: I am looking for Track Day car input.

Silver Sled
10-21-12, 08:23 PM
Hello all,

I am looking for input from those that either race, or trackday your V's. I have a two 2011 V Coupes. My first was/is my daily driver (auto tranny). I did long tube headers on it, pulley, exhaust, heat exchanger, an 100 octane tune, eibach lowering springs and Forgeline wheels. Its about 720hp at the crank. I recently purchased a second 2011 V Coupe (manual tranny), that I intend on setting up for the track, full cage, suspension, upgraded coolers, fire supression, upgraded brakes, sway bars and bushings, wheels, exhaust, engine management and data loggging etc etc. I am looking for input from those who do track days consistently and who have input on issues they have run into with the car, or things that need to be addressed. Thanks all. The tear down starts next week, I'll post pics and updates. Should have it done sometime in December.

ekyub
10-21-12, 11:20 PM
2 Vs?! I'm envious. I'm interested to hear the replies too.

baabootoo
10-22-12, 12:54 AM
I track mine a lot, but haven't done much to it. For all out racing, just contact D3 since they have cars set up like that already.

hlantin
10-22-12, 12:23 PM
OP, you are one lucky person to have 2 Vs. Congrats! These cars are fun to track. They are more than capable on smaller tracks, but are amazing on big tracks where there is a good stretch. During the Cad Challenge, there's normally a group of folks that come and visit to see what these cars are about.

D3 setup my car for track. I've got D3 comp springs, sway bars, oil cooler, diff cooler, slotted rotors, porterfield brakes, headers, h/e, dual mapping, RE-11s, and a few others. At this setup, haven't really had any issues (knock on wood) during track days. After every session, all I do is park it, open hood, fill meth tank, and chk tire pressure.

Give those guys @ D3 a call. Ask for Ro or Greg.

Greg_D3
10-22-12, 03:10 PM
Silver Sled,

We can defiantly assist you in outfitting your v for track use. Feel free to give me a call for shoot me a email and i will be more than happy to go over all your options with you.

Here are a few cars we have done.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vcx3li.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zzq6aq.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/33mq6ox.jpg

Thank You
Greg Eremian | Sales Representative
greg@d3rd.com

The D3 Group
1787 E. 28th St.
Signal Hill, CA 907555

Tel: 562-595-8518 | Fax: 562-595-8519

Rule12b
10-22-12, 03:47 PM
If you are setting it up for track use (and mine is almost exclusively a track car) I would upgrade as follows:

1. Coilovers and sways
2. Diff cooler
3. Power mods to taste (for me, that was a pulley,injector, H/E upgrade, tune (91 and 100 octane), intake, headers, exhaust, snout and blower port and polish)
4. Slot your stock rotors and use porterfield pads
5. Racing harness (I use D3's set up and am very satisfied with it).
6. Inexpensive track wheels and R1's or R-888's or some other solid track tire.

Depending on your climate, a radiator upgrade is a good move and one of the remaining pieces of the puzzle for me. All of my work has been done at D3 and I've been extremely satisfied. You do get what you pay for in my opinion.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Rule12b/May-06-2012-SpeedVentures4-Black1020amCP4_5347.jpg

Silver Sled
10-23-12, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys, below is what I have on the docket. Car Goes into the shop on Monday (Sorry D3 I already have a shop on the project). Based on the input, sounds like I have most of the issues covered.

-Motion Control 2 way adjustable coilover set
-D3 underbody chassis brace
-6 point roll cage, harness bar, gussets,
-Brembo GT Front 16"/6 piston Rear 14"/4 piston brake kits
-Whiteline rear lower control arm inner bushing set
-Whiteline rear upper control arm bushing inner set
-Whiteline rear upper control arm outer bushing set
-Whiteline rear crossmember mount bushing set
-Whiteline rear radius arm upper inner bushing kit
-Whiteline rear radius arm upper outer bushing kit
-Whiteline rear toe link inner bushing kit
-D3 Competition front and rear sway bar package
-D3 Competition aluminum radiator
-Kooks stainless headers 1 7/8