 06:21 AM
Ted, I don't think any of us plan on going 191 mph on a street (maybe somewhere in the Midwest) but there is something to be said for having a 200 mph Cadillac (yes, I am rounding up). Also, this is all opinion. I love the manual. I think it's easy to drive, even in traffic, and to have any American wagon with a manual tranny, let alone a Cadillac, is a rarity. If I got another V it would be a manual also. I am happy for you an glad you are enjoying your auto.
Btw, to the point someone else made, the Manual is faster by almost 20 moh. That is fact, not opinion. The auto is slightly quicker, not faster.

M5eater
10-28-12, 07:32 AM
Ted, I don't think any of us plan on going 191 mph on a street (maybe somewhere in the Midwest) but there is something to be said for having a 200 mph Cadillac (yes, I am rounding up)
No, really, don't bother. why am I even typing this?

kthxbie.

V locity
10-28-12, 09:51 AM

Also, is no Lift Shift standard on all second gen manual V's, or only on Later model years?

The answers are in the search, grrrrassshoppa:

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php?carmodel=849&op1=%3E%3D&data1=2009&search2=et&op2=%3C%3D&data2=&days=10000000&carmake=7&name=Search+DragTimes

Oh... search Junkie & rabbit also

dqw1
10-28-12, 10:05 AM
I don't why this argument matters.

M5eater
10-28-12, 10:13 AM

The car's so good we have nothing else to argue about I suppose.

There are no K04 vs Tial 660R discussions in here,even on another forum. Everything that can be done to an LS has been done. It's just being wrapped in a new package with the V. Or it's figuring out how to adapt a cool piece of something that's been done a dozen times before to the V.

life in GM land is boring some times, and I'd never thought I'd hear myself saying 800HP 10 second car's are boring.

Trapspeed
10-28-12, 10:13 AM

Exactly. We are all driving Vs, one of the baddest cars on the planet. Rejoice!!!

dqw1
10-28-12, 11:00 AM
The car's so good we have nothing else to argue about I suppose.

There are no K04 vs Tial 660R discussions in here,even on another forum. Everything that can be done to an LS has been done. It's just being wrapped in a new package with the V. Or it's figuring out how to adapt a cool piece of something that's been done a dozen times before to the V.

life in GM land is boring some times, and I'd never thought I'd hear myself saying 800HP 10 second car's are boring.
ok, what is the K04 vs Tial 600R?

M5eater
10-28-12, 12:01 PM
ok, what is the K04 vs Tial 600R?

B5 S4 APB engine speak.

K04's are BW OEM RS4 turbos, Tial 605/770's bolt up to the OEM exhaust flanges and are made specifically for the platform (the 2.7TT is a very tight package)

They also cost ~ $1500 more though.

neuronbob
10-28-12, 01:01 PM

Agree....
Jeeeminy Christmas. First World problems here.....

tedcmiller
10-28-12, 01:41 PM
Speeds of over 75 MPH are illegal anywhere in the US (including, now, Montanna). Any car, repeat any, will exceed this speed. The question is how fast can you get to the legal limit. That is where cars like the CTS-V excel (manual or automatic). I agree with the last few posters (like nueronbob) - this is a stupid argument, and I don't plan to participate in it anymore).

Ludacrisvp
10-28-12, 01:46 PM
Speeds of over 75 MPH are illegal anywhere in the US (including, now, Montanna). Any car, repeat any, will exceed this speed. The question is how fast can you get to the legal limit. That is where cars like the CTS-V excel (manual or automatic). I agree with the last few posters (like nueronbob) - this is a stupid argument, and I don't plan to participate in it anymore).

You are WRONG.
Texas has 1 road 41 mile stretch that has the speed limit of 85mph. There is even a video of a CTS V going 220mph on this road.

larry arizona
10-28-12, 02:14 PM
Southern Utah has some 85MPH stretches now.

thebigjimsho
10-28-12, 03:08 PM
And Texas has had 80 in spots for years...

M5eater
10-28-12, 03:52 PM
I thought we all voted to just ignore ted?

10-28-12, 04:56 PM

This argument matters because it is critical to make everyone agree with "our" individual opinion. And, this argument is more exciting because, as our presidential nominees have proven, it is OK to invent facts when stating your case. So, in addition to all the benefits of a manual that have already been stated, manual transmissions actually feed the hungry, reverse global warming, and is a cure for many ills including the common cold, urinary infections, and diarrhea.

No automatic transmission has ever proven therapeutically effective in any of these areas.

So there you have it. That should end this discussion.

