: 1999 Catera

werwer2012
10-25-12, 09:13 AM
I just bought a 1999 Catera. I have never owned a Cadillac before and I was wondering if there is anything special about using the heat controls. I have the manual and have read it over and over but still something is not right to me. If I set the drivers side knob to say 75 degrees and the passengers side to the same or higher I get cold air blowing around me. I can feel that it is getting warm but cannot seem to tell where it is coming from. I even tried defrost mode and get just cold air. last night I put the drivers side knob to 90 degrees and left it for about fifteen minutes and went outside to wipe it down and when I went into the car it was like an oven. Is there some sort of time delay with the Cadillac heating system. The other night we were out and needed the defrost but it wouldn't come on so I wiped the window off with a paper towel to get us home and as soon as we started to drive the car the defrost kicked in but it was just cold air. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Greg

97EldETC
10-25-12, 12:36 PM
So from your post, I assume you have never had auto climate controls in a car? Imagine it as just like the heat/air controls for your central heat and ac in your house. You set it for the temperature you want, like 75 degrees, and the car will do its best to keep the cabin at that temperature. It will take about 5-10 minutes depending on how cold or hot the cabin is from the time of day. MAX heat is 90 degrees and MAX cold is 60 or 65 degrees. Same goes for passenger controls.

werwer2012
10-25-12, 02:30 PM
Never had a car like this. What I don't understand is why the defrost doesn't come on right away. I have to actually start moving before it will come on, then it comes on full blast and cold air.

gvjv3
10-25-12, 06:33 PM
sounds like what I have on my 97, the defrost works on your AC system, and if it's not working your defrost will not, and as far as drivers side no heat, that is the actuator on the drivers side a very common problem in Cady's. it will blow cold outside air while heated air will come out of the passenger side, there heating the car but not the driver

werwer2012
10-31-12, 12:09 PM
Well I took my car into get them to check the no heat on the drivers side and found out that it was the computer where the Heat/Ac controls are and also a solenoid that open and closes some kind of door. Glad it was under warranty, cost over $ 1400 to fix.

Greg