: correct tire pressure?

icaddy
10-22-12, 08:41 PM
I am wondering what the best tire pressure should be on my tires? My tires are Bridgestone LT265/70R17, and I put 40 PSI pressure on them, but still they look a little bit flat. The maximum pressure on the tires are 80 psi, so I think I can put higher pressue like 45 or 50 PSI?

mikedyk43
10-22-12, 09:50 PM
I am wondering what the best tire pressure should be on my tires? My tires are Bridgestone LT265/70R17, and I put 40 PSI pressure on them, but still they look a little bit flat. The maximum pressure on the tires are 80 psi, so I think I can put higher pressue like 45 or 50 PSI?

Your user manual should give you the recommended tire pressures, but a general rule of thumb is to inflate them so that they are just a little under max pressure when HOT. For example, I have stock 20's on mine and the max pressure is 44psi. I inflate mine to 37-38 so after driving and the tires heat up, the pressure increases to about 40psi. The obvious thing you want to avoid is over pressuring them which runs the risk of exploding while driving.

the cadillac man
10-22-12, 09:51 PM
Your user manual should give you the recommended tire pressures, but a general rule of thumb is to inflate them so that they are just a little under max pressure when HOT. For example, I have stock 20's on mine and the max pressure is 44psi. I inflate mine to 37-38 so after driving and the tires heat up, the pressure increases to about 40psi. The obvious thing you want to avoid is over pressuring them which runs the risk of exploding while driving.

I agree 100%

jnrsesv
10-23-12, 06:26 AM
I agree with the above replies.

ARE YOU SURE MAX is 80 PSI????????? That seems WAY high.

wesyder
10-23-12, 07:25 AM
I agree with the above replies.

ARE YOU SURE MAX is 80 PSI????????? That seems WAY high.

The recommended tire pressure is on the door jam vin tag also

icaddy
10-23-12, 10:44 AM
On the side of driver's door, it says 30 psi. According to Owner's Manual, this is minimum inflation pressure:

"A Tire and Loading Information label is attached to the vehicle’s center pillar (B-pillar), below the driver’s door lock post (striker). This label lists your vehicle’s original equipment tires and their recommended cold tire inflation pressures. The recommended cold tire
inflation pressure, shown on the label, is the minimum amount of air pressure needed to support your vehicle’s maximum load carrying capacity."

I am pretty sure the maximum pressure on those tires are 80 psi, but I will double check at lunch time.

rfishoutofwater
10-23-12, 11:47 AM
If your max tire pressure is 80 psi then you have a 10 ply tire on your rig. My f350 DRW run 10 ply and they max out at 80psi. I never run it at max as the ride is horrible. Even on my heavy rig. I usually run 60. On our escalade esv we run 35. That's where you should be.

icaddy
10-23-12, 01:16 PM
If your max tire pressure is 80 psi then you have a 10 ply tire on your rig. My f350 DRW run 10 ply and they max out at 80psi. I never run it at max as the ride is horrible. Even on my heavy rig. I usually run 60. On our escalade esv we run 35. That's where you should be.

I think you are correct. Those are 10 ply tires although I never heard this term before ... lol. On your ESV do you use the same tires or different?

rfishoutofwater
10-23-12, 03:29 PM
I think you are correct. Those are 10 ply tires although I never heard this term before ... lol. On your ESV do you use the same tires or different?

I am running 10ply Hankook Dyna Pro ATM's on my ford and love them. Got 80k miles on my last set. 10 ply tires have a stiffer side wall. My escalade we bought used back in July and it had a new set of Les Schwabs wildcat AT tires on it. They are not a 10ply. Mine are 20" wheels and tires too as mine is a platinum edition. The ride is pretty good. I'll be purchasing another set this summer so I can run the AT' during winter months and nicer summer tires during the off season.

icaddy
10-23-12, 05:26 PM
I am running 10ply Hankook Dyna Pro ATM's on my ford and love them. Got 80k miles on my last set. 10 ply tires have a stiffer side wall. My escalade we bought used back in July and it had a new set of Les Schwabs wildcat AT tires on it. They are not a 10ply. Mine are 20" wheels and tires too as mine is a platinum edition. The ride is pretty good. I'll be purchasing another set this summer so I can run the AT' during winter months and nicer summer tires during the off season.

When I got the truck from the dealer the tread on tires were almost gone so I got this set of used tires from craigslist with 100 bucks. They look good, with 50% life left. I am a cheap guy. haha.

the cadillac man
10-23-12, 07:12 PM
When I got the truck from the dealer the tread on tires were almost gone so I got this set of used tires from craigslist with 100 bucks. They look good, with 50% life left. I am a cheap guy. haha.

Lucky dog

rfishoutofwater
10-23-12, 07:25 PM

I won't buy a used vehicle if it needs tires. I'll make them replace with new or give me a discount for the cost of new tires. Lol. I lucked out with our purchase of the esv. It had new tires on all four. New brake pads, calipers and rotors on all 4 too. Not done by dealer either. All done by PO and with in 1k miles of trading in. Lol. All done at Les Schwabs with the receipts in the glove box. So I even have the warranty.

icaddy
10-24-12, 07:43 AM
I won't buy a used vehicle if it needs tires. I'll make them replace with new or give me a discount for the cost of new tires. Lol. I lucked out with our purchase of the esv. It had new tires on all four. New brake pads, calipers and rotors on all 4 too. Not done by dealer either. All done by PO and with in 1k miles of trading in. Lol. All done at Les Schwabs with the receipts in the glove box. So I even have the warranty.

I know it would be good to have new tires installed, but the price will go up... Nothing comes for free. :(
I just inflated tires to 52 front, 50 rear. Drives much better:)

rfishoutofwater
10-24-12, 11:54 AM
I know it would be good to have new tires installed, but the price will go up... Nothing comes for free. :(
I just inflated tires to 52 front, 50 rear. Drives much better:)

Anytime I have bought a used vehicle from a dealer the vehicle has had new or newer tires except once. In my negotiations I was able to get a new set of tires plus what I was offering. So if you do t ask or haggle you won't know. If they truly want a sale they will work with you! That's the last thing I want to do after making a large purchase is to spend more for tires when I shouldn't have too.

icaddy
10-24-12, 04:44 PM
Anytime I have bought a used vehicle from a dealer the vehicle has had new or newer tires except once. In my negotiations I was able to get a new set of tires plus what I was offering. So if you do t ask or haggle you won't know. If they truly want a sale they will work with you! That's the last thing I want to do after making a large purchase is to spend more for tires when I shouldn't have too.

Well, I did argue and got $200 off, so I bought 2 sets of tires from Craigslist with $100 each, on the same day. Again, I am a cheap guy. :D

rfishoutofwater
10-24-12, 05:49 PM
Well, I did argue and got $200 off, so I bought 2 sets of tires from Craigslist with $100 each, on the same day. Again, I am a cheap guy. :D

That's good. You got something.