: Dvd player audio issue

the cadillac man
10-23-12, 08:17 PM
Ok I recently had my battery replaced and now the DVD player audio sounds muffled on the right channel
I thought it might have been where I installed a nav unit but everything else works cd changer and my media gateway don't do this
The DVD player worked fine before the battery change so I am stumped
So what I want to know is did the battery swap mess up the DVD player?

mikedyk43
10-23-12, 08:33 PM
Ok I recently had my battery replaced and now the DVD player audio sounds muffled on the right channel
I thought it might have been where I installed a nav unit but everything else works cd changer and my media gateway don't do this
The DVD player worked fine before the battery change so I am stumped
So what I want to know is did the battery swap mess up the DVD player?

I seriously doubt the battery change has anything to do with this. Assuming it worked properly before, you should recheck the wiring behind the radio you just installed. You may have a connector that is not on properly or a wire that got pushed out of the connector.

the cadillac man
10-23-12, 10:14 PM
I seriously doubt the battery change has anything to do with this. Assuming it worked properly before, you should recheck the wiring behind the radio you just installed. You may have a connector that is not on properly or a wire that got pushed out of the connector.

It worked before and after I swapped the radios and everything else works like normal and I know from the wiring diagrams that the DVD player and cd changer is on the same connector to the radio

It seems odd that there is audio from the left side which is clear as a bell but the right side sounds muffled and crackles a bit at higher volumes

I will be going to the dealer tomorrow as I have to have the ac belt and tensioner checked I will mention it to them and see what they say

----------

I tried the rear seat audio controls with it on the DVD player and got the same results with muffled audio on the right channel

the cadillac man
10-25-12, 04:24 PM
Update I pulled the fuses for the radio, the amp and the DVD player still the same(which sucks)

Is there anything I can do about this.

the cadillac man
10-25-12, 08:50 PM
Bump anybody know how I can get it back to working?
I don't want to replace it unless I have to

P.s my uncle suggested removing the battery cables(from the battery) and touching them together to drain all power from the truck will this work?

jnrsesv
10-25-12, 11:43 PM
P.s my uncle suggested removing the battery cables(from the battery) and touching them together to drain all power from the truck will this work?

I know with our Jaguar, that will work to rest the entire computer system. Its called a "hard reset".

the cadillac man
10-26-12, 12:44 AM
I know with our Jaguar, that will work to rest the entire computer system. Its called a "hard reset".

I have heard this works for many issues but I wonder if it will help with my rear seat DVD player audio(I know it isn't the amp because the cd changer shares the same connection and the changer works flawlessly)

mikedyk43
10-26-12, 01:35 AM
The only way you can find out what is causing this issue is to do some troubleshooting. You have to test the audio out (wired) right at the DVD player. If it is bad, the DVD player has bad internal components (replace it). If the audio is good at the DVD player, there is a bad connection somewhere between it and the head unit.

the cadillac man
10-26-12, 01:48 AM
The only way you can find out what is causing this issue is to do some troubleshooting. You have to test the audio out (wired) right at the DVD player. If it is bad, the DVD player has bad internal components (replace it). If the audio is good at the DVD player, there is a bad connection somewhere between it and the head unit.

I was going to remove the player today but didn't have the time (mike I have a video of how it is doing if you want me to email it to you just drop me a email)

the cadillac man
10-26-12, 05:03 PM
Update I had my cousin hear how it is doing first thing he said was a bad cap in the preamp section of the DVD player(so it can be repaired)I knew it was as I had already removed it a looked one had a soft bulgy top(my guess it failed either from age or the voltage spike)

What I want to know is if I unhook it till I can replace the cap or will it hurt it to leave it like this?

the cadillac man
10-27-12, 06:23 PM
Ok I had the cap checked turns out it was still good so today I thought I'd see if other sources did like the DVD player and my media gateway does like the DVD player just not as loud

given how the wiring diagrams show how the system is setup is it possible that there is a ground loop in the system?

I will be pulling the radio back out to try my old one and see if it does it or not

Ps I thought the cap looked bad but it was late and I guess I made the mistake of thinking it was bad turns out it wasn't

mikedyk43
10-27-12, 11:25 PM
Ok I had the cap checked turns out it was still good so today I thought I'd see if other sources did like the DVD player and my media gateway does like the DVD player just not as loud

given how the wiring diagrams show how the system is setup is it possible that there is a ground loop in the system?

