: Automatic Hi-Beam System (formerly Intellibeam)

dbeyda
10-25-12, 05:15 PM
I just got Premium XTS. Manual (section 6-2) describes Automatic Hi-Beams but not working on my car/ can't activate it. Dealer tells me it's not on the car. Does anyone have it for certain or is the dealer correct? Sorely disappointed if it's not there. I had it on my DTS and loved it.

wrtxts
10-25-12, 05:45 PM
I think dealer is correct. My platinum doesn't have it.

cblove
10-25-12, 06:35 PM
I have a platinum xts4 with a build date of August 2012. When I go to settings then lighting, I only have
two options:

Vehicle locator lights
Exit lighting

Auto high beam and daytime tails lights are not available

rustybear3
10-26-12, 09:24 AM
:cookoo:WOW! The New ATS has auto high beam....can't believe it isn't offered on XTS! It activates after 40 mph speeds and has auto high beam switch. :cookoo:

Though checking your manual online, under 6.2 it talks about having that option on your XTS.....Auto high beam indicator...:banghead:

Jolynch57
11-14-12, 05:26 PM
I have a Black on Black Platinum XTS. I had an STS before the XTS. I really liked the auto high beam feature on the STS. I thought the XTS had it but I cant get it to work. In digging into the owners manual I see the following options:

Lighting
. Vehicle Locator Lights
. Exit Lighting
. Auto High Beam
. Daytime Tail Lights
Vehicle Locator Lights
This feature will flash the exterior
lights when K on the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter is pressed to locate the vehicle.
Press Vehicle Locator Lights. Press to select Off or On. Press 0 to go back to the last menu.
Exit Lighting
This allows the selection of how long the exterior lamps stay on when leaving the vehicle when it is dark outside.
Select the Lighting menu and the following will be displayed:
Select the Language menu and the
following will be displayed:
Press to select the language. Press 0 to go back to the last menu.
5-48 Instruments and Controls
Press Exit Lighting. Press to select Off, 30 Seconds, 60 Seconds,
or 120 Seconds. Press 0 to go back to the last menu.
Auto High Beam
This allows the Auto High Beam to be turned on or off.
Press Auto High Beam. Press to select Off or On. On some vehicles select Off, Normal Sensitivity,
or Low Sensitivity. Press 0 to go back to the last menu.
Daytime Tail Lights
This feature allows the taillamps to be on during the day.
Press Daytime Tail Lights. Press to select Off or On. Press 0 to go back to the last menu.

I looked at my options and the Auto High Beam option is not in the menu.

Any suggestions?

thanks

DG2
11-14-12, 09:05 PM
Button to the left of your Onstar button. Usually the button the farthest lest like on your STS.

Jolynch57
11-14-12, 09:58 PM
There is no button to the left of Onstar

rayle
11-14-12, 10:01 PM
Your vehicle probably doesn't have it. Manuals are often wrong. Check out this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-xts-forum/273199-automatic-hi-beam-system-formerly-intellibeam.html

Jolynch57
11-15-12, 08:50 AM
That is a bummer. Maybe a future software update?

rayle
11-17-12, 04:29 PM
As I was looking at the online manual for something else, I came upon the section discussing the Auto High Beam system and thought of your thread here. Have you thoroughly read pages 6-2 and 6-3 of the manual? There is a special icon (with an A) that appears in the instrument panel if the High Beam system is on automatic. Not sure if the icon is there all the time or only when the high beams are auto activated. As you'll read, it has to be dark enough outside and you have to be going over 25 MPH with no other cars around before the high beams come on automatically. That may also be the only time the special icon (with an A) appears.

I wonder if you actually DO have it but just don't have the option in the DIC to adjust it . . . ?

Jolynch57
11-18-12, 09:47 AM
I think a future upgrade to the CUE may give us the option.....I will ask the dealer when I go in for my first oil change.

danscrim
11-20-12, 10:01 AM
:cookoo:WOW! The New ATS has auto high beam....can't believe it isn't offered on XTS! It activates after 40 mph speeds and has auto high beam switch. :cookoo:

Though checking your manual online, under 6.2 it talks about having that option on your XTS.....Auto high beam indicator...:banghead:

I have a Premium ATS and I don't think I have Auto High Beam. Are you sure the new ATS has it? I know the manual says we do but I haven't been able to find it.

