: new and looking into purchasing a cadillac

is3_ftw
10-21-12, 08:57 PM
Im not new to the forums. I am 36yrs old and have owned my 01 Lexus IS300 for the past 6yrs. Im getting tired of her and looking to purchase a Cadillac STS standard model, or platinum. Maybe a V series, if the motor is stronger and more reliable. Just not sure about the MPG on the V series, hence why im looking for a V6 ;)

I have been doing some research but havent had any luck. There just doesnt seem to be that much support, nor aftermarket support on them. Im at a stand still and tired of hearing the same old, dont buy Cadillac or American. Yes, I have owned Japanese models pretty much my whole life. I did own one American, a '90 Pontiac Grand Am when I was in High School. That was my first and last American made car, cus the motor knocked and then the tranny went out. I hope the newer models are much more reliable?

If anyone on here can guide me in the right direction, or have knowledge on these cars. Dont hesitate to reply and we can go from there.

Thanks and hope to hear from u

Submariner409
10-22-12, 03:43 PM
You're probably better off with this question up in the STS forums rather than in the Clubs/Meets area.

STS and STS-V are two very, very different cars, and each model has its own forums and discussions.

burkewm
10-22-12, 09:24 PM
I have the V6. Get about 23-24MPG on it combined with about 70/30 highway/city miles... I stomp on it at least once a day though :halo:

carter's_sts
10-23-12, 12:00 AM
I Have both the STS (V6) and the STS-V. Very different indeed. Both get poor gas mileage by today's standards. The V gets horrible mileage in the city and "ok" on the highway (about 22 if you take it easy). But the V is so dang fun.

Don't buy the STS if you're looking for good mileage, but it is a great car.

is3_ftw
10-28-12, 11:00 PM
Been so busy, havent had time to get back on here.

Im looking for Pros and Cons on the STS?
What added options came with the standard model and what are the differences in standard vs platinum?

Thanks for the support :thumbsup:

You're probably better off with this question up in the STS forums rather than in the Clubs/Meets area.

STS and STS-V are two very, very different cars, and each model has its own forums and discussions.

Oops, I thought I was in the STS forum. I feel like a noob :canttalk:
I was browsing and didnt look to see what part of the forum I was on. Sorry and thanks for moving it for me$$

I Have both the STS (V6) and the STS-V. Very different indeed. Both get poor gas mileage by today's standards. The V gets horrible mileage in the city and "ok" on the highway (about 22 if you take it easy). But the V is so dang fun.

Don't buy the STS if you're looking for good mileage, but it is a great car.

I was meaning between Standard STS vs V series. Thanks for claifying that. Whats the difference between them?
I own an IS300 that came with a inline-6 2jz motor, which gets around the same gas mileage as the STS v6 motor.

is3_ftw
10-31-12, 12:36 AM
Now I see why there is a lack of support on the STS. When newbies come on here, or whether your an STS owners, there is no help for the issues that come up on here.

Can someone show me some links or another Cadillac forum that will direct me to the right place?

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-31-12, 12:59 AM
Now I see why there is a lack of support on the STS. When newbies come on here, or whether your an STS owners, there is no help for the issues that come up on here.

Can someone show me some links or another Cadillac forum that will direct me to the right place?

I have a 3.6 with tons of miles and so far it has treated me well and I love it but I do take super good care of it...the 3.6 does consume a lot of oil and you have to watch those timing chains. Can't really help you on the northstar or v series.

Ludacrisvp
10-31-12, 02:40 AM
This is the only forum I have found that even tries to help out with any issue on the STS.
Most other forums are like you mean CTS right? or DTS? The STS is the often forgotten middle child.
Platinums (from what I've read) have basically every option except the V series brake package.

This is all from the top of my head so don't shoot me if something is inaccurate...
There are a lot of options and trim levels so I will not have them all.

STS
3.6 L V6 2XX HP (not sure of HP) 5spd 5L50E Auto
3.6 L DI V6 302? HP 6spd 6L50E Auto
-or-
4.6 L VVT V8 Northstar 320HP 5L50E Auto, 6L50E Auto 2007+
RWD w/ limited slip or AWD
Passive suspension or Magnetic Ride Control
HUD with Adaptive Cruise Control
Lane Departure Avoidance system / Side Blind Zone Alert

STS-V
4.4 L VVT V8 Northstar Supercharged 469HP
RWD only w/ limited slip
6spd HD transmission
Different suspension setup - (not sure if it was available with passive suspension)
heated washer nozzles
different hood, bumpers, spoiler, wheels, 6 lug rims, brembo brakes, fog lights/turn signals
Platinum level interior
unique wood appointments
08+ HUD was available, lane departure/sbza optional (no Adaptive Cruise?)

