: 97 Concours won't start now

bvaughn503
10-24-12, 03:35 PM
So my 97 deville finally quit starting... It used to start after seriously 5 min of turning the key (it does kick over) itll finally start up slowly this would happen in the morning first start after that it would start alright I've been replacing sensor after sensor an now it won't start at all

Submariner409
10-24-12, 04:50 PM
Have you looked for any stored DTC's in your car's built-in code reader/scanner to see if there is a possible lead there ? Something is causing extended cranking, and chances are the problem has set one or more trouble codes.

Sensors aren't usually the problem - it's fuel, air, spark operation. New plugs, wires, fuel filter ??? Clean ICM and coils ???

You might also use a fuel pressure test gauge on the fuel rail port to see what Key-ON, cranking, and running fuel pressures are.

stoveguyy
10-28-12, 01:26 PM
Bs. 5 min of cranking? Must be damn good battery.

vincentm
10-28-12, 01:37 PM
Check your battery bolts, these cars do NOT like the slightest stripping or looseness of them..

bvaughn503
10-31-12, 08:04 AM
It is the fuel pump finally went out

stoveguyy
10-31-12, 11:13 AM
Cool. Someone actually came back and updated us on what was wrong.

vincentm
10-31-12, 02:49 PM
Running a car constantly on low fuel and shorten the lifespan of any fuel pump. Personally i dont let my baby get below half a tank

bvaughn503
11-15-12, 07:51 PM
Now I will defenitly be running off the top half. I would like you said run it low all the time than finally it went out I had a mechanic check the fuel pressure like 3 months ago an it was at 30 lbs of pressure than I finally took it in to the shop cause I was sure it was the pump an it was at 10 lbs it would also cause loss of power sometimes so it took awhile for this pump to finally give also it was the original an it had 168zzz miles on it

weister42
11-16-12, 05:09 PM
Doesn't the N* have a feature in which the engine can still start even if the pump is dead?

Submariner409
11-16-12, 07:16 PM
Fuel injection requires quite a bit of pressure to atomize fuel at injector. No pump = no pressure = no start/run.

I think the early Corvette used mechanical fuel injection, but today's gasoline engines are almost exclusively electric pump-fed types.

Most diesel engines (commercial) use a mechanical fuel lift pump which feeds a mechanical high pressure injector pump - if you can roll the engine over to some degree it will run.