Johnfran
11-24-12, 07:28 PM
Have a premium XTS and the book says how to activate. have looked at info on xts and there no mention of auto high beams. Car with so much hard to believe its not there. Maybe all it needs is a software update to include the option.

pkadanec
11-26-12, 03:51 PM
Any idea on whether or not this feature is enabled yet on the XTS?

----------

Any idea on whether or not this feature is enabled yet on the XTS?

http://maps.google.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=35.256020,-81.106957&zoom=14&markers=35.256020,-81.106957&size=400x300&sensor=true

pkadanec
11-26-12, 03:57 PM
At the dealer now. They have no idea. Anyone from GM care to comment?

Cadillac Tony
11-26-12, 04:19 PM
I'm not from GM (just a salesman), but I doubt Intellibeam can be added via software.

Other Cadillac models with that feature (such as Escalade and DTS) have a large black box behind the rearview mirror with a directional photocell to detect other cars' lights and deactivate the high beams. This box is visibly different than the module for rainsense and lane departure warning camera that XTSs are equipped with, and models with both features have both boxes.

None of our preliminary training materials indicated that US models XTSs would have this feature. It's possible that it was planned at some point and then decided against after the manuals were sent for printing, or that export models (UAE, UK, etc) have it and the US books were improperly printed. I've seen both happen before regarding features on other cars.

I'm not the final word from GM (far from it), but that's the situation as best I can tell.

rustybear3
11-28-12, 11:34 AM
I have a Premium ATS and I don't think I have Auto High Beam. Are you sure the new ATS has it? I know the manual says we do but I haven't been able to find it.

The system activates when you set your left signal stalk to the auto position. It is controlled by a sensor located in the top middle of your windshield.

The system only activates the high
beams when driving over 40 km/h
(25 mph).
There is a sensor near the top
center of the windshield, which
automatically controls the system.
Keep this area of the windshield
clear of debris to allow for best
system performance.

If you don't see that sensor, you don't have intellibeam....I've tried it and it does activate at night when there is no oncoming traffic and your going over about 25 mph.

In some states it is illegal to have this system....perhaps that is why some have it and some don't. :bigroll:

pkadanec
11-28-12, 12:20 PM
I have a 2013 XTS Premium and the same instructions are in the owners
manual, however I have been unable to activate this feature. I was at the
dealer this week and they say that it is available, but they have not had
anyone ask about it nor have they been able to validate that it is working.

Cadillac Tony
11-28-12, 01:23 PM
Intellibeam is not available on US Spec XTS or ATS. The owner's manual is incorrect.

The GM RPO code for Intellibeam is TQ5, and neither model has that code listed in its available options.

pkadanec
11-28-12, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the update, however I am sure that is a concern for not just me as this was an advertised option. I will have some comments for my dealer to be sure as they are selling this as an installed option.

thebigjimsho
11-28-12, 11:08 PM
Intellibeam is not available on US Spec XTS or ATS. The owner's manual is incorrect.

The GM RPO code for Intellibeam is TQ5, and neither model has that code listed in its available options.

Someone seems to have a vivid imagination, then...

rayle
11-28-12, 11:56 PM
Thank you, Cadillac Tony, for sorting that out. Good to know.

pkadanec
11-29-12, 09:56 AM
I would guess that this is the case with several of the other features that are clearly in the manual that do not seem to work i.e. adaptive cruise control.

Cadillac Tony
11-29-12, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the update, however I am sure that is a concern for not just me as this was an advertised option. I will have some comments for my dealer to be sure as they are selling this as an installed option.

Out of curiosity, where did you see it advertised? None of our training prior to release indicated it would be there, and I even recall talk here on the forums before launch where people voiced their disapproval that it wouldn't be offered.

I would guess that this is the case with several of the other features that are clearly in the manual that do not seem to work i.e. adaptive cruise control.

Many options in the owner's manual say "if equipped" next to them, since they're part of an option package your vehicle may or may not have. Adaptive Cruise control is part of the Driver Assist Package. If your car has that option, it works exactly as described.

rustybear3
11-29-12, 11:27 AM
I Took my ATS to the dealership this morning (over a driver door problem) and to see whether I do or do not have this automatic headlight feature .....my headlamps go to high occasionally as I was driving, so I assume I had them and they were working. Apparently, this feature is not available ( I was mistaking the light sensor in the middle of the windshield as the auto headlight; it's the rain sensor) and instead, I have an intermittent short in the headlight wiring harness. They gave me a new CTS Coupe to drive why they try to fix this. Seems like this had been planned for then scrapped for the XTS and ATS.

pkadanec
11-29-12, 12:19 PM
All are stated clearly as options included in the owners manual for the XTS Premium.

