: 12yr old killed crossing road for stopped bus in neighboring county

rodnok01
10-25-12, 12:38 PM
On a fairly high use highway just across the river from me a middle school boy was hit and killed crossing the road to get on a stopped school bus this morning. Bus was stopped with arm out, hit by unlicensed driver. Sad situation for the family and the 25 kids that saw it on the bus.

A reminder to all to watch out for those buses and kiddies around the schools.

On a personal note I have had to flag two drivers down this year already that were hauling butt coming in the opposite direction of my kids bus. We live on a slight bend in the road and until the bus is stopped you cannot really see it coming at you. We moved the stop to the neighbors house to help already. I drove a school bus for a couple years and it was not unusual to be passed when stopped at least once a week even out in the country. I would not let kids off that had to cross the street until the oncoming cars had stopped because sometimes they wouldn't even with the stop arm out. The boy killed was getting on the bus around sun up, some say they shouldn't be out that early but the I had less problems when it was dark myself. I am a paranoid freak when my kid has to cross the street for the bus already.

Stingroo
10-25-12, 12:54 PM
It always pisses me off when people don't stop for school buses. That's a sad story. :(

97EldETC
10-25-12, 01:15 PM
So I know we stop for busses when the sign is out, but when the lights are flashing we proceed slowly? Also, I know both directions of traffic stop, but even on a double solid line? My instructor was stupid and didn't really teach me anything. Iv been teaching myself. Stupid DMV.

Kev
10-25-12, 01:24 PM
If the flashing lights are yellow, proceed with caution. If the flashing lights are red, STOP.

:coffee:

97EldETC
10-25-12, 01:25 PM
If the flashing lights are yellow, proceed with caution. If the flashing lights are red, STOP.

Even on a solid dbl line?

Kev
10-25-12, 01:38 PM
No, it's illegal to cross a solid double line.

97EldETC
10-25-12, 01:40 PM
No, it's illegal to cross a solid double line.

I mean even if there IS a solid double line, two way road, that I still stop with the busses stop sign correct?

Kev
10-25-12, 01:40 PM
If you haven't already, I suggest reading the DMV handbook. If you have, read it again, you may find some things you've overlooked the first time.
Here's a good link;
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/driver_handbook_toc.htm

Stingroo
10-25-12, 01:50 PM
I mean even if there IS a solid double line, two way road, that I still stop with the busses stop sign correct?

Yes. Even on a solid double yellow. You stop.

There is talk of implementing cameras on buses to snap people who don't stop for them. This is a much better idea than the money grabbing red light cameras, IMO. ATS should put their time and money into this system and actually help people, but alas.

Kev
10-25-12, 01:53 PM
I mean even if there IS a solid double line, two way road, that I still stop with the busses stop sign correct?In California, a solid double line constitutes a divided roadway. If you are on the oposite lane of a divided roadway it is legal to pass a school bus with red, flashing lights. I would do so slowly though, you never know when a little munchkin might dart out across the road without looking or thinking.

truckinman
10-25-12, 02:12 PM

The only time you don't have to stop for a bus even with it's arm out, is if you are on a 4 lane or wider road AND that road must have a grass or concrete median separating both directions of travel. At least, here in OH that's the rule

Kev
10-25-12, 02:19 PM
Each state has thier own driving laws, some vary from others. I'm sure most, like California, publish those in simplified driver handbook versions. Everyone should obtain a copy from thier state and become familiar with them. It's our individual responsibilitiy which comes with the privilage (not right) to drive. No judge or LEO will be sympathetic to anyone saying that they had lousy instructors, they will tell you what I just said.

truckinman
10-25-12, 02:21 PM
Also where I live, I'm waiting for a child or anybody really to get run over. I live in a typical apartment complex with narrow narrow "streets". We lice right where 2 of those streets intersect. And people haul ASS around these blind corners. One dip shit in an old pickup was stomping on the gas around every corner to try and drift it around these corners. He almost took out my STS! I love driving fast as much as the next guy, but here? It's just to narrow with to many blind curves and to many kids running around.