The list goes on and on and on... it takes a lot of research to decide what year and model and options you want/need.
I cannot and will not do that for you.

I did own one American, a '90 Pontiac Grand Am when I was in High School. That was my first and last American made car, cus the motor knocked and then the tranny went out. I hope the newer models are much more reliable?
The STS is nothing like a Grand Am in any way, you are comparing pears to grenades here.
As a previous owner of 2 Grand Ams I can say without a doubt that the body style of the '90 Grand Am was never good, even in 1990 the car was junk.
The next body style contained vast improvements ('92-'95) 96-98 was a waste, 99-05 was again vastly improved as well. But even then you are talking about a $20K car compared to an STS that could be 3x the cost new. (Mine was $68,750 MSRP - still have original window sticker) This is like comparing a Camaro to a F1 Series Indy car...

1BadCadSTS
10-31-12, 10:25 AM
STSv do not have magride. They always had 6 speed auto and 08+ had HUD and lane depart optional.

truckinman
10-31-12, 11:41 AM
I've gotta pretty basic model STS. Doesnt even have a sun roof. But it's still got more bells n whistles then, say a loaded impala of the same year. Or Honda accord even. I've got the auto wipers, power telescoping tilting wheel that saves to memory. Heated seats. Bose. Back up sensors. Remote start/keyless start. And the list really goes on. I'm more than happy with my car. It is the V6 with 255 hp but that still enough power to have fun in. If I turn off the traction and stability control, it will still burn the tires clear thru a two lane intersection when I stomp hard on the gas.

is3_ftw
11-02-12, 01:16 AM
Thanks and sorry to come off at a negative attitude.

I dont expect anyone to make my decision for me. Im here to make sure the decision that I am making, is my package preference. I didnt find any info about the different packages that the STS comes with. Thanks for the help.
Now for the V, all I have read that it comes with is a corvette motor and electronic suspension or whatever its called.

Is oil consumption similar to the CTS oil consumption? I read that there is no oil light on the CTS to tell you that your low on oil; also, oil being changed at the stealership and after 2k miles, the engine broke. Is this similar to STS motors as well?
Is it better to buy OEM parts or will aftermarket parts work the same? I have always used OEM parts for all my cars.

I really do want to get a Cadillac STS, just need to get more helpful info to lean that way. I dont want to hear from critics that never driven one, but only read it from other critics.
Figured that I could get the help from members that own it and drive it day in and day out.
Again, sorry for coming out rude and thanks for the help so far. Keep them coming

About the GrandAm comment. I was stating that I havent owned an American made car since 1997

truckinman
11-02-12, 03:57 AM
The STS V does not come with a corvette engine. It's a 4.4 V8. The CTS V is what has the corvette engine.

----------

I also use to have a Lexus before my Cadillac. 2 as a matter of fact. An ES300 and a GS400. That 400 was a beast. Lol. But, even tho my STS is only a V6 with 45 less hp than my 400 had, I still enjoy my STS MORE than either of my Lexus cars.

Just letting you know I can relate trying to make the switch from a Lexus to a caddy. I'll admit, you won't find a more reliable luxury car than a Lexus, but I love my STS and haven't looked back. My GS even had the navigation, and my STS does not. Yet I'd still take my STS over the Lexus. Even tho it's not QUITE as fast, my STS is much more pleasurable to drive. It's got a TON more personality. It's got American heritage. It's just an all around better experience than my Lexus.

Again, it was nice getting nearly 250k outa the ES and not even having anything break on it until the 235k mark. Seriously, my folks bought it when it only had about 30k on it and at 200k they gave it to me bc they bought a new Avalon limited. And they never once put it in the shop.

But anyway, I got side tracked. Lol. My point is I still like my STS more.

KRSTS
11-02-12, 10:55 AM
After five years and 50K miles I still love my STS. Look forward to driving it whenever I can. I have the 2008 3.6DI and it has plenty of power and handles like a dream. Some people only want a V8 but I'm happy with my V6. Get 21 MPG aver all.

Ludacrisvp
11-02-12, 12:11 PM
Also for the STS V the 4.4L motors were all carefully hand built rather than a typical production line from what I've read. The STS V doesn't have the electronically controlled suspension referred to as magnaride or MRC. A lot of the casual car person hears of the CTS V and assumes all of its features / components are used in the STS V and XLR V, this causes confusion and creates issues. The CTS V is the only V using a Chevy motor, the others are the N*.

