: getting the V painted

silverstreaker
10-22-12, 11:33 PM
finally just decided to pull the trigger an get the V painted satin black. I hit a deer last friday and the front had to be repainted anyway so going from Silver to a Matte/Satin black. I know its not liked by all but its being done by an auto restoration shop and these guys are going to have weeks worth of work to make this perfect and I can't wait to see it. :)

ClarkkentCTSV
10-23-12, 12:06 AM
Have you seen the new frost silver from Cadillac? I saw it at the V lab I attended and it is an amazing color. I just feel like the satin black has been done a lot, but to each his own. Look up the new frost silver and tell me what you think. It really needs to be seen in person to be truly appreciated.

silverstreaker
10-23-12, 01:09 AM
I havent found a V that has actually been painted black yet, they all seem to wraps?

CTSV_Jim
10-23-12, 12:25 PM
Soooooo, are you changing your name to SatinStreaker, or MatteStreaker, or NightStreaker? In all seriousness, I love the satin look. True, it has been done many times (regardless of wrap or paint), but I like the look. Can't wait for pictures.

Stillborn
10-23-12, 04:17 PM
hardest color to upkeep. i hope you're aware of the added maintenance involved. atleast you can make your new name "swirlmarks" lol =p

silverstreaker
10-24-12, 12:21 AM
found out why wraps are the way to go. if someone touches the paint wrong, it starts to shine. I'm going to get the car painted gloss black and then wrapping it matte black. should get give me the look I want. and I'll change my name to dark streaker?

considering we're pulling the car apart to change colors, is there any advice that people have? Things that you may have learned when doing similar projects? I'm going to eliminate the rear badge seeing its getting painted anyway as well as the rest of the badges, excepting the grille logo. Should I do the intake vents near the fog lights and the splitter as well?

Stillborn
10-25-12, 05:10 PM
for all you're paying for this cosmetic crud/paint you could be in a much better position for more power, handling and enjoyment. i can only imagine what all this labor will cost. just stay with silver, get your car back and call it a day. who talked you into this nightmare? black is horrendous (it's a first timer color) and upkeep is a nightmare. if you wanted a change, go white and smile at the fact swirl-marks are non existent in white paint. imho, you're embarking on a regrettable adventure with no chance for redemption in the long term.

larry arizona
10-25-12, 06:53 PM
Come on Stilly, Black is a labor of love........

silverstreaker
10-25-12, 07:25 PM
I've had 5 black cars and with proper care, there are no swirl marks in black either. wheels, tires and Mods are in the pipeline as well :)

Mike02z
10-25-12, 07:58 PM
No swirls here. And I don't wash it all that often...It's all in how you wash and dry it. I do agree that keeping clean is a challenge but there is nothing like a clean black car in my opinion.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/2011%20CTS-V/9082012/4Large.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/2011%20CTS-V/9082012/2-Large.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/2011%20CTS-V/9082012/CTS-V-9-mod090812.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/2011%20CTS-V/9082012/CTS-V-3-mod090812.jpg

Sorry. I admit, I'm a picture whore :D

Stillborn
10-25-12, 08:58 PM
lol no swirl marks at 10 ft and 15 mph. go in direct sunlight and you'll get nauseated (i know i will). I've had 4 black vehicles, (2 87 buick g/n's, a 87 ford 5.0, & a 2000 ford expedition) and never again will i go down that road. never SAY NEVER...I'M SAYING NEVER.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/zx9mic/WP_000500.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/zx9mic/WP_000495.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/zx9mic/WP_000429.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/zx9mic/WP_000439sm.jpg
whore that Mr. indirect sunlight pics. =]~ lol

hey if you guys have the desire to keep and own a black vehicle, go nuts...if we were all the same the world would suck the big one. i guess we all have different tolerances for lifes challenges. i like to learn my lesson and move on. life's to short to punish ones self. knyuck knyuck.

MSOsr
10-25-12, 10:03 PM
There are products out there now that allow you to have a shiny black car that won't swirl every time you touch it. Opti-Guard or Opti-Coat application after getting your car polished swirl-free will protect the finish like you wouldn't believe. It's like your car has another clear coat added that is harder than the original. Use good technique washing the car after that and you'll never have to polish again.

