: Exhaust Leak Broken Bolt

krieghoff
10-23-12, 09:42 PM
I have an exhaust leak on the driver's side. When I checked it out I found a broken bolt on the exhaust maniflod.

Has anyone had something like this replaced at their Cadillac dealer?

Just wondering what it is going to cost before I call to get an appointment.

Thanks

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-24-12, 03:59 PM
Krieghoff, I hope the community chimes in with the feedback you're seeking! If you ever would like my assistance calling a dealer on your behalf, etc., send me a direct message anytime.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

wwceaton
10-24-12, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hear you have this problem but it is very common with the GM engines since 1999, I have repaired dozens of these and the drivers side is the worst of the two and the rear stud is the hardest to do because of the fire wall in the way and that seames to be the one that brakes the most. As for price that is hard to say because we will not know how many will brake and how many will come out complete, As a rule it takes 1/2 to one hour labor per broken bolt to drill and tap or even helicoil each one. But please make sure the mechanic doing the job has experiance in this because the water jacket is very close to the studs so you must drill it dead on. Good luck and i hope i answered your question

krieghoff
10-24-12, 08:32 PM
That is the bolt that is broken. I was going to take it to a garage down the street but I figured it would be better going to my Cadillac dealer.

wwceaton
10-24-12, 09:01 PM
Any competent mechanic can do this job and as i already said this is a very common problem and i am sure they have done this repair already. You do not need a new manifold only all new bolts and the gasket, If only the back bolt broke and the rest come out it should take about 3 hours to do the job, but only if no more brake.

krieghoff
10-28-12, 10:14 PM
Ok I guess nobody ever broke a manifold bolt and had it repaired at a Cadillac dealer!!!

Really????

48Dodge
02-14-13, 03:46 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread but I just noticed what sounds like an exhaust leak. At least I hope that's all it is. If not, it's something internal. Anyway, I noticed a broken bolt on each side so hoping that is what it is. I'm guessing this isn't considered "powertrain". Wanting to take care of this before I order my Billy Boat catback system. Anyone have a price range as to what this is going to cost? Vs getting some headers installed as an option, too?

blackex
02-14-13, 03:51 PM
Had a similar issue, a local shop had to drill the bolt out and replace the gasket? I think it was around $80 for just the one side, not done by the dealer.

I should mention they found the exhaust leak doing some engine work for me and fixed the issue. I had absolutely no idea there was a common issue with the bolts breaking on the exhaust. I probably couldn't notice any exhaust leak noises because of my wind noise issue with my doors in another thread lol.

hcvone
02-15-13, 06:42 AM
Depends on which bolt it is and where it broke off, some take a few minutes and other take a few hours

48Dodge
02-15-13, 07:48 AM
Rear driver and front passenger. Only saving grace on the driver is it looks like it might have broken off flush with the manifold

hcvone
02-15-13, 11:24 AM
Rear driver and front passenger. Only saving grace on the driver is it looks like it might have broken off flush with the manifold

The few we have seen have been passenger rear

craka
02-15-13, 11:38 AM
Just had to deal with the same problem. It was my driver's side manifold. I didn't use the dealership.

the blur
02-16-13, 09:16 AM
Happened on my 2003.
break = broken
brake = stopping, as in brake pad.

SpyShops NY
02-17-13, 01:23 AM
300$ drill out and replace

ridesguy
02-17-13, 02:59 PM
Wife leaves to go to church this morning and I look on the ground and I pick up a head of a bolt. She returns, I pop the hood and the drivers side front exhaust bolt has broken the head off. Never touched the exhaust bolts before, 07 ESV, what junk bolts. I think this thread is haunted because I read it the day before. :)

SpyShops NY
02-17-13, 08:49 PM
Just go to your mechanic find the size buy the best bolts u can and have them put it on

Andrew224
12-03-13, 05:37 AM
I just had my 2008 Escalade in at the dealership to fix some minor issues before the CPO warranty ran out.

The tech went over my truck and found several exhaust manifold bolts broken off. Both left and right exhaust manifolds and all the bolts and gaskets were replaced at no charge because it was under warranty. Dealer priced it out at about $1400 per side.