:halo:

JFJr
10-28-12, 06:00 PM
This argument matters because it is critical to make everyone agree with "our" individual opinion. And, this argument is more exciting because, as our presidential nominees have proven, it is OK to invent facts when stating your case. So, in addition to all the benefits of a manual that have already been stated, manual transmissions actually feed the hungry, reverse global warming, and is a cure for many ills including the common cold, urinary infections, and diarrhea.

No automatic transmission has ever proven therapeutically effective in any of these areas.

So there you have it. That should end this discussion.

:halo:

Ha haa! This discussion, often regenerated, just illustrates the difference in people. We are what we drive and our cars reflect our personalities. Don't get pissed off because it comes up more often than not. Remember, we all are driving the "right" car and I suspect if we all could have a drink at the bar, we would go away happy, for a while. But then we go at it again because we are human, and not robots. Ha haa! I like to stir the pot, too.

Jud :lildevil:

dqw1
10-28-12, 06:03 PM
B5 S4 APB engine speak.

K04's are BW OEM RS4 turbos, Tial 605/770's bolt up to the OEM exhaust flanges and are made specifically for the platform (the 2.7TT is a very tight package)

They also cost ~ $1500 more though.
The only thing I know about Audi is that they make some nice cars, especially the newer models, the interiors are the best executed in the market in my opinion and I want an R8. Let's argue who makes the best headlights.

garfin
10-28-12, 07:15 PM
I thought we all voted to just ignore ted?

No-o-o! :tisk:
I'll vote against that motion! Ted's posts add a sorely needed level of entertainment value to this forum! :yup:
Ted, FWIW I, for one, would encourage you to continue posting your thoughts, impressions and most importantly, your opinions here...and you've already demonstrated that a flame suit is not necessary! :suspense:

Best regards,

Elie

Mike02z
10-28-12, 07:27 PM
I know the auto is quicker. Not quite the visceral feeling you get with a manual. Being able to row the gears and work the clutch is a ver satisfying expereince for me and always has been. If there was not a manual V, there would not be one in my garage. You can have my manual when you pry it from my cold dead fingers :D

M5eater
10-28-12, 07:49 PM
The only thing I know about Audi is that they make some nice cars, especially the newer models, the interiors are the best executed in the market in my opinion and I want an R8. Let's argue who makes the best headlights.

My overall point was that the platform still has a growing aftermarket, so there's often discussion about the benefits and disadvantages of one upgrade versus another. You're constantly geeked out about new products or amazed at built cars.

The LS has grown to limitless proportions. The V, being only a 4 year old vehicle already has the built-in aftermarket of a 15-20 year old mass-produced camaro or mustang.

There is no new innovation. There is no 'that guy' that dumps ridiculous amounts of cash into his car and pushes what's accepted as physicaly possible from the block, trans, diff, or ect. .

You just have people that take their car to a shop or buy X parts and BAM. have 1000+whp monsters, and so on.

Or we get excited when someone makes a coolant tank.

If I wasn't all new to this kind of culture and having access to this kind of aftermarket support, I'm not sure I'd be as 'active' as I have been in these kinds of forums.

No-o-o!
I'll vote against that motion! Ted's posts add a sorely needed level of entertainment value to this forum!
Ted, FWIW I, for one, would encourage you to continue posting your thoughts, impressions and most importantly, your opinions here...and you've already demonstrated that a flame suit is not necessary!

Best regards,

Elie
Touche Elie, Touche.

neuronbob
10-28-12, 08:13 PM
I like both the automatic and the manual. I will soon be able to say that I have owned both. Howzzat for cross-aisle cooperation? Now can I be president of the forum?

:D

Sorry, had to add a little levity.

M5eater
10-28-12, 09:16 PM
I like both the automatic and the manual. I will soon be able to say that I have owned both. Howzzat for cross-aisle cooperation? Now can I be president of the forum?

:D

Sorry, had to add a little levity.

sorry. I already own that title.

I beat you to the punch; have had both.

V locity
10-28-12, 09:19 PM
Let's argue who makes the best headlights.

I'm thinking they do..:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p51sKe36eqk&feature=player_embedded#!

dqw1
10-29-12, 09:30 AM
Yep, those headlights!

thebigjimsho
10-29-12, 10:54 AM
hmm...

M5eater
10-29-12, 05:27 PM
SO I can't say 'cream my pants' in reference to a video game but youtube videos of breast-uses are OK.

Nothing against the OP.

There's sarcasm there.

And the joke's ruined. .

Trapspeed
10-29-12, 05:59 PM
I'm thinking they do..:
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p51sKe36eqk&feature=player_embedded# (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p51sKe36eqk)!

How does anyone top that?? LOL (No, misfits. Step away from the keyboard) :)