Regarding oil usage and oil level light.
The V6 used in the CTS and STS is the same afaik. Therefore they both have oil usage issues and no level light for some or all years and timing chain problems. The slightly better mileage compared to the N* V8 is not worth the hassle that the engine's other downfalls are. The N* takes a beating and keeps on running strong. I've only read of one bad head gasket on here for the 05+ STS and that failure was something that seemed more like a troll post than an actual failure so I call it unconfirmed that anyone has needed HGs for this car. Oil consumption on my STS V8 is nonexistent. I am at about 8k miles on this oil and its level on the dipstick hasn't changed at all. My car has 70k miles on it and is AWD.

There are lots of RPO package codes.
1SG typically is what one would call loaded but there are still lots of options it's missing by default that can be added such as premium Tuscany leather that gives you full leather seats and leather on some surfaces of the door and possibly armrest too. There are also the SBZA and lane departure and ACC and HUD in the drivers awareness package and there is a summer tire option that gives you the 6 lug V setup for wheels and brakes. User 1SGLAC has the option on his car. Try to avoid rental or fleet cars if you don't want the speed limiter to be just over 100mph rather than the typical one around 150mph.

EChas3
11-02-12, 06:15 PM
Platinum STS has it all EXCEPT ACC, at least prior to 2008. Starting in 2010, RainSense were deleted and V8's became almost rare. Although many of the best options were only available on V8 models in early years, this was relaxed a bit in later years.

Unless mileage is a high priority, I'd look for a 2008 or 2009 loaded 1SG. I love the toys, especially ACC!

scott9001
11-02-12, 09:09 PM
I have a 05 sts with a v8 it is loaded nav,HUD,mrc and such I love the car and when it is all waxed up it looks awesome but personally I would not buy such a big car with a v6(sorry guys) and for the fuel mileage I get I should of looked more for a sts-v, but there hard to find here in Ontario! I chose this car over a 2005 cts-v the ride was much more luxurious, and wasn't feeling the standard transmission in the car I found it felt crowded, but I personally love my car, oil changes are pricey 8L of synthetic motor oil adds up. Just don't jump the river and buy the first one you see and be sure to make sure the car unlocks as you walk up to it and such because they are known for having broken door handles, anyways just look around!

is3_ftw
11-02-12, 10:36 PM
Are STS(V) models come standard, or are they all Auto?
All good info about motors and stuff.
I like the design from 08+ models. 05+ still have a good design and leaning towards them yrs. Unless I can steal an 08 from someone...

Whats the price you guys pay for gas from 1/4 tank to full on what level of gas? I use 92 octane Chevron in my IS.

Just letting you know I can relate trying to make the switch from a Lexus to a caddy. I'll admit, you won't find a more reliable luxury car than a Lexus, but I love my STS and haven't looked back. My GS even had the navigation, and my STS does not. Yet I'd still take my STS over the Lexus. Even tho it's not QUITE as fast, my STS is much more pleasurable to drive. It's got a TON more personality. It's got American heritage. It's just an all around better experience than my Lexus.

Again, it was nice getting nearly 250k outa the ES and not even having anything break on it until the 235k mark.

Likewise. My 01 IS300 has over 230k now without any major issues. I do like the reliability and to step away and go into something that I have no experience with cautions me. Ive always used Full Synthetic oil

Platinum STS has it all EXCEPT ACC, at least prior to 2008. Starting in 2010, RainSense were deleted and V8's became almost rare. Although many of the best options were only available on V8 models in early years, this was relaxed a bit in later years.

Unless mileage is a high priority, I'd look for a 2008 or 2009 loaded 1SG. I love the toys, especially ACC!

What is ACC?

I've gotta pretty basic model STS. Doesnt even have a sun roof. But it's still got more bells n whistles then, say a loaded impala of the same year. Or Honda accord even. I've got the auto wipers, power telescoping tilting wheel that saves to memory. Heated seats. Bose. Back up sensors. Remote start/keyless start. And the list really goes on. I'm more than happy with my car. It is the V6 with 255 hp but that still enough power to have fun in. If I turn off the traction and stability control, it will still burn the tires clear thru a two lane intersection when I stomp hard on the gas.

Does the remote start come standard with the STS or did you buy aftermarket?

EChas3
11-02-12, 10:55 PM
I think Remote Start is standard but I might come with Nav.

ACC is Radar Cruise Control. Not everyone likes it but I doubt I buy another daily driver without it.

I'm not a V expert but I think they all have 6-speed autos.

The tank hold 17.5 gallons.

carter's_sts
11-03-12, 12:18 AM
Yes, 6 speed autos on the Vs......with manual override of course.