Of course they also price a belt change at $160 for a $30 belt and one of the most accessible and easiest belt changes of any vehicle I've ever owned. Seriously, the belt can be changed in under 60 seconds. They also wanted $700 + to change the spark plugs which are about as accessible and wide open as you can get in a modern vehicle. I guess someone has to pay for those nice customer waiting areas with complimentary refreshments.:)

wesyder
12-03-13, 08:05 AM
Yeah I've dealt with a broken bolt on the driver side exhaust manifold, the last bolt in the back, its not too bad of a deal with the right tools and i used rust penetrant the day before

blackex
02-28-14, 05:08 PM
Reviving an old thread here but I recently started to get annoyed with the loud ticking noise coming from my engine on cold starts. I also have had a check engine light come on and off intermittently on my 2007 escalade. I had the code scanned and found it to be the up stream oxygen sensor on the drivers side. I decided to take it to the local shop in town to see if they could just replace the header bolts and gasket to fix the check engine light and the engine ticking noise (which i figured was due to an exhaust leak from the headers). The shop called me back explaining that the check engine light was due to a bad upper intake gasket and that the ticking noise was because I did have an exhaust leak from both headers however in order to change the bolts out they would have to remove the heads off the engine to get to the bolts? They said to repair both headers and bolts would cost $1300 because of the time needed to remove the heads? I just laughed and said no way would I agree to that. I'm going to another shop to get a different opinion because that doesn't make any sense to me.

the blur
02-28-14, 05:37 PM
Reviving an old thread here but I recently started to get annoyed with the loud ticking noise coming from my engine on cold starts. I also have had a check engine light come on and off intermittently on my 2007 escalade. I had the code scanned and found it to be the up stream oxygen sensor on the drivers side. I decided to take it to the local shop in town to see if they could just replace the header bolts and gasket to fix the check engine light and the engine ticking noise (which i figured was due to an exhaust leak from the headers). The shop called me back explaining that the check engine light was due to a bad upper intake gasket and that the ticking noise was because I did have an exhaust leak from both headers however in order to change the bolts out they would have to remove the heads off the engine to get to the bolts? They said to repair both headers and bolts would cost $1300 because of the time needed to remove the heads? I just laughed and said no way would I agree to that. I'm going to another shop to get a different opinion because that doesn't make any sense to me.

They are not headers. They are exhaust manifolds. And $1300 to remove the upper half of your engine is CHEAP. I would charge you $2000, and include a valve job.

wesyder
02-28-14, 07:32 PM
Ive repaired a few of these that broke on the rear driver side of the engine without removing the head so hopefully they find a way not to, but depends on the break and if the bolt can be extracted

EscaladeDoc
03-02-14, 02:36 PM
We usually weld a nut onto the broken bolt to remove it. That is the easiest way to do it. Most shops will usually charge 2-3 hours for repair plus parts. I have seen other shops drill the bolts at an angle and find the coolant port. Also make sure they check the manifold for warpage. 9 out of 10 manifolds will need to be planed at a machine shop or replaced, otherwise you will be doing it again.

blackex
03-04-14, 11:45 AM
They are not headers. They are exhaust manifolds. And $1300 to remove the upper half of your engine is CHEAP. I would charge you $2000, and include a valve job.

So if I bought some Kook headers and had you install them you would charge me $2000?

----------

Ive repaired a few of these that broke on the rear driver side of the engine without removing the head so hopefully they find a way not to, but depends on the break and if the bolt can be extracted

It's the bolt closest to the firewall on the drivers side.

wesyder
03-04-14, 03:12 PM
So if I bought some Kook headers and had you install them you would charge me $2000? ---------- It's the bolt closest to the firewall on the drivers side. in my experience this is very common, and that particular bolt

EscaladeDoc
03-04-14, 07:23 PM
Here is a new product that alot of guys at work was laughing about, but I guess it would work for a DIY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzM1E9vf5G4

wesyder
03-04-14, 08:21 PM
I guess it would work, definitely not my way of fixing things but as long as the gasket hasn't burned thru from continuos driving it should be ok, for an easy way out of the situation

doc-holiday
04-04-14, 01:20 PM
I have a 2002 escalade with 295666 miles on it. I'm going to put headers on it since I have at least 3 broken bolts. My question is, once I remove the manifold, couldn't I just grab the bolts with vice grips and remove it? The bolts are broke at the head, and I don't have a lot if time to do this, and I
really don't want to remove the heads.

wesyder
04-04-14, 09:49 PM
I have a 2002 escalade with 295666 miles on it. I'm going to put headers on it since I have at least 3 broken bolts. My question is, once I remove the manifold, couldn't I just grab the bolts with vice grips and remove it? The bolts are broke at the head, and I don't have a lot if time to do this, and I really don't want to remove the heads.your not gonna know till you pull the manifold, your probably gonna wanna wait till you have the time to tackle extracting broken bolts