: Polishing the XTS

CAPT Mike
10-24-12, 02:44 PM
Yes; I know a ridiculous question. But here goes. It used to be (a long time ago) on GM's that you waited at least 90 days before waxing/polishing the car. Of course, I was given the option of having a sealant on the outside and some other coating on the inside for a couple of hundred $$ that I declined. Does this imply that there is no waiting for "the paint to cure" prior to putting on the first coat of wax?

Cadjiek
10-24-12, 03:32 PM
Capt Mike

There are no ridiculous questions here. Others probably want to know the same thing. From what I have heard and read, by the time you get the car from assembly you should have no problem waxing your new car. The paint process at the factory takes care of that problem. Maybe somebody else that knows more about this could jump in??

wrtxts
10-24-12, 05:27 PM
This may be similar to a question I just asked a clear bra installer... I asked if I needed to wait 30 days for the paint to cure per the 3M site. She said cars from the factory are ready to go because they are 'baked' at the factory at a much higher temperature because it is only the metal, unlike a repair shop that bakes a fully assembled car. BTW, I had the ValuGuard paint protectant applied to both my CTS and XTS at purchase.

thebigjimsho
10-24-12, 07:06 PM
Polish away!

CAPT Mike
10-24-12, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. Detailing my vehicles (bikes, cars or trucks) has always been on the top of my list. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow. BTW, BMW and now Cadillac have been the only dealerships that I've dealt with that have pushed the special paint and interior coatings. I guess they think that if you can afford a high priced vehicle that you don't have the desire to do manual work like polishing?? :)

flying fossil
10-24-12, 11:25 PM
I've used Zaino products on my last 3 cars with extremely fine results. Takes about 3 hours and last about 3 years.
Fantastic product.

CAPT Mike
10-25-12, 12:34 AM
I use a product called Crystal Glo from Canada on my Vette, Harley, and F-150. I think that it is better than Zaino, goes on quicker and last long. I can't say how long cause I usually end up putting on another coat every 3 months or so...just because. It is a wipe on and wipe off; no need to wait for it to haze.