Ludacrisvp
11-03-12, 01:12 AM
I think all have remote start standard.

is3_ftw
11-03-12, 01:35 AM
hahaha...I meant is it standard for STS and the V. I wasnt clear :(

truckinman
11-03-12, 11:51 AM
I think all have remote start standard.

Yep remote start is standard regardless the package you may have.

EChas3
11-03-12, 01:14 PM
It won't work for Fobs matched as #3 or #4 due to configuration settings for Driver 1 & 2, which must be set as well.

is3_ftw
11-03-12, 02:18 PM
It won't work for Fobs matched as #3 or #4 due to configuration settings for Driver 1 & 2, which must be set as well.

Im confused lol

Ludacrisvp
11-03-12, 02:27 PM
You can pair 4 key fobs to the car. Only those that are matched as 1 or 2 can have personalized settings. Each driver must enable the remote start feature in their profile. They also can set if they want cabin temp controlled and seat temp and rear defrost / heated mirrors activated. Cabin temp when enabled always works, the others are based on exterior temp and coolant temp to determine what needs to be turned on. If its hot enough outside the seat ventilation turns on if cold enough the heated seat is on.

truckinman
11-03-12, 02:54 PM
You can pair 4 key fobs to the car. Only those that are matched as 1 or 2 can have personalized settings. Each driver must enable the remote start feature in their profile. They also can set if they want cabin temp controlled and seat temp and rear defrost / heated mirrors activated. Cabin temp when enabled always works, the others are based on exterior temp and coolant temp to determine what needs to be turned on. If its hot enough outside the seat ventilation turns on if cold enough the heated seat is on.

And to add to this so you don't get even more confused after you buy one, on the back of each fob is a number. Those numbers mean nothing when it comes to programming them. It's simply a way to identify between your wifes and your remote for example.

1BadCadSTS
11-03-12, 02:54 PM
If equipped. Vent seats are rare. Heated are cimmon but still optional equipment.

is3_ftw
11-03-12, 04:16 PM
I found a car that looks like it has everything but the kitchen sink. I like the color combo cus of the black interior and its not silver, black or white exterior.
Let me know what you think about the car; miles and cost. Just remember that this is WA with 1 of the highest tax states. Based on that, the price might be higher than your state.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2013&zip=98387&photosOnly=true&sellerTypes=b&pricesOnly=true&showcaseListingId=318142758&mmt=%5BCAD%5BSTS%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=STS&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&makeCode1=CAD&startYear=1981&showcaseOwnerId=100016026&searchRadius=200&listingId=327900661&Log=0

Thats awesome. On my car, I have a clifford alarm that has remote start. I have to program everything by hand before I get out of the car. Cus mine isnt electrical, but manual :(

EChas3
11-03-12, 04:25 PM
I think all but the base models get the heated seats. Vented are included on 1SG (incl Platinum) & optional on 1SC (V6) & 1SF (V8).

----------

Seems a bit high for a base V8 with 75,000 miles. Any warranty?

I didn't see Navigation so no Bluetooth, either.

is3_ftw
11-03-12, 05:16 PM
^^^^if you look at the last pic, it shows a nav screen or am I mistaken?
How do you know its a base, versus one with all the options?

Ludacrisvp
11-03-12, 07:03 PM
Well it appears it must have sold already.

EChas3
11-03-12, 08:19 PM
If it had Nav, I'm confident it would have been listed. Likewise, the Bose 15.1 DTS Surround DVD. Of course, I could be wrong.

Very few of the higher-end models don't have the above. I suppose it could have been a 1SF or 1SG with Nav deleted, but I really doubt it.

Obviously, I don't understand your market. Based on the quick sale, my car might be worth almost what I paid for it 4 years & 40,000 miles ago!

Ludacrisvp
11-03-12, 10:15 PM
What was the mileage and cost and year? I didn't get to see any of the details.

EChas3
11-03-12, 10:24 PM
Crisp- It was a 2007 V8 with 75,000 miles. They were asking just short of $18G.

Ludacrisvp
11-04-12, 12:08 AM
Well it appears it must have sold already.
cancel that statement ... either it was an issue with autotrader at the time or some funky link breakage from tapatalk as its still listed for sale when looking from the Mac.

----
compnine shows this is 1SF with FE1 suspension JE5 brakes and the GU2 2.73 axel ratio it does have heated/ventilated seats also appears to be RWD model (don't see any AWD mentions in the RPO decode)
With that axel ratio and RWD only the mileage will be the basically as high as you can get with the V8 model. Doesn't this typically indicate possible fleet / rental car?

Vehicle: STS V8 4 DR
Year: 2007
Build Date: Unk.

