: Northstar Engine Mounts

orange57
10-25-12, 01:08 AM
Has anyone replaced their motor mounts themselves? I'm think I may have a bad one, I'm getting some extra vibration through the steering wheel and in the gas pedal. I need to get teh car up to take a look underneath. I just want to see if anyone has done this and how difficult it is. Or a recommendation of where to pick up the parts.

thanks,

matt

curtc
10-25-12, 06:18 PM
Believe it's booked at 3 or 4 hours, just had the FL one replaced for $450.

orange57
10-25-12, 11:32 PM
I don't imagine it being terribly difficult. RWD tends to be easier to replace mounts then FWD.

1BadCadSTS
10-27-12, 08:07 AM
Its not so bad, I bought spare mounts to do mine again if ever needed.

orange57
10-28-12, 02:45 PM
where did you get your mounts from? Dealership? Or online?

Thanks,

matt

1BadCadSTS
10-28-12, 03:07 PM
Uncles a parts manager at Chevy dealer. I can get the left mount for 50 right for like 55. I have a spare of the drivers side on hand. Want it? I can always get another one. Pm me.

Charles Warren
10-29-12, 04:21 PM
I recently replaced my driverside. Which is the hardest, 17 mm and 21 mm is what you'll need. I did it on a lift and dont wanna imagine doing it on the ground. But it called for manifold to be removed i didn't do all of that. Just took it apart (4 bolts on bracket) 1 bolt at a time. Took me 2 hours but book called for much more i think more than what somebody said up above but its over before you know it. And passenger side looks too damn easy, maybe 30 mins if that long

orange57
01-03-13, 12:27 AM
I recently replaced my driverside. Which is the hardest, 17 mm and 21 mm is what you'll need. I did it on a lift and dont wanna imagine doing it on the ground. But it called for manifold to be removed i didn't do all of that. Just took it apart (4 bolts on bracket) 1 bolt at a time. Took me 2 hours but book called for much more i think more than what somebody said up above but its over before you know it. And passenger side looks too damn easy, maybe 30 mins if that long

Charles,

I was looking at this tonight, and it seems removing the bracket from the engine is the way to go. Do you happen to recall the torques for the bolts?

Thanks,

matt

scott9001
01-03-13, 12:49 AM
do you think that the mounts advertised on the top of the websight for the sts-v would work its the same block?

orange57
01-03-13, 12:57 AM
They may be the same block, but the brackets that bolt to the block may be different and it may be a different mount that connects the bracket to the frame. With the higher output and torque from the STS-V the mounts may be beefier. I got mine from GM parts direct. I can get you the part numbers if you want.

neverlateSTS
01-03-13, 10:38 PM
I just had both of mine done on my AWD still under warranty so no hours are listed and they had to evac the ac and such.Had the car for 3 days parts had to be sent in from gm warehouse. A week later out came the transmission for the torque converter replacement... got rid of the infamous "chuggle". My converter would get stuck when i slowed down it was like forgetting to push the clutch in on a stick. Might have caused the premature mount failure.

orange57
01-04-13, 12:46 AM
The AC lines pass right by the drivers side mount, but I think you can get it out of there without evacuating the AC system. It would be tight, but I think doable. I will snap some photos when I get around to doing this.

EChas3
01-04-13, 08:47 PM
I think there are a lot of factors. Factory shop manual procedures are designed to ensure success, the first time, every time, with no return visits. Experienced and talented tech's learn shortcuts. DIY'ers are often willing to take extra time or care to 'simplfy' a procedure.

orange57
01-05-13, 11:54 AM
I think there are a lot of factors. Factory shop manual procedures are designed to ensure success, the first time, every time, with no return visits. Experienced and talented tech's learn shortcuts. DIY'ers are often willing to take extra time or care to 'simplfy' a procedure.

I will agree with that. If i'm not paying $100/hr, I don't mind taking a little more time.

curtc
01-05-13, 12:46 PM
I had my driver side motor mount replaced at a local shop, $60/hour, total was about $450 I think. The mechanic didn't sound too enthusiastic when he told me how much fun it was.

Got an estimate at Key Cadillac (only exclusive Cadillac dealer in MN) for almost $800, I laughed and said no thanks and shopped locally.

orange57
01-05-13, 05:12 PM
I don't mind taking the time to do it myself. At least I know what i break then :) Plus it saves me some money in the end.

Charles Warren
01-08-13, 06:40 AM
Charles,

I was looking at this tonight, and it seems removing the bracket from the engine is the way to go. Do you happen to recall the torques for the bolts?

Thanks,

matt

I think 100 lbs, i just tightened till tight it's not enough space for trq wrench. I used a ratchet wrench on the 4 bolts that hold the bracket on. Now that I've found poly mounts im gonna redo em with polys. The passenger side is too easy lol. My diff bushing is shoot and i just replaced with a modded oem lol, should've went with poly which i am now. All rev shift

----------

I think there are a lot of factors. Factory shop manual procedures are designed to ensure success, the first time, every time, with no return visits. Experienced and talented tech's learn shortcuts. DIY'ers are often willing to take extra time or care to 'simplfy' a procedure. like reading tcto for USAF, yes you should go by the book when you first do things for the first time or learning but some steps can be eliminated. I didn't see the purpose of removing manifold when i can see all 5 bolts and the 6th bolt when the bracket assembly was out. I save so much time and headaches by not removing manifold. Do the same at work tcto says remove blsh blah blah to access prop control blah blah blah but i don't and don't even need help which tcto calls for. And no I don't jeopardize safety by not following tech OP, now quality dudes were looking no i wouldn't do it my way

orange57
01-08-13, 09:23 PM
I renewed my all data subscription. I can verify the torque there.

With the differential bushing, i went with the creative steel one. It is quite beefy.

orange57
01-08-13, 11:31 PM
Engine mount bracket to block calls for a torque of 44 ft-lbs. Mount to the bracket/frame calls for 59 ft-lbs.