: winter driving

thegraham77
10-25-12, 12:37 PM
Anybody have any experience with the Hankook V12 tires in slush or colder temps? They seem to be fine on wet roads for me. But are they as terrible as I hear the ps2's are? I don't plan on busting through snow drifts, but there are times when I have no choice other than to drive through a little wintry mix or cold (but dry) temps/roads. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

neuronbob
10-25-12, 12:59 PM
I have the Hankook V12s as well. They are excellent in the rain with very good hydroplaning protection. So far, they the stopping is marginally better than the PS2s in cold temps (30's). However, I will not risk life and limb trying these in light snow, given they are summer tires. If you are planning to drive this car during the winter you should really purchase a set of winter tires, which will have better stopping even under dry conditions.

I'm planning to switch to my winter setup in the next ten days or so, schedule willing.

baabootoo
10-25-12, 01:17 PM
Yes. There was guy here a while ago that got caught with summer tires on, maybe NJ?, and got in accident because of it. Get something other than summer tires.

acr_vp
10-25-12, 03:50 PM
I have v12's on my V and they seem to do tons better in the colder temps than PS2's... I have PS2's on my Viper and it seems like anything lower than 50 degrees and they turn into hockey pucks. Haven't noticed a major difference in the v12's compared to summer temps, though the lowest temp I had driven on them was in the high 30's?

thebigjimsho
10-25-12, 11:19 PM
The Hankooks were decent last winter. Not in snow, though...

2012 CTS-V
10-26-12, 02:26 PM
Too much wheelspin with the ps2's when the temps go below 55 degrees.

thebigjimsho
10-26-12, 08:41 PM
More traction in cold than rain, period.