I will be pulling the radio back out to try my old one and see if it does it or not

Ps I thought the cap looked bad but it was late and I guess I made the mistake of thinking it was bad turns out it wasn't

You are going about your troubleshooting all wrong. The chances of visually finding a bad electronic component are very slim, especially when it is not your area of expertise. You need to isolate the problem one device at a time first. Given that you only have this problem with the DVD player and no other input sources (AM, FM, CD, etc...), the DVD player itself is still the most likely culprit. The very first test you should have done is what I've already suggested, dismount the DVD player from the vehicle and tap the audio out wires directly from the player. Once you can confirm that the audio from the player is either good or bad, then you can proceed. Anything else is just a shot in the dark.

the cadillac man
10-28-12, 12:05 AM
You are going about your troubleshooting all wrong. The chances of visually finding a bad electronic component are very slim, especially when it is not your area of expertise. You need to isolate the problem one device at a time first. Given that you only have this problem with the DVD player and no other input sources (AM, FM, CD, etc...), the DVD player itself is still the most likely culprit. The very first test you should have done is what I've already suggested, dismount the DVD player from the vehicle and tap the audio out wires directly from the player. Once you can confirm that the audio from the player is either good or bad, then you can proceed. Anything else is just a shot in the dark.

It is doing the noise on other sources just not as bad I didn't notice it till today so tomorrow I am going to check the connections(I looked at the service manuals you emailed me)

I think the audio guy was giving me a load of bs (plus he didn't let me see myself)as it says to check the connection in the service manual so I will check the connections at the radio(given you can hear a noise that sounds like a jet engine(kinda faint but its there)when I have it on the Bluetooth and no music playing
(But not the CD player in the radio and the tuner)

I will keep you posted when I find out what it is.

Ps I didn't get to check the connections before I put the radio in the dash and put it back together as it was close to the scheduled time that I had at the dealer to remove the theiflock

the cadillac man
10-28-12, 01:41 PM
Update I pulled the DVD player and unhooked the harness no more noise in the system everything works like it should so what should I do?

The guy at auto zone caused this whole problem should I see if the store manager will help with the repairs or should I just look around at junkyards for one?

the cadillac man
10-28-12, 09:31 PM
Update I pulled the DVD player and unhooked the harness no more noise in the system everything works like it should so what should I do?

The guy at auto zone caused this whole problem should I see if the store manager will help with the repairs or should I just look around at junkyards for one?

Bump anyone what should I do?

Mark Edward Morrison
10-28-12, 09:57 PM
Cadillac Man, you know what I am about to tell you, they are going to say "We are not liable" or "How do we know your DVD wasn't broke when you brought it in to us". I am not trying to be negative but I can just see this play out. I wish you the best of luck Cadillac Man and I hope you get them to take care of it for you!

the cadillac man
10-28-12, 10:18 PM
Cadillac Man, you know what I am about to tell you, they are going to say "We are not liable" or "How do we know your DVD wasn't broke when you brought it in to us". I am not trying to be negative but I can just see this play out. I wish you the best of luck Cadillac Man and I hope you get them to take care of it for you!

I have a feeling you may be right but let me put it this way had the guy put the cables on the wrong terminals and messed up more then that possibly leaving me stranded?

I will see how it goes(I hate when someone breaks something of someone else's)

jnrsesv
10-29-12, 06:56 AM
cadillac man, check this link out below, It was a story here last week. I don't know if it will help.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/action-9-woman-said-auto-store-put-her-car-battery/nSk44/

the cadillac man
10-29-12, 03:46 PM
cadillac man, check this link out below, It was a story here last week. I don't know if it will help.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/action-9-woman-said-auto-store-put-her-car-battery/nSk44/ so glad mine wasn't that bad but it could have been i talked to the service manager at my dealer and he told me it's a wonder it didn't fry the pcm or bcm heck it could have fired a lot of stuff in the truck but it didn't luckily although it made me worry about my radio as i had recently put it in,

i talked to the manager of the store and they got my contact info and i am going to be contacted about it but if i don't hear from them soon i will be calling the headquarters(i have the number) if that don't work then i will get the media involved

what got me was the guy didn't even ask me if i wanted to install the battery myself.

