: Possible causes of misfire?

IvoryWhiteCatera
10-22-12, 11:43 PM
I've had this constant misfire on cylinder 6 on my '98 Catera and the harshness and vibration is irritating. I checked the spark plugs, they are all fine (and new). They're gapped correctly.

Could it be the wires? or coil?

I heard that the misfire would be on random cylinders if it were a coil problem.

JohnJJO
10-23-12, 11:09 AM
go to autozone get u rental tool (compression test gauge) test that cylinder for compression (best to test whole side 2,4,6 cylinders) different not supposed to pass 15% between them. If pressure ok, get u new coil. i had the same thing on mine, even avter i got new coil it last for a year then whole side was misfire , i replaced by warranty and since that time - no problems
PS. I'm not recommend AutoZone coil brand, get u AcDelco brand , u can order one on rockauto or ebay with warrenty, way cheaper!

IvoryWhiteCatera
10-29-12, 03:30 PM
go to autozone get u rental tool (compression test gauge) test that cylinder for compression (best to test whole side 2,4,6 cylinders) different not supposed to pass 15% between them. If pressure ok, get u new coil. i had the same thing on mine, even avter i got new coil it last for a year then whole side was misfire , i replaced by warranty and since that time - no problems
PS. I'm not recommend AutoZone coil brand, get u AcDelco brand , u can order one on rockauto or ebay with warrenty, way cheaper!

Thanks.