: 2011 CTS V Coupe Transmission failure

joeybabez
10-22-12, 03:25 PM
17,000 miles mostly highway automatic never been to track not really that hard on it barely use the manual sport mode hand full of times blown 4,5,6 gears wouldnt even drive in regular mode had to drive it to the dealer in manual mode in 3rd gear at 35 mph the whole way 10 miles
mechanic at dealer said there was significant metal pieces stuck to the magnet in the transmission pan
does this sound like the failure a 70k flagship car should have ?
is it possible to be a electronic computer error
considering that the ride before i had not one single issue with it
no sounds not cling clang or bing bang
just out of no where started shifting hard and finally stop shifting totally

thebigjimsho
10-24-12, 11:06 AM
Sorry to hear. But if you're going to play the "I should never have a problem with a 70k car", rest assured a $160k Panamera and $110k BMW M/AMG have these types of problems, too...

mpouls1
10-24-12, 11:34 AM
Also lot of threads of low diff fluid's right off the line...

I wonder if this is still happening now?

Xaqtly
10-24-12, 12:36 PM
Might be, but that's not the same thing as a transmission problem. And honestly I haven't heard of an AT going out before now, so I think it's safe to say that an AT transmission failure like that is very far off the norm and I wouldn't expect it to happen to anybody else.

joeybabez
10-24-12, 12:51 PM
Dealer said that the valve body and piston failed and caused the damage to 456
There replacing the whole tranny
They labeled it as a catastrophic malfunction

thebigjimsho
10-24-12, 01:25 PM
That is rare. I wouldn't worry about that happening again...

hulksdaddy
10-24-12, 05:07 PM
Caddy bought my first V Coupe back because of a tranny issue.

jwa999
10-24-12, 05:18 PM
My '09 tranny failed after 6000 Miles. 5th gear completely locked up. They replaced it, now at 40K, no more problems.
Occasional manufacturing failure...

joeybabez
10-24-12, 05:41 PM
So apparently it does happen not to often but it does and I was the unlucky one this time
As long as the replace the transmission with a new one and warranty there work I'm happy not everyday you can have 10,000$ job done for nothing

----------

They also gave me a loaner coupe but its a 3.6 which compared to the V drives and rides like shit just saying bounces around and the gas pedal is so sensitive when the car bounces driving through intersections there is a jerking motion in the car as your foot is on the gas pedal
And I live in Arizona we have pretty smooth streets so I could only imaging if I were back on Staten Island

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-25-12, 03:30 PM
So apparently it does happen not to often but it does and I was the unlucky one this time
As long as the replace the transmission with a new one and warranty there work I'm happy not everyday you can have 10,000$ job done for nothing
----------
They also gave me a loaner coupe but its a 3.6 which compared to the V drives and rides like shit just saying bounces around and the gas pedal is so sensitive when the car bounces driving through intersections there is a jerking motion in the car as your foot is on the gas pedal
And I live in Arizona we have pretty smooth streets so I could only imaging if I were back on Staten Island

Thank you for the updates, Joeybabez! I'm very sorry you experienced this, and please let me know if you would like me to follow up with your dealer and officially document your feedback. (And if you already have an existing case with our Customer Service department, then I can check for case updates for you.) Email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

RGaret
10-25-12, 05:26 PM
Sorry to hear. But if you're going to play the "I should never have a problem with a 70k car", rest assured a $160k Panamera and $110k BMW M/AMG have these types of problems, too...

I knew someone with a Lexus RX, 18,000 miles and the tranny ate itself. I also remember reading of a BMW that Car and Driver had that blew its motor after a few thousand miles. These things do happen.

McGuffy
10-25-12, 05:33 PM
$70k or $700k, it's still a machine, and machines malfunction from time to time. If they make it right, then all is good.

jd mack
10-25-12, 10:22 PM
I had a catastrophic transmission failure in a 2007 MB CLS550 resulting in lemon law buyback.No problems so far with my '13 CTSV sedan.Best of luck.