Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Safe to drive in light snow and ice?

4K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  Xaqtly 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm scheduled to drive my used wagon back around november 11 from Oklahoma city to Los Angeles. I'll be passing through Amarillo, Alberquerque, and flagstaff.
Do you guys think snow could become an issue this time of year as i'm not very familiar with that route. I know the PS2s are very much summer tires and might not fare so well if it does snow.

The other option would be to ship it back costing me about 800-900 dollars. What do you guys think?

#4 ·
If the weather is not going to be inclement, you can do it, acknowledgeing that if it's cold (and it will be in at least Flagstaff) braking distances are longer with cold PS2s. I've done it in a pinch.

If even light snow and ice are predicted for your travel dates, don't do it, the PS2s will not work, and you should ship. Even I won't try it, and I know how to drive in snow.

Hopefully, someone who knows your travel route well will comment further.

#5 ·
Cold weather is OK. But isn't Flagstaff at 7,500 ft? If it snows, YOU WILL DIE. If there is ice, YOU WILL DIE.

It's not like 'well, I'll just slow down...' No. You have no grip in adverse weather. It's either stop or die.

Go further south, to San Antonio, and take I-10 to Tuscon, I-8 to the coast, and drive up to LA. That's much prettier AND much safer.

#8 ·
If it snows, YOU WILL DIE. If there is ice, YOU WILL DIE.
ROFLMAO.....thank you, I needed a laugh at the end of a long day. However, this is very true.

#7 ·
Hm, I see

I was reconsidering maybe Albuquerque -> (South Via 25 to the 10) Phoenix or Tuscon -> LA
San Antonia seems a bit out of the way. what do you guys think?

Honestly I've never been to any of these states :)
but I do have to make it back over the span of 3 days at least.

#9 ·
smackdownCTSV said:
I wouldn't even drive with them in under 40 degree temps. They are horrible! But to be expected from a summer tire. Shipping shouldn't be that expensive, but if it is, you might as well invest that money in some snow tires, or at the least, a/s.
Are they just bad to drive on or do the tires actually get damaged in the process?

#10 ·
I agree. I have driven mine with no snow but about 40 degrees and it was like ice skating if I even tried to give it any throttle. I would highly advise against driving it when the road temps are below 50 degrees unless you have All Season or snow tires on it.

#12 ·
Cool. Glad I asked here first. Detouring would take longer and less time to sight see. Plus my Fiance really wanted to see the grand canyon. I guess I'll suck up the 800-900 dollars and have it shipped. Would you guys recommend covered shipping or just open shipping is fine? Any recommendations for transport? My current pick is safe-car direct.

#17 ·
In November weather along that route is a crap shoot; could be 70°, could be 10° and blinding snow. Drove from ABQ to Vegas for new year's eve a couple years ago in the wife's Camaro; weather was supposed to be clear and decent. Of course it went to shit and we hit snow in Flagstaff and it was pretty dicey for awhile!

No way to predict what will be rolling through more than a couple days out. Best bet it to ship it or have them put good tired on it and enjoy the drive.

#18 ·
Lets not overstate things here.

You CAN NOT drive in any snow with PS2s.

However, you can drive the PS2s well below freezing temps. Does anyone here actually drive their Vs in the rain? OMG, you have?????

What do you do in the rain? You take it easy. Simple. The PS2s will drop off in grip under 50 degrees. But the first two winters I drove my V were on PS2s. Last winter it was on my Hankook evo V12s, which are summer tires.

THERE IS MORE GRIP ON SUMMER TIRES IN THE COLD THAN IN RAIN!

I picked up my V in San Antonio and drove back to Boston over Thanksgiving Day weekend in '09. The weather was very nice for me.

If it snows, park it. If not, go for it...

#19 ·
Great information. This forum should be required reading for new V owners. The dealer never told me that the car, as delivered, was limited to seasonal operation. I'll park the car for the four months of winter we have in southern NJ,if necessary, rather than deal with tire changes and more aging TPMs and resetting issues. Fortunately I kept my old car for a spare as it had little trade in value. I'm a sensible driver and have not had any issues driving in the rain. With careful driving can I assume I'm safe at least down to 40 degrees on dry roads? Has anyone experienced tire cracking and at what temperature? I may never get to try the heated seats.

#20 ·
thebigjimsho said:
Lets not overstate things here.

You CAN NOT drive in any snow with PS2s.

However, you can drive the PS2s well below freezing temps. Does anyone here actually drive their Vs in the rain? OMG, you have?????

What do you do in the rain? You take it easy. Simple. The PS2s will drop off in grip under 50 degrees. But the first two winters I drove my V were on PS2s. Last winter it was on my Hankook evo V12s, which are summer tires.

THERE IS MORE GRIP ON SUMMER TIRES IN THE COLD THAN IN RAIN!

I picked up my V in San Antonio and drove back to Boston over Thanksgiving Day weekend in '09. The weather was very nice for me.

If it snows, park it. If not, go for it...
I've been driving only on summer tires for the past 6 years. My first winter with my Lexus I took it out in the snow. WHAT A DISASTER. It was like driving on the metal rims. Never ever did that again. I do drive in freezing temps but take it easy as if it was raining and I have never had a problem. When it snows, I just don't use the car. Period.

#28 ·
While I do agree with you in principle, I think people in general are so accustomed to FWD and the more recent AWD drivetrains that they forget the days not that long ago, when everybody drove RWD cars without technological tricks like Stabilitrak in the snow......and somehow survived. ;)

I am lucky to live in civilization and to have winter tires, so I have gotten away with daily driving a V for over 3 1/2 years. Stabilitrak does an amazing job as well during the winter. If I lived outside of civilization, I'd have a 4WD/AWD car/truck for the snowy season. Luckily, one thing we Clevelanders are really good at (other than rooting sucky sports teams :) , go 2-6 Browns!), is snow removal after a storm. It is a work of art to see the snow plows in synchronized action around here.

#26 ·
The PS2s are really crap in snow and cold temperatures, but not totally undriveable if you know what you're doing. Depends on your experience in snow and ice driving. Helps to have a stick, too, to keep the revs down and out of the power band. Experience also helps you to know when not to drive, when it's just too much for you or your vehicle. I learned to drive in Syracuse in the winter in a 1968 Pontiac Catalina 400 with bias ply snows on the rear only, as was typical back then. In my experience, my V has not been much worse than that. Fortunately, I don't have to endure those conditions much in Atlanta. If one's experience is much less than that in snow driving, I wouldn't chance it. The worst thing I have to endure in the snow in Atlanta is the antics of the other inexperienced drivers, and I usually try to avoid driving to keep them from hitting me. Ice and snow driving, like driving in the rain, is a whole other skill set.

#30 ·
thebigjimsho said:
The only thing FWD has is weight over the drive wheels to get moving. In every other situation, RWD is much better. You start spinning with FWD and you're done. Good night. With RWD, you always have a chance to correct...
I drove my Vcoupe from Chicago to FL last Jan. and will do it again this coming Jan. if roads are too bad I'll stop for a bite to eat. Caution is the word.

#32 ·
Got caught in some snow in Chicago last winter with ps2. Not as unbelievably bad as most here would have you believe. I don't advise driving them in the snow but it is doable.

I have driven ps2 and re11 in cold weather in really don't see what the fuss is about. Sure it worse than warm weather but it is exactly what I expect. You can steer a lot more with the throttle but I get the impression not many here do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.