: Fixing up my A/C System, What Should I Do?

normalicy
10-22-12, 05:51 AM
OK, so my Cadillac has been without A/C since I bought it (4-5 years now). I know that when I first got it that it would blow cold if I charged it up, but it leaked back down within a day or two. It was impossible to tell where it was leaking from except somewhere near the front of the compressor due to the fan blowing the dye everywhere. I took one look at what it would take to replace the compressor & decided that I didn't need A/C. Recently though, the compressor's bearing decided to start squealing & I figured that this is as good a time as any to get the system back the way it's supposed to be.

I've already replaced the compressor and plan on replacing the dryer, but should I replace anything else before I send it off to be evacuated & charged?

jupiter57
10-22-12, 06:57 PM
Along with the dryer, you may want to check into changing the Expansion Valve also.
When I bought my Compressor, the warranty was void if I did not replace both, AND flush the lines!
Long story short, I wound up with one each Dryer & Expansion Valve that I will make you a good deal on should you need them!:)

normalicy
10-22-12, 10:01 PM
I was worried you'd say that. Looks like a pain to get to. Also, is there an replaceable in-line filter anywhere?

jupiter57
10-23-12, 10:57 AM
I was worried you'd say that. Looks like a pain to get to. Also, is there an replaceable in-line filter anywhere?

It's not really that terribly painful, just need some patience. I got into mine very easily, only to find that someone before had rounded off the hex screws that attach the EV to the Evap. core.
I had to buy a (used) new Evaporator core, now THAT was a pain to replace! Had to drop the steering column out of the way, pull out the old Evap., slip in new, but had the screw heads not been buggered, it would have been quite easy, probably no more than 2 hours tops for an old crippled fool like myself! LOL
Just be sure you have a set of really good (Read:New) Hex wrenches & use the proper size & it will not be bad.
(Let me know if you need the proper sizes for the hex wrenches & I'll check & give you the sizes you need before you mess up)

Also, there are no replaceable in-line filter.

normalicy
10-23-12, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the encouragement/advice. I've got all the tools in the world and believe me, I have a healthy fear of rounded nuts/bolts. FYI, I sent you a PM on the Dryer & Expansion Valve.

jupiter57
10-25-12, 06:29 PM
Replied to your PM.

normalicy
10-25-12, 11:33 PM
Replied back.