: 07 STS wont shift into park...

nixonride
10-24-12, 07:00 PM
I have an 07 STS and when you shift it into park to shut the car off it beeps and you and tells you to put it in park. The shifter is all the way forward and you have to wiggle it back and forth before the car will shut off...it started off random and now does it almost all the time. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a sensor in there that needs to be adjusted? perhaps something stuck up in there not allowiing it to go all the way forward...I can push hard forward and it wont move anymore yet still wont shut off...any ideas before I tear into her?

EChas3
10-24-12, 09:09 PM
Replace the shifter assembly.

Some members have had success refurbing a rubber bushing but that part cannot be sourced from GM.

Carvone
10-25-12, 10:27 AM
My '07 does this also, not often, maybe once a week or so. I just had it in for warranty work and they looked at it, dealer told me the linkage needed to be adjusted and it was not a warrantied item, was going to run about $150 for them to do it. I didn't have them do it as it's no big deal right now for me and I will figure it out on my own when it does get annoying. I figured it would be a switch also but they said linkage??

EChas3
10-25-12, 08:38 PM
That's cheap, if true. Usually, such issues call for shifter replacement.

1BadCadSTS
10-27-12, 08:09 AM
Linkage is cake to adjust, jack it up, unbolt the nut on the detent, adjust and retighten.

Carvone
10-27-12, 10:17 PM
So you can access from underneath the car? I'll have to look into this next time it's up on the stands. Any tips where it is or how to do it?

1BadCadSTS
10-27-12, 11:24 PM
It's pretty obvious. Can't really miss it.

Ludacrisvp
10-28-12, 08:58 AM
So are you one of the people that Slam the shifter into gear and park or the gentle type?
It might be something that relates to this, gently placing shifter into desired position vs placing it with force into desired position
Just thinking out loud here.

1BadCadSTS
10-28-12, 03:12 PM
Mines always getting hit. Never out of auto sick mode haha.

nixonride
11-10-12, 03:40 PM
Wifes car and I only drive it on occasions but she shifts it smooth and never uses the manual shift mode...I too shift in to park slow and smooth....thanks for the advice guys I will try the linkage adjustment...hopefully I dont need a whole new shifter assy.