JSenecal
11-30-12, 03:13 AM
I remember prerelease info on the Cadillac site listing the automatic high beams, but that quietly disappeared, I think about the time the price was announced.

Jolynch57
12-04-12, 01:45 PM
Why not have it? I had it inky XTS.

pkadanec
12-04-12, 02:41 PM
whatever we call it, it is misleading and the dealers (at least mine) have no idea that it is not available.

dbeyda
12-09-12, 02:42 AM
Thank you all for your responses. It is clear the feature is sadly not on the car.

CDN XTS
12-09-12, 11:05 PM
Glad I read this. Re-checked the Brochure and On-line seletion for Canada as to the Platinum I ordered on Aug 31/12.
A) Adaptive Cruise Control
Brochure reads Driver Assistance Package as Standard and also under Cruise Control but there is an elevated little "1" listed next to it which means "Interim Availability". whatever that means. LOL. The same applies for the "Standard" Automatic Collision Preparation and Standard Automatic Front and Rear Braking items listed separately and my sales person actually initialled this in the brochure as being part of what I ordered as I was concered as to the "1" indication. Those latter two items were also listed as part of the Driver Assistance Package.
On the On-line selection (at least NOW), the basic Platinum doesn't even list (basic) Cruise Control, which the brochure lists as Standard for XTS and Luxury, but NOW has an "option" for a CDN$2.495 Driver Assistance Package, which when selected then shows all three items. Thus now it seems you either get only all three as an option or none, and, based on the listing, not even the (basic) cruise control. Must have overlooked that in August or, most likely as I really checked for any available option, it was not an optional item at that time.
B) Twilight Sentinel
Brochure reads under Lights among other lines "Daytime running lights with automatic light control and Twilight Sentinel" as Standard for ALL models. No extra qualifications notes here.
On the On-line selection it is now not listed at all. Don't know what it was in August! Bummer!!!:confused:

I guess I have to discuss with the dealer the item (A) issue. Looks to me as a subsequent "increase in price". Whatever, given I have not yet received the car, (now has a "tentative" production date for the week of Jan 7/13.) there should be no reason for the dealer not to be able to make sure my car will have it, whether or not I would have to now pay extra. With his initial in the brochure I should not have to pay extra. I seem to be out of luck as to "B".:ill: Trust it has at least automatic light control which is even available on the smallest GM car now.

rayle
12-10-12, 08:34 AM
Your vehicle will definitely have "B" -- Daytime Running Lamps and Automatic Headlamps (formerly known as Twilight Sentinel). "Automatic Headlamps" just means that the headlights will come on automatically when it gets dark outside if you have the control set to AUTO. It has been determined on this thread, however, that "automatic high beam" is not an option on any XTS model.

The Tony Show
12-10-12, 09:51 AM
Online feature lists and brochures always have a disclaimer to the extent of "Manufacturer not responsible for errors and reserves the right to change packages without notice, blah blah blah".

Your best bet is to ask them to check your order and see if it has the RPO code for the Driver Assist package. If it doesn't and you really want that package, order another car or have them dealer trade. Pointing out what an online guide says won't change how your car was built.

CDN XTS
12-10-12, 09:48 PM
@ rayle: Thanks, I thought "Intellibeam" was the funtion that dimms the hi-beam automatically when another car aproaches. Obviously of no use on hightly travelled roads.

@ The Tony Show: Yeah, I know about those pesky qualifyers. Not sure that alows changing prices after a contract is signed. But I had ask the sales person in August to confirm with Cadillac that my car would have that feature (and others with the "1") and the Sales Manager did while I was there, and I was given an affirmative answer. I now assume that resulted in the suddenly stated wait time of 3 months qouted on Aug 31 from the initially indicated 4 to 6 weeks as based on info in the forum that this specific cruise option would only be available in late fall, although I was not told any reason for the longer wait time. I have already forwarded my post to my sales person and have ask him to check into it and to make sure my car when (hopefully) built in Jan. next year will have this feature for sure and he phoned that he will contact Cadillac and make sure I will have it and will confirm it to me. (hopefully without asking for extra funds, given what had been said at the outset, LOL)

thebigjimsho
12-11-12, 12:01 AM
Are you Rainman?

rayle
12-11-12, 11:11 AM
@ rayle: Thanks, I thought "Intellibeam" was the funtion that dimms the hi-beam automatically when another car aproaches. Obviously of no use on hightly travelled roads.