p.s. i have got parts from advance auto before(but not batteries) i have also got parts from oriellys before (but not batteries)and auto zone which is the one that has started this whole thing(the guy almost did the same thing as the one in the news clip)
i will keep you posted as to the outcome hopefully they pay for a new entertainment system

the cadillac man
10-31-12, 10:08 PM
Update the district manager will be at the store and I will find out what happens then hopefully they will fix it since I didn't agree for them to install the battery.

the cadillac man
11-02-12, 04:58 PM
Update the DVD player has a lost communication code which is odd

the cadillac man
11-07-12, 09:11 PM
Update well the store manager lied to me so I called the headquarters and will be getting a call from the district manager
(The store manager said the opposite of my dealer which wasn't true) I talked to the service manager and he said a guy had called(the store manager is a woman)

I will update when I get the call from the district manager

the cadillac man
12-15-12, 01:26 PM
Update well the store manager lied to me so I called the headquarters and will be getting a call from the district manager
(The store manager said the opposite of my dealer which wasn't true) I talked to the service manager and he said a guy had called(the store manager is a woman)

I will update when I get the call from the district manager

Update they got a replacement DVD player drive for me and it works

mikedyk43
12-16-12, 12:32 AM
So the auto parts store paid for your replacement?

the cadillac man
12-16-12, 12:49 AM
So the auto parts store paid for your replacement?

Yep and I got to keep the old one for parts(there ain't many parts that could be reused)

It took almost two months and me talking to two district managers(with heated conversions with both) I even told him that I would make them lose customers (I was pissed)

I still don't think I will go back to auto zone again given how I was treated by them(they love to side with each other which is the worst business practice ever because you don't call someone that buys from your store a lier(which they did try that trick)

mikedyk43
12-16-12, 02:08 AM
Yep and I got to keep the old one for parts(there ain't many parts that could be reused)

It took almost two months and me talking to two district managers(with heated conversions with both) I even told him that I would make them lose customers (I was pissed)

I still don't think I will go back to auto zone again given how I was treated by them(they love to side with each other which is the worst business practice ever because you don't call someone that buys from your store a lier(which they did try that trick)

Right on, glad to hear you got it handled! I don't shop at Auto zone any longer, but mostly because I find their staff to be incompetent and the experience and part quality at O'Reillys is just far superior. Even though I have to drive a few more miles, it is always worth it.

the cadillac man
12-16-12, 03:25 AM
Right on, glad to hear you got it handled! I don't shop at Auto zone any longer, but mostly because I find their staff to be incompetent and the experience and part quality at O'Reillys is just far superior. Even though I have to drive a few more miles, it is always worth it.

I couldn't agree more I have been to both O'Reilly's and advance auto both don't act like idiots(even the store manager acted like a smarta$$ at auto zone and flat out called the local dealer that I go to a lier to my face which they are from liars as have felt with them many times and they have never done me wrong)

The day after it had happened I went to the dealer and told the service manager about what happened he told my to call the head quarters(which I did and I am glad I did)

Now every time I go by auto zone my uncles words will go through my head "stay away they ain't no good" he even told the same thing that you did about the employes(which is very true) I wish I had heeded his advice sooner(he worked at gm) because this happened I don't even think the lifetime coverage on the throttle body I got will make me go back( even if it a free replacement)

I am also restoring my car so they will lose that business also

Fool me once shame on me fool me twice shame on you(or shall I say auto zone)

MrHolland
12-17-12, 10:59 PM
Congrats!!! Glad to hear it worked out, sometimes it does..

the cadillac man
12-17-12, 11:14 PM
Congrats!!! Glad to hear it worked out, sometimes it does..

I took a gamble on it I was expecting them to say take a hike but they came through for me and replaced the DVD drive in the rear entertainment system but I learned from this and I might not go back to auto zone given how I was treated by them
But I am glad they did it when they did as I drive my younger cousins to and from the family parties(one is coming up)

Thanks for the support for this guys i am grateful as I always help anyone on here when they need it