: 2005 sts v6 blower motor clicking.

kchapps
10-23-12, 10:41 PM
I got my motor mounts replaced (may or may not be relevant), few days later I turned on climate control and now there's some sort of fan clicking noise coming from the dash, I tried searching the whole internet and couldn't even figure out the location of the blower to check it out. I was hoping you guys could help me with a few questions:
1 where the hell is this blower motor? I'm thinking behind glove box but not positive, I hate interior trim work.

2 is a clicking noise on the motor supposed to be a clue its about to fail? The air still blows pretty hard.

3. Could the process of changing motor mounts have knocked something out of place?

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-23-12, 11:31 PM
Go through the different modes and see if it ever stops making the noise. I just lubed all of my acuators over the weekend and my "clicks" have silenced...remove the glove box (piece of cake) and you'll find 2 and the blower motor then there's 2 more acuators on the divers side...there might be more but that's all I've found so far

EChas3
10-24-12, 12:12 AM
I think there are two blowers in front. Is it the driver's or passenger's?

kchapps
10-24-12, 12:44 AM
Oh man, thanks for replies.

It seems to be on passenger side. the sound resembles a piece of plastic hitting a blade (maybe?).

So I can pretty much get at the motor through the glove box?

Where are actuators located?

ddalder
10-24-12, 12:54 AM
What year is your STS? I ask because sometimes people post questions in this forum and don't realize it's for 2005+ only.

If it's 2005-11, there is only one blower motor but several actuators to change vent positions. Does the clicking change speed when you adjust your fan speed up and down, or does it remain constant?

If it is the blower motor, you'll need to remove the kick panel to replace it. Of course if I recall correctly, you may need to do this to remove the glove box as well. I'd have to look back at photos to be sure.

kchapps
10-24-12, 01:02 AM
Its a 2005 v6

----------

Sry, the app dosnt let me read and reply. Yeah, the sound changes with fan speed.

ddalder
10-24-12, 01:14 AM
If the clicking noise changes with fan speed, I'd say it's a blower motor or related problem and not an actuator. Although not extremely likely, if your cabin air filter wasn't properly in place, I've heard of instances where leaves can get down into the blower motor shroud. What are the air temperatures where you're at? Many times during winter (as I'm seeing here now), the temperature drops and this type of problem becomes much more common.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-24-12, 01:25 AM
Oh man, thanks for replies.

It seems to be on passenger side. the sound resembles a piece of plastic hitting a blade (maybe?).

So I can pretty much get at the motor through the glove box?

Where are actuators located?

Yes remove the glove box and you'll see the motor in front of you, actuators are behind the the hvac/cd player just look for white plastic "arms", they will move when you choose different hvac modes...my noises were kind of like plastic grinding and not like a fan blade hitting plastic...but either way I would lube your actuators while your at if you're sure it's only the motor

----------

Its a 2005 v6

----------

Sry, the app dosnt let me read and reply. Yeah, the sound changes with fan speed.

Oh and I have the same problem with the iPad app...just click reply, then enter, backspace once, and then you'll see the send button light up....

kchapps
10-24-12, 02:05 AM
Ooh wait. Could the actuators be making that fart sound every now and again? It almost sounds like a low rubbing? It happens at such awkward moments.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-24-12, 09:28 AM
Ooh wait. Could the actuators be making that fart sound every now and again? It almost sounds like a low rubbing? It happens at such awkward moments.

That's exactly what was causing the farting noise on mine. Yeah my guess is its your actuators causing the clicking noise that you hear not the blower motor

ddalder
10-24-12, 11:52 PM
You need to be a little more clear on exactly what the noise is. You've left the impression that it is a clicking type noise that changes speed with the fan, but also that it sounds like a rubbing noise every now and again. It's very difficult to help diagnose problems without clear and accurate information. These two problems are completely different.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-25-12, 12:07 AM
You need to be a little more clear on exactly what the noise is. You've left the impression that it is a clicking type noise that changes speed with the fan, but also that it sounds like a rubbing noise every now and again. It's very difficult to help diagnose problems without clear and accurate information. These two problems are completely different.

I agree, I'm a little confused too but he did say it had the "farts" and with mine it was an actuator that was causing that...I also had numerous click sounds(all acuators)...and a fan "tick" sound will probably have a constant rythm to it that will get faster and slower as fan speed is increased and decreased

kchapps
10-25-12, 02:48 AM
Sorry. To be clear: we're dealing with 2 noises now. The first is the plastic fan noise. It started randomly the other day, I'm going to take apart glove box and investigate tmrw.

The second farting noise has been there ever since iv owned the car but now I have a lead so that will also get some investigative time.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-25-12, 03:42 PM
Sorry. To be clear: we're dealing with 2 noises now. The first is the plastic fan noise. It started randomly the other day, I'm going to take apart glove box and investigate tmrw.

The second farting noise has been there ever since iv owned the car but now I have a lead so that will also get some investigative time.

Cool, good luck...have a friend pushing different modes while you are looking at the acuators then lube them and you'll be fart free ;)

kchapps
10-25-12, 08:43 PM
What's a good lube to use? Can I just use some gear lube or do I need some sort of cadi-fancy lubrication gel?

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-25-12, 10:09 PM
What's a good lube to use? Can I just use some gear lube or do I need some sort of cadi-fancy lubrication gel?

I used white lithium grease