Kev
10-25-12, 02:27 PM
In California, incorporated areas are patrolled by local LEO while un-incorporated areas are patrolled by CHP. In either case, if there is a situation such as you've described, you can always petition the department of jurisdiction with a request for increased patrols in the area. That might help 'curb' some of the reckless driving.

truckinman
10-25-12, 02:33 PM
In California, incorporated areas are patrolled by local LEO while un-incorporated areas are patrolled by CHP. In either case, if there is a situation such as you've described, you can always petition the department of jurisdiction with a request for increased patrols in the area. That might help 'curb' some of the reckless driving.

You really like coffee huh. Lol. And not a bad idea. I may have to look into that

ryannel2003
10-25-12, 02:38 PM
Just read this on Raleigh's WRAL web page. Very sad for the family of this child. We once had a person ram into the back of a school bus which was stopped at a railroad crossing. I don't think a big yellow bus with a STOP sign out could be any more clear to traffic. It's ridiculous how people don't care.

orconn
10-25-12, 03:18 PM
What is it about the South and school buses? Here in central Virginia we seem to average about one to two school bus accidents (crashes) a week. Some are just fender benders but others result in injury to the kids and drivers. It seems that if the school buses can't find a passenger car or truck to run into they run into each other. The school boards don't want to hear that if they paid more than $10./hour for a less than 8 hour day they might be able to hire more highly skilled drivers to haul the county's precious cargo of school kids around.

In Los Angeles where de facto busing was in effect and the school buses far outnumbered those in use by the districts here in Central Virginia there were far fewer accidents involving school buses than there are here in this far less congested generally rural area.

CadillacLuke24
10-25-12, 06:45 PM
Driving tests should include a surrounding environment awareness section. Some people (especially a majority of the MORONS of my generation) think that the second they turn 16 they absolutely must have and deserve a car. Not so.

If my kid ever asks me for a car (granted I get that far) I'm going to do what I heard this one dad do:

*This kid came home one day and told his dad "I need a car Dad! I just gotta have one" So his dad left to go shopping. Dad returns a couple hours later, and walks in the door with a big bag. Pulls out a pair of brand new Nikes in the box and hands them to his son. "Here ya go son," he said. "You'll get a lot of miles out of these."*

:D

Kev
10-25-12, 06:52 PM
... or, you could tell your young man; "Son, you can have any car you can afford to buy, insure and maintain."

cadillac kevin
10-25-12, 07:53 PM
... or, you could tell your young man; "Son, you can have any car you can afford to buy, insure and maintain."

Thats what I got to do. :)

dkozloski
10-25-12, 11:58 PM
A guy that lives down the street from me drove by the school bus twice in one week while it was stopped with red lights flashing in front of the house to pick up my disabled son. The kids on the bus jumped up and got his license plate number both times. It cost him $2200 in fines, 12 points on his license, and a long suspension.

Mrs.LS6
10-26-12, 12:04 AM
This is sooo sad! Thoughts and prayers go out to the family of that little boy and to the children who witnessed it.

orconn
10-26-12, 12:08 AM
Thats what I got to do. :)

Me too!

CadillacLuke24
10-26-12, 02:53 AM

That is also a great idea. That's what mah old man told ME :D

Rolex
10-26-12, 06:54 AM
RIP little guy. I hope the a$$hat that hit the kid does hard time.

I have pulled my truck in front of people trying to go around a school bus with it's lights flashing. Typically I don't get involved, but when it comes to the safety of children IMO there's almost nothing more important.

talismandave
10-26-12, 09:28 AM
This is sooo sad! Thoughts and prayers go out to the family of that little boy and to the children who witnessed it.

Wow, there is something I hadn't thought of....the rest of the kids on the bus.