Found 4,094 vehicles matching your year and model in our database.
RPO Description
UA6 THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM ANTI-THEFT(UA6)
UE1 COMMUNICATION SYSTEM VEHICLE, G.P.S. 1 GPS 1 VEH COMM SYS(UE1)
UG1 OPENER GARAGE DOOR, UNIVERSAL UNIVERSAL GARAGE DR OPENER(UG1)
UJ6 INDICATOR,LOW TIRE PRESS LOW TIRE PRESSURE IND(UJ6)
UY5 SPEAKER SYSTEM 15, DELUXE DELUXE SPKR SYS(UY5)
U2K DIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND DIGITAL S-BAND AUDIO SYS(U2K)
U30 CLUSTER INST, TACH, CLOCK CLUSTER(U30)
V4X MODEL CONVERSION GMX295, STS V8 STS V8(V4X)
V73 VEHICLE STATEMENT - US/CANADA US/CANADA VEHICLE STATEMENT(V73)
YQ4 INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM 012 INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM(YQ4)
1SF PACKAGE OPTION 06 OPTION PACKAGE 06 OPTION PACKAGE 06 (1SF)
PACKAGE OPTION 06 OPTION PACKAGE 06 OPTION PACKAGE 06 SALES PACKAGE(1SF)
1SZ PACKAGE OPTION- (1SZ)
19I INTERIOR TRIM COLOR (19I)
INTERIOR TRIM,BLACK (19I)
INTERIOR TRIM,EBONY (19I)
192 TRIM COMBINATION,BLACK LEATHER (192)
53U EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY (53U)
PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, ANTIQUE BRONZE MET (53U)
PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, LIPARI GREY MET (53U)
6LJ COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP SUSP(6LJ)
7LJ COMPONENT FRT RH - COMPUTER SEL SUSP SUSP(7LJ)
8XT COMPONENT RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (8XT) SUSP(8XT)
9XT COMPONENT RR RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (9XT) SUSP(9XT)
AL0 SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT, FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR INFL REST IND SENSOR(AL0)
AL2 CONTROL SEAT, POWER LUMBAR SEAT CTL,PWR LUMBAR(AL2)
AP9 NET,CONVENIENCE CONVENIENCE NET(AP9)
AQ9 SEAT,FRONT BUCKET,DRIVER,PASSENGER,RECLINING RECL FRT BKT ST,LUXURY(AQ9)
AT8 RESTRAINT PROVISIONS CHILD, RR SEAT, RR FACING RR SEAT RR FACING CHILD RESTRAINT PROVISIONS(AT8)
AY0 RESTRAINT SYSTEM SEAT, INFLATABLE, DRIVER & PASS, FRT SIDE, ROOF SIDE DRVR & PASS FRT SIDE & ROOF INFLATABLE RESTRAINT(AY0)
A45 MEMORY SEAT ADJUSTER, MIRROR, POWER, DRIVER & ENHANCED MEMORY PERSONALIZATION MEMORY MIR AND ST ADJ(A45)
B0A VEHICLE GM PROD WEEK 19 GM VEH PROD WEEK 19(B0A)
B20 ORNAMENTATION,INTERIOR(LUXURY) LUXURY INTR(B20)
CE1 WIPER SYSTEM WINDSHIELD, PULSE, MOISTURE SENSITIVE W/S WPR,PULSE MOISTURE SENSITIVE(CE1)
CE4 WASHER,HEADLAMP,HIGH PRESSURE HDLP WA(CE4)
CF5 ROOF,SUN,GLASS SLIDING,ELECTRIC ELEC SUNROOF(GLASS)(CF5)
CJ2 HVAC SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONER FRT, AUTO TEMP CONT, AUX TEMP CONT A/C FRT AUTO/AUX CONT(CJ2)
CTF SALES PACKAGE INTERIM CONTROL INTERIM SALES PKG(CTF)
DD8 MIRROR,INSIDE,REARVIEW,TILT,AUTOMATIC,LIGHT SENSITIVE I/S RR VIEW MIR,LIGHT SENSITIVE(DD8)
DR2 MIRROR,OUTSIDE,LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL,ELECTRIC, MANUAL FOLDING HEATED R/CONT HTD O/S MIR(DR2)
FE1 SUSPENSION SYSTEM,SOFT RIDE SOFT RIDE SUSP(FE1)
FE9 FEDERAL EMISSION CERTIFICATION FED EMIS(FE9)
GU2 AXLE,REAR,2.73 RATIO 2.73R(GU2)
G64 SALES PACKAGE PERFORMANCE PERFORMANCE PKG(G64)
IL2 TRIM,INTERIOR DESIGN (IL2)
JE5 BRAKE SYSTEM PWR, ANTILOCK, FRT & RR WHL FRT & RR ANTILOCK BRK(JE5)
JJA PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJA)
JJD I/P SUBASSEMBLY NOT INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJD)
JJL SUSPENSION FRONT NOT INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJL)
JJM SUSPENSION REAR NOT INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJM)
KA6 HEATER,RR SEAT REAR SEAT HEATER(KA6)
KB6 HEATER SEAT, COOLING, FRT COOLING FRT ST HTR(KB6)
KG4 GENERATOR 150 AMP 150 AMP GEN(KG4)
LH2 ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 4.6L/(281 CID), SFI, V8, DOHC, HO, ALUM, GM 4.6A(LH2)
MX0 TRANSMISSION,AUTOMATIC,OVERDRIVE(MERCHANDISING OPTION) A/TRANS PROVISIONS(MX0)
MYB TRANSMISSION AUTO 6 SPD, HMD, 6L-50 6-SPD A/TRANS(MYB)
NT7 EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER 2 TIER 2 FED EMIS(NT7)
N31 STEERING WHEEL HEATED HTD STRG WHL(N31)
QF8 WHEEL 18 X 8, ALUMINUM, POLISHED ALUM WHL(QF8)
Q12 TIRE ALL P235/50R18 FRT & P255/45R18 RR TIRE(Q12)
R6F CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 06
R6K CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 11
R6P CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 15
R7N CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 39
R9B CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 77
R9N CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 89
SLM SALES PROCESSING - STOCK ORDERS
TQ5 CONTROL INTELLIGENT HIGH BEAM INTELLIGENT HIGH BEAM CONTROL(TQ5)
TT6 HEADLAMPS HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE HI INTENS DISCHARGE HDLP(TT6)

