: Centric Front Rotors

baabootoo
10-25-12, 01:39 PM
I bought a set and just put them on today.I got both, off of E-Bay, for $214 shipped. They come with a two-year warranty against cracking or warping. They seem to be exactly the same, and look good too. Luckily, my old ones just popped off after one whack. I'll keep everyoe posted but have no qualms at this point.

M5eater
10-26-12, 08:01 AM
They don't look the same. At all.

If I were replacing the front rotors, I might have went with rippy or luke for a new OE set, they could have been had for ~ $150 more.

Those are regular cast iron center rotors.

The OE's are bi-alloy.. the advantages of which are as follows;
15-20% less weight
70% less thermal deflection
and since there's more open area for the fingers of the disc compred to the cast where it's all one piece, they cool down better.

Centric's a good brand(they're the parent company of stoptech), but I'd be worried about it's metelurgy if they cut corners on the cast iron center. Or maybe they simply didn't have the capability to do bi-alloy rotors. Who knows..

At least it's coated by the looks of it. You didn't happen to take any pictures of the casting quality on the vein's did you?

I was planning on picking up a set of napa ultras (they're rebadged centrics) that were coated for the rears.

Thanks for playing guinea pig in any event.

P.S.
you have a giant pipe sticking out from under your car >_>

cruiser68
10-26-12, 11:40 AM
I thought only the fronts were bi-alloy and the rears were standard style. I could be mistaken but I just put oem rears on and they looked like standard rotors.

baabootoo
10-26-12, 11:47 AM
The vanes inside look identical too. I just weighed them on a bathroom scale, and maybe the stockers are a pound lighter; 25 v 26. I figured the price, the looks, and the warranty was worth saving the money. Yes, guinea for sure.

M5eater
10-26-12, 11:51 AM
I thought only the fronts were bi-alloy and the rears were standard style. I could be mistaken but I just put oem rears on and they looked like standard rotors.
They... are?
He's replaced the front rotors. I'm talking about the front rotors.

The vanes inside look identical too. I just weighed them on a bathroom scale, and maybe the stockers are a pound lighter; 25 v 26. I figured the price, the looks, and the warranty was worth saving the money. Yes, guinea for sure.

If you just DD the car and are not routienly testing Vmax capabilities, or how far you can go before boiling the brake fluid or melting the pads. It doesn't really matter. You certinaly will not be the last to use them..

when these things depreciate down to low 20s, I'm unsure many will opt for OE rotors over aftermarket. If they're even still avaliable, and still under $400.

I like that they're coated though, it looks like from the condition your center spline is in that you need as much corrosion protection as you can get.

V Wagon
10-26-12, 01:46 PM
The open area between the hat and the disc of the stock rotors is a liability for cooling, not an asset. In brake cooling you need air to come to the center of the rotor and flow outward through the vanes. With the open space between the hat and the disc, air coming at the center area blows right through between the hat and the ring rather than making the turn to go through the vanes. Path of least resistance.

At $200 a pair compared to $600 or whatever a pair for the 2 piece rotor, these are a bargain to get proper cooling for track use. I'm thrilled to see a cheaper option here come from the aftermarket.

cruiser68
10-26-12, 02:33 PM
They... are?
He's replaced the front rotors. I'm talking about the front rotors.

My bad....from the pic, the new one looks just like a rear.