: recommendation for brake bleeder kit

Trionalaw
10-23-12, 11:26 AM
I just learned that there is another driving school this year at mid-Ohio. It is November 3, 4 and 5. Friday, the 3rd, is for instructors and advanced drivers which of course will not include me.

As I have alerted the forum in the past, my 11-year-old daughter and I installed an air raid intake system to my 2012 CTS- V coupe, which she is now taking full credit for. I need to change my brake fluid to .4 just in case. I have had no problems with my brakes at the past three driving schools I have attended but one never knows!

I need a recommendation for a good brake bleeder kit that Lily and I can use to change the brake fluid kit.The Mityvac systems have been getting horrible reviews. I know one can get a $10 kit at local automotive stores which use pumping the brake pedal for the pressure. I have read on the forum that is not a very good way to do it.

Any recommendations? I would like something reasonably priced.

This Craftsman looks pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwQ9kwMdVk

As always, much appreciated for your help.

Jim

Houdini
10-23-12, 01:37 PM
I had awesome luck with the motive power bleeder system. It worked great on my V1 and I'm sure it would work the same on my V2 but I haven't tried it. On the V1 I had adapter caps for the brake reservoir and the clutch reservoir. Very easy to use and makes it a one man job.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/244990-i-need-some-advice-brake-fluid.html

Trionalaw
10-23-12, 03:17 PM
Thank you, Harry!

Unfortunately I do not have an air compressor.

69mets
10-23-12, 03:41 PM
No need for an air compressor, it pumps up by hand. I too have the motive power bleeder and it works great. Very easy to use.

Houdini
10-23-12, 03:46 PM
Yep...hand pump for the win.... not that I do a lot of hand pumping.

JFJr
10-23-12, 08:32 PM
Yep...hand pump for the win.... not that I do a lot of hand pumping.

Too much hand pumping can be bad! Sometimes pressure can be controlled in other ways. :lildevil:

Jud

pajeff10
10-23-12, 08:59 PM
I use my MityVac all the time to bleed brakes and to flush out the old brake fluid on our cars. Never had an issue with it. Just have to be sure that you do not suck the reservoir dry during the process. Start at the right rear caliper and then work your way closer to the master cylinder.

M5eater
10-23-12, 09:36 PM
motive , motive, motive.

There is no substitute, there is no superior. It's reasonably priced, and it will last--- mine needed new tubing after 4-5 years, but it still works 100%.

cruiser68
10-23-12, 10:34 PM
motive , motive, motive.

There is no substitute, there is no superior. It's reasonably priced, and it will last--- mine needed new tubing after 4-5 years, but it still works 100%.

+1, had one going on 10 years.

thebigjimsho
10-24-12, 12:12 PM
The one I bought from Griots is awesome. Yes, you need an air compressor, but it is incredibly easy and fast. I've done it multiple times on my V right before track days...

pmsteinm
10-24-12, 01:15 PM
+1 for the Motive bleeder. Use the car specific adapters, not the generic one. I have the GM one and the BMW one. I've flushed the V, BMW and even my 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora with it. The only thing it won't do is flush the V's clutch. The clutch appears to not be setup to allow for flushing without taking things apart? Even though the service manual say to do flush the clutch it doesn't actually list a procedure. Flushing the BMW clutch is easy because it has a bleed screw and shares the brake fluid reservoir (that's about the only thing that is easier on the BMW than the V).

M5eater
10-24-12, 01:33 PM
+1 for the Motive bleeder. Use the car specific adapters, not the generic one. I have the GM one and the BMW one. I've flushed the V, BMW and even my 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora with it. The only thing it won't do is flush the V's clutch. The clutch appears to not be setup to allow for flushing without taking things apart? Even though the service manual say to do flush the clutch it doesn't actually list a procedure. Flushing the BMW clutch is easy because it has a bleed screw and shares the brake fluid reservoir (that's about the only thing that is easier on the BMW than the V).

lol wut?

there's no bleeder screw to flush clutch fluid in the V?