EChas3
11-04-12, 01:00 AM
I stand corrected. I am surprised the seller didn't more promenently advertise the Bose 15.1 & Nav.

The vented seats are nice as well as the auto-dimming headlights, HID's, etc.

is3_ftw
11-04-12, 01:49 PM
The seller has a disclaimer on the details of items listed might not be 100% accurate.

My next question is, should i buy a cadillac from a cadillac stealership?

1BadCadSTS
11-04-12, 01:52 PM
If you want a GOOD warranty as well as service history your far better off at a dealer...

EChas3
11-04-12, 03:51 PM
Even though non-Cadillac GM dealers may have access to all the same resources as Cadillac dealers, they don't have the expereince of the best Cadillac dealers. These are complex cars priced below most cars with similar features. A good warranty will usually pay for itself.

Good dealers do stand behind their sales. My wife and I have bought 5 cars from our dealer and all of us have benefited. We also use a couple good independants for minor stuff.

I've bough

studio caddi
11-05-12, 09:59 PM
If you want an STS with specific options that is exactly how you want it you can always buy a base model and then have a custom shop build the car exactly how you want it like I did .

1BadCadSTS
11-05-12, 10:36 PM
^rofl, sure because its that easy to add optional equipment which is NEVER prewired for these cars.

No its cheaper to find the one you want with the options you want not to add them...

EChas3
11-05-12, 10:40 PM
If you want an STS with specific options that is exactly how you want it you can always buy a base model and then have a custom shop build the car exactly how you want it like I did .

Patience is much less expensive!

Modding these cars is just 2 steps short of impossible.

is3_ftw
11-07-12, 11:50 PM

LOL. I am going to mod when I get her. Just dont want to spend more than I need. Im not 17 and living at home, where I can just throw money into a never ending pit. No such thing as a cheap mod when modding a car. Wheels, Lowering and possibly a better stereo if needed

Rushnack
11-09-12, 11:43 PM
I have a 2008 STS with a 3.6 L motor and RWD. with 46 k. I spent a lot of time looking for a great luxury used car.. I have so many times on this car its awesome and its kinda scary as well.. That being said.. I went to sites like Edmund's and Consumers guides to compare the specs and then looked at alot of the reviews... The 2006-10 caddies are great cars and if well taken care of should prove a well made purchase.. like everything everyone has different wants and tastes.. I found it came down to specs, looks, reviews and price.. I dont think you can go wrong with a well equipped CTS or STS side by side to most Asian or European models.