Automatic Headlamps (formerly Twilight Sentinel) - Turns headlamps and tail lights on automatically if control set to AUTO. (In Canada, the headlamps will automatically reactivate when the vehicle is shifted out of P (Park).)

Automatic High-Beam (formerly Intellibeam) - Turns high-beam headlamps on and off according to surrounding traffic conditions.

XTS Owner's Manual 6.1: http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals_and_Videos/03_pdf/2013-xts-owner-manual-2k.pdf

PasqualeB
04-03-13, 05:38 PM
GM Customer Service made an appointment with my Service Department for my 2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum to be inspected for this issue. They found the following maintenance bulletin covering the issue.

dan1166
04-09-13, 10:38 PM
Does anyone know, if this will be available on the 2014 XTS ?

Dan

JSenecal
04-11-13, 01:14 AM
Katie once posted that it would be.

corvette00
04-15-13, 10:27 AM
The word I got from Cadillac is they are coming on the 14

RicktheRealtor
04-15-13, 04:51 PM
The more important question should be "what will they be removing"? . You all know GM with their de-content history.

GTPprix
04-15-13, 11:25 PM
Ok so I've put in more than a few hours on this and have it working to factory spec again! (its pretty awesome) The question I have is if I make this a ship in service (I'm not selling anything here yet) of a single small easy to remove module would people buy it?

I'm not a sponsor so I'm not selling anything merely gauging interest to the point of should I become a sponsor or not.

ral1960
04-16-13, 12:34 AM
According to this post at GMI, they're putting Intellibeam on the ATS and SRX, so it must be on the XTS, too.http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f15/meet-your-2014-cadillac-lineup-117709/

GTPprix
04-16-13, 07:57 AM
According to this post at GMI, they're putting Intellibeam on the ATS and SRX, so it must be on the XTS, too.http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f15/meet-your-2014-cadillac-lineup-117709/

If you buy a new one yes I'm talking about those of us that have one already ;)

dbeyda
05-05-13, 02:44 AM
Yes, I would be interested. I am the original poster of this issue. You may contact me directly. Dmbeyda@yahoo.com.

ncdanny
10-15-14, 06:36 PM
High beams would randomly come on and stay on (during day, at night). Then about 2 weeks ago, they started staying on even after car was turned off. Mech says diagnosis indicates it needs a new sensor which does NOT come separate from the rearview mirror ($457.13+$90 for the diag/install). Am I missing something that's obvious to you all that we should check b4 ordering a new rearview mirror assembly?

SFVetteman
10-15-14, 10:39 PM
What's with the prices?...This is a warranty problem.

Bill

Classic-Chevy-Guy
10-17-14, 03:25 AM
I have a 2014 XTS Luxury Edition and have this option.

gator2305
10-17-14, 11:53 AM
The "Intellibeam" and folding mirrors are finally supposed return and be on the 2015 XTS. Don't hold your breath though. Cadillac has been known to misrepresent what is and what is not on their cars. Several are complaining about thinking they were getting "Massaging Seats" like the DTS had and discovered that also was incorrect.

Montiniauto
11-30-14, 03:39 PM
I have them on my 2014 premium. Double click high beam lever forward.

330GT
11-30-14, 06:48 PM
The "Intellibeam" and folding mirrors are finally supposed return and be on the 2015 XTS. Don't hold your breath though. Cadillac has been known to misrepresent what is and what is not on their cars. Several are complaining about thinking they were getting "Massaging Seats" like the DTS had and discovered that also was incorrect.

If you did not special order your XTS and you're not sure as to what equipment is on your XTS, take a look at the SPI tag in the trunk. If you don't know where to look in the trunk, do a search here. Adaptive Forward Lighting Headlamps T95 and Intellibeam Headlamps is TQ5 as per the updated RPO listing dated April 2014. The listing is available on-line and the alphabetical section of this listing starts on page 55. You'll also find all the deleted equipment and tons of info.

The 14' have both, T95 and TQ5.

ericjohnson
12-13-14, 01:17 PM
I have a 2014 Premium XTS with the active safety system.
Took to dealer, Voss Cadillac, for Intellibeam system not working.
After several days, and working with Cadillac support, the dealer was able to get my auto high beams working as they should.
The dealer actually figured it out, and hopefully relayed that information to Cadillac support.
The fix was to reflash the Active safety control module 8F7AF.
Case 71-1381503908.