: Blue tape for Mid Country Trip?

dennych
10-22-12, 01:45 PM
Hey guys,

So I'll likely be buying a used CTS-V Wagon and I'll be driving it 1,300 miles from Oklahoma to Southern California. Would you recommend that I use Blue Painters tape for the drive to protect it?

http://www.ourvq.com/topic/300-taping-up-the-front/

My co-worker recommend I clear-bra it when I get home.

neuronbob
10-22-12, 02:23 PM
Yes (painter's tape), and yes (clear bra upon arrival home). Unlike you like rock chips. :)

Is it too soon to say "congratulations"?

Karch
10-22-12, 02:51 PM
Awesome. I hadn't thought of that. I'm looking at a 1500 mile trip myself.

What did you wind up getting?

96Fleetwood
10-22-12, 03:17 PM
I put the tape on the mirrors and lower lip of my Dad's Viper when we took it on 400 mile trip. It worked well in the areas it was applied.

nynd
10-22-12, 03:25 PM
I would definitely put the clear bra on it. If you know of a provider, sometimes they have scraps you can pick up from them (end of the roll) that you can just peel and apply to the front end. I did this when I did my 400 mile trip and it protected the front end from all the bugs and road debris. Otherwise, go with the tape. Putting on the clear scraps may not look the prettiest, but they do a good job.

dennych
10-22-12, 04:17 PM
Awesome. I hadn't thought of that. I'm looking at a 1500 mile trip myself.

What did you wind up getting?

I ended up getting a 2012 V-Wagon :)

But it looks like most people agree that I should at least put some painters tape on. I actually never thought about it until my co-worker mentioned it. I'm guessing only in the front and mirrors is ok. What about the hood?

Also how many of you clear bra your cars? I'm guessing when I get back I'll get a pro to do it since I would mess it up.

neuronbob
10-22-12, 05:23 PM
I clear bra all of my daily drivers. I went even further with my V in that I had the hood, mirrors, front fenders, rocker panels, and top of the rear bumper clear bra'd. Necessary for paint protection with the weak-sauce water-based paint the auto manufacturers (not just GM) use nowadays.

Bigron
10-22-12, 05:44 PM
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc404/ronoversiii/ade7cda1.jpg

Not a bad idea. 3" roll made it go quick.

cdog533
10-22-12, 06:12 PM
All of these things are SUPER GAY. It's a car, and meant for driving. It's not a 32 Duesenberg you are driving to Pebble Beach to show....

Geez. Plenty of guys are driving Ferraris and Astons and Lambos. Do you ever see any tape??? NO!

Tape = vagina repellent.

CTS V Tuner
10-22-12, 06:17 PM
Clear tack/shelf paper works great too, we used to run it at the track regularly with 140+mph straightaway speeds.

We found that any surface that faces forward benefits, tire marbles leave skid marks anywhere they hit and give additional input on areas to protect. So the areas mentioned above, plus the leading edge of the roof, and the fender flare area, also the the rear bumper cover from about 2/3 of the way to the top of the tire down and under the bumper cover.

Another tip:

Pam cooking spray.

Don't laugh, it won't do any harm, but once everything is taped/papered use Pam on the grilles and the bugs won't stick. Learned this one in my sports car racing travels, teams use the spray so the tire marbles easily brush off or in some cases fall off the wire screens (similar to our V grilles) in the front air dam and radiator openings.

To clean the Pam off the grilles, use a diluted mixture of dish soap and water when you get home and before you unmask the car. The detergent removes the oil completely and you're bug free in minutes. If you do it before unmasking, you do t have to worry about the detergent removing any wax from the paint finish.

RGaret
10-22-12, 06:27 PM
All of these things are SUPER GAY. It's a car, and meant for driving. It's not a 32 Duesenberg you are driving to Pebble Beach to show....

Geez. Plenty of guys are driving Ferraris and Astons and Lambos. Do you ever see any tape??? NO!

Tape = vagina repellent.