Wysguy
11-12-12, 05:17 PM
OK I understand the intentions totally. I personally have come from numerous Domestic and imported vehicles and even raced a few on the drag strip. The STS is the forgotten stepchild of the world it seems. Many people seem to think it is a CTS until you correct them firmly.
In July of this year I bought a '06 STS N* with 60k miles on it black/black for 16k (cash), it was like $18500 with tax title and lic. I purchased the car in San Jose and Registered it in Bullhead City AZ.
I did not buy this car at at Caddy dealer.
I had a price range set and wanted a STS, at one point I could have cared less which engine it had. The dealer I bought this car at had horrible reviews. I bought the car sight unseen over the interest and wired the money. I looked for this car for 3 months. I car faxed it and when I got to San Jose before I signed delivery papers I took it to the local Caddy dealer.
I thought I was going to regret it. I am 33. I have never regretted and love this car more than I thought I ever would. I am currently thinking of buying my wife one. She has a E Class and loves my car more.

As for modding wheels and lowering will affect your ride quality and that is up to you.
As for changing the radio.....It's not going to happen unless your prepared to dump some big $$ into it. These cars in the non "V" format are not really mod friendly. With this car and a pick lock the Dobly and DVD/NAV are perfect for me. Sometimes I want just a tad more bass but I am not going to even introduce more electrical draw to the car. Do your homework, go on car gurus.com or something similar and get a nice cross section, eboy motors helped me too. I could only ever find 4 black on blacks for sale in my area at the time and they ranged from '06-'08. I educated myself enough with this model that I did not have to listen to the deal give his talk because I knew more about him. I think if your looking to do multiple mods to the car other than a CAI for example this is not the car for you. The "V" has some suppliers that will reprogram PCM and things but again there is not much you can do and not much out there.

is3_ftw
11-22-12, 03:16 PM
Wysguy. Thanks for the tip. Do you have pics of her?

As for modding wheels and lowering will affect your ride quality and that is up to you.
As for changing the radio.....It's not going to happen unless your prepared to dump some big $$ into it. These cars in the non "V" format are not really mod friendly. With this car and a pick lock the Dobly and DVD/NAV are perfect for me. Sometimes I want just a tad more bass but I am not going to even introduce more electrical draw to the car. Do your homework, go on car gurus.com or something similar and get a nice cross section, eboy motors helped me too. I could only ever find 4 black on blacks for sale in my area at the time and they ranged from '06-'08. I educated myself enough with this model that I did not have to listen to the deal give his talk because I knew more about him. I think if your looking to do multiple mods to the car other than a CAI for example this is not the car for you. The "V" has some suppliers that will reprogram PCM and things but again there is not much you can do and not much out there.

I highlighted your comment about the modding a Non V. What do you mean about that?
This is awesome info about the stereo. Guess I will be looking for one with the Bose system
I do not want to do any engine mods, since I already did that with my IS300. I/H/E and Im tired of the exhaust, (actually my gf is). Even tho I love the sound of it, especially in a tunnel, but dont like how the MPG went down a little :(

I did go to a Caddy stealership last week to find an 08 or older STS. Didnt see one in the lot, but did see the 11 model. Was sharp and priced above what I want to pay. Now I am really picky with the color combo. It has to be either black or grey interior. No silver, black, white or red exterior. The salesman lol and said, thats 80% of caddy's out there. I lol back and said, this is why I am not in a hurry to buy one.

I have the info about what engine and options I am wanting. Now is the time to find her in my driveway hehehe

OFF topic...is there a thread in here that has pics of STS that are modded. I seen the one in the Sticky, but they're all stock looking :(

gwormald
12-10-12, 01:46 PM
I have a 2011 CTS AWD for sale. Has the vogue package, 20 inch wheels, rear entertainment, Bose, etc. loaded.

EChas3
12-10-12, 09:01 PM
Post belongs in CTS Classifieds section.

is3_ftw
12-11-12, 01:09 AM
I have a 2011 CTS AWD for sale. Has the vogue package, 20 inch wheels, rear entertainment, Bose, etc. loaded.

Nice car. Sadness its not an STS

Just like the other guy mentioned, post this car in the classifieds

is3_ftw
06-04-13, 01:57 PM
This is what my IS300 looked like in '09. Im hoping to do something similar with the STS, other than being yellow ;)

http://i25.tinypic.com/208d4z6.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/rw3z15.jpg

is3_ftw
06-05-13, 01:33 AM
I saw this 07 red STS N* with grey interior with 97k for $13k. Is the price to good to be true. Should I be worried that there might be engine problems?

EChas3
06-05-13, 08:05 PM
It's less likely than the V6. The 2005 & 6 have the best red in my eyes.