Mike (had his coupe done professionally and only washes his car now...no buffers or polish or wax)

Mike02z
10-25-12, 10:24 PM
Nice car Stillborn. You're right, everyone's taste is different. I could NEVER own a white car, but that's me.

Yes, it takes much more time to care for a black car but it is possible to keep swirls out and remove any you get easily when you know how. As far as my paint, I have a rather extensive and exhaustive prep when I first buy a car. I have been detailing cars for 25 years and I like to think I know how it's done. I'll typically wet sand followed by multiple step machine polishes followed by many coats of polymer based sealers. When the hurricane passes by, and we get some sun, I'll try and snap some pictures from 1' away in direct sun. There are absolutely NO swirls in my paint, anywhere. As far as keeping it from swirling, when I wash I use a foamer and a sheep's skin mitt and blow dry the car. The only towels that ever touch my car are very fine microfiber and only when using a detail spray or removing additional sealer.

More work? Absolutely but for me, it's worth it. Something about a clean, slippery wet looking black car that just feels classy to me. I know it's not everyone's taste. That's cool.

Trapspeed
10-26-12, 11:02 AM
If you really want to stay away from the Pepto Bismol avoid parking lot lights. They'll bring even the best detailer to their knees.

Mike02z
10-26-12, 11:01 PM
You can only do so much unless you use your V as a museum piece and don't drive it. While free from swirls, I have stone chips on the hood and front bumper. I touched them up but you still see them when standing close enough. I do almost all highway driving. I figure in 2-3 years I'll have the front end repainted. Not like Black Raven will be very hard to match :) I'm having fun with mine even though it's black. If it gets nicked and dinged up, I'll deal with it.

Stillborn
10-27-12, 02:51 AM
the V's primer is white, so when "I" get a chip or two it's not noticeable unless you're looking hard for them. =p
white is superior in all aspects of clean-cardom. it's a scientific indisputable irrefutable fact.

silverstreaker
10-27-12, 04:23 AM
I do like white cars but I'm thinking when I'm 60 and living in Boca ;)

Mike02z
10-27-12, 08:23 AM
I have a friend who has a 09 V that is white. I dunno, just seems like the color a pimp would drive to me. I'll take the chips and difficulty keeping it clean over being "G-Diddy-Sizzle" :D

larry arizona
10-27-12, 09:45 AM
do you get the dreaded rust specs on the white?

Stillborn
10-27-12, 02:26 PM
lol this isn't the 70's. I've never even owned a car that rusted or showed any signs of rust. my last 5 cars were either white or lt-silver. and the pimp factor is the main reason why one rocks a cocaine white sedan. if you're in "the know" then you'll understand. pimp daddy in the caddy is exactly what i'm going for. crisp, clean, and loads of caffeine. ;) just so you know not all whites are created equal, gm's diamond white, benz's white and lexus's white are in a league all by themselves. set them next to a ford white and you'll understand what i mean.

larry arizona
10-27-12, 03:40 PM
Not rust through, I am talking about the little rust specs that you can see on all white cars. Its brake dust that clings to the paint and rusts on top of the paint. Personally I have owned one white car and never again. Just not my style. I do like the diamond white but I prefer black because if you know how to take care of black NOTHING looks better than a well taken care of black vehicle. Its universally the best looking surface.

When I used to autbody and paint, white was the best color to hide questionable bodywork because it does hide all flaws well. But I always told my clients that only good bodymen have the nuts to do repairs on black cars. Black shows every flaw, so when you see a perfect black car its that much more impressive.

Stillborn
10-28-12, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=larry arizona;3126802]Not rust through, I am talking about the little rust specs that you can see on all white cars. Its brake dust that clings to the paint and rusts on top of the paint.

I've never encountered that, must be because i wash my cars 2x a week. my wife's (white) car is alittle less "babied" and I've never seen that on her car either. must be from cheap metalic break pads. i'll be looking at white cars now trying to identify this claim. i'll keep you posted.

jzchen
11-04-12, 02:23 PM
I like white, but for a more practical reason. Global warming is not going away, and it is darn hot in any other color, or at least it is here......