Everyone has their priorities and if folks want to go to great lengths to protect their vehicle, then this their prerogative. I however do not feel this way. I bought this car to enjoy driving. Whatever happens to it, so be it. I can and will trade it in someday to get something else. Toward that end, I do take precautions about where I park it and trying to keep it damage free and clean just so I can maximize the value.

cts-v-ette
10-22-12, 09:59 PM
I can see that if your running at the track, but just to take a long drive! I don't think I ever seen anybody do something like on the road. If that was me I'd be sure I had limo tint. Trust me I care a lot about my car, you'll never see me driving down the road with my car looking like that.

sybersport
10-22-12, 10:45 PM
I used clear plasti-dip on my front end for a 1200 mile trek. It worked quite well - no rock chips, and after I used some bug/tar remover on it, it wiped clean off.

dennych
10-22-12, 10:58 PM
haha, I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing. But my co-worker said it would be wise to do so. I've heard horror stories about crappy paint chipping off pretty badly at long treks. I figure if I manage to find the time I'll tape it. If not It won't be the end of the world. Thanks for the reference photo bigron.

Kado
10-23-12, 02:17 AM
I bought my car to drive as well, that's why I clear bra'd it. Stone chips all over the front look like shit to me. Also helps the bugs wipe right off

Bigron
10-23-12, 06:31 PM
Everyone has their priorities and if folks want to go to great lengths to protect their vehicle, then this their prerogative.

Great lengths? 30 mins while my paperwork was getting done. Plus the faces of the people in the store when a couple 20 something’s (barely fit in that bucket so I will use it while I still can) walk in with backpacks and just start taping the car in the middle of the showroom was a lot of fun.
Last thing I wanted was a bunch of rock chips on my first brand new car after driving through some back roads in towns I didn't know in Minnesota/U.P.

CTS V Tuner
10-25-12, 11:44 AM
Really, when you think about it, it's not a bad idea. You can't predict when the DOT will have road destruction crews along your way on a trip that length, it's cheap insurance that you get home cleaner and in better shape. Local driving is different, you know your way around and can detour past most road work involving loose gravel, sand, road oil/tar etc. but that's just too hard to predict on the open road, so I say it's a few minutes and dollars well spent to protect your new purchase. It would suck to spend your entire ownership saying "that happened driving the car back from where I bought it". Just saying...

stogieman
10-25-12, 02:02 PM
I have a 2008 DTS and I am Picking up a CTS V Coupe this Saturday.. I have 46 K on the DTS and mostly all highway and back road driving and I do have some small rock chips but not very many..I think a clear bra may be the thing.. Question what happens to the clear bra when a road rock slams into it..Does it show a dent in it or rough spot and can you see it?

Jerry in Minnesota.

Torxila
10-26-12, 09:28 PM
Guys,

Use ROAD-Wrap !!! Google it. Enough with the blue tape for crying out loud!

for the lazy

http://www.buyroadwrap.com/articles/Paint-Protection-Film-articles.aspx

baabootoo
10-27-12, 12:41 PM
Yeah, Road Wrap is the way to go. I used to use carpet protector, from Home Depot, until this came along.

dennych
10-27-12, 01:58 PM
Hmmm even though I'm shipping it. All of this could be useful if I do the Mojave mile :D

tedcmiller
10-28-12, 12:30 AM
I am with the people who think the whole idea is stupid. The car is meant to be driven as is. Why waste your time and money?

thebigjimsho
10-28-12, 04:03 PM
Because paint protection is a valuable return on investment. Either you can look like a slob when you go to sell it or you look like you care. If you keep it, it can sit in your yard with your rusted out Camaro or it can shine nicely at the local car show.

There is really no debate. You either care about your car or you don't...

10-28-12, 06:06 PM
I am with the people who think the whole idea is stupid. The car is meant to be driven as is. Why waste your time and money?

Is washing the car also stupid? Is any cosmetic maintenance stupid?

folks can and should do what ever they feel like to allow them to protect and enjoy their cars. If nobody cared then we might as well all drive Hyundais and Priuses.......

Plenty of people think that owning, driving, and caring about a car like a CTS-V is.....stupid. They too are entitled to their opinion.