For that much & those miles, I'd expect all the toys & no flaws.

is3_ftw
08-29-13, 11:19 PM
I have not seen this car in person yet. what do you think about this one? honesty doesn't hurt ;)
http://doseu.com/search/cfa_V0313A/68606_1

Guy.Seminerio
08-30-13, 12:38 AM
Looks good nice color. Obviously there's the pinstripe on there. Not everybody is a pinstripe guy. V8 is a good thing. Some will disagree with me but id go 2007+ on the v8 for the 6 SPD's better fuel economy and acceleration. Overall, good looking car though. Also price is a little high I think.

atlrus
08-30-13, 11:11 AM
Damn, bro, a year later and you're still looking?!? I'd hate to be behind you in the grocery store when they ask "paper or plastic" :)

Go test drive one and see if you like it. Then do a 200 mile search on autotrader with your desired info and go buy one already. You've wasted a whole year NOT driving an STS :nono:

johng99
08-30-13, 02:01 PM
I'm new to Cadillacs as well, having purchased an '05 STS a little over a week ago. But I am not new to used cars, and have owned a bunch over the years. The first thing that I think of when I look at your ad link is the overall condition of the car - appearance, wear and tear, etc (assuming that you like the color). I am very pleased with the N* and think it is worth the small drop in mpg over the v6. The second thing I think of is the maintenance history. I don't balk at cars with some miles on them if they have been well maintained, and a complete set of service records is a must for me in an 8 year old car. In my case, my STS had been dealer serviced with clear records on what had been done from day one. I think this is critical for a car that you have no prior knowledge of. Oil changes on time? Coolant flushed at 5 years? etc. etc - if you don't know you have the potential for spending some big $$ down the road. I would pay more for a vehicle with good service records that is in good shape.
The third thing I would want to do is get a PPI. I am sure this can be done at your Cadillac dealer for $150 or so and may be the best $150 that you have ever spent. I would run from any used car dealer that would balk at letting you do this.
Good luck with your purchase!

atlrus
08-30-13, 03:07 PM
When I buy used cars I always budget the asking price +$1,000 and I tell the dealer I will pay his asking price minus $1,500. So if the car is advertised for $15K, I budget $16K and pay the dealer $14,500. No BSing about, take it or leave it. They always take it.
The extra $1K go right away for a set of good new tires, first thing I do after I leave the dealer. The $1.5K I beat the dealer down are budget for the repairs needed to bring the car to as perfect condition as possible in almost all scenarios. There is no such thing as perfect used car, there is always something wrong :) And you can do plenty o' repairing on the STS with $1,500 :)

is3_ftw
09-09-13, 07:47 PM
Looks good nice color. Obviously there's the pinstripe on there. Not everybody is a pinstripe guy. V8 is a good thing. Some will disagree with me but id go 2007+ on the v8 for the 6 SPD's better fuel economy and acceleration. Overall, good looking car though. Also price is a little high I think.
Im no pinstripe guy. The price is high, because the PNW(aka WA state) is over rated in taxes. we pay 10% on title transfers and 9.5% on sales tax(not car related).

Damn, bro, a year later and you're still looking?!? I'd hate to be behind you in the grocery store when they ask "paper or plastic" :)

Go test drive one and see if you like it. Then do a 200 mile search on autotrader with your desired info and go buy one already. You've wasted a whole year NOT driving an STS :nono:

haha. Paper or plastic is an easy decision. I know its been a long time since I have been searching for this model. Im not the type of guy that goes to a dealership and ask him, what car should I get and what can I afford. I go with my head up and tell them what I am looking for, in the color combo that I want. If they dont have it, or try to get me in a new car, or perhaps a different car. I just turn them down and walk to the next dealership. Yes, its a PITA, but I get what I want.

So, here is another tip that you dont know. I am not wanting Silver, Black or White. Which is the only major colors that cadillac seems to offer. This is also another Dilemma I seem to have :(

Bare with me, as I will own one of these soon enough

Guy.Seminerio
09-09-13, 09:04 PM
Good luck. They're out there.

atlrus
09-09-13, 09:26 PM
haha, let's hope you'll get one soon :o

I feel you on the color, I'm personally not too picky on the outside, but cannot stand ebony or any other dark interior.
Mine is blue (midnight blue or moon blue or something), pretty cool color, with gray interior.

1BadCadSTS
09-09-13, 10:23 PM
haha, let's hope you'll get one soon :o

I feel you on the color, I'm personally not too picky on the outside, but cannot stand ebony or any other dark interior.
Mine is blue (midnight blue or moon blue or something), pretty cool color, with gray interior.

You know the grey interior is ebony on top of the dash...

atlrus
09-10-13, 07:46 AM
You know the grey interior is ebony on top of the dash...

Yup, so is the instrument cluster :bigroll:

As long as the seats, doors, roof and floor are gray, it's fine in my book.

EChas3
09-14-13, 02:51 AM
Pillars and ceiling are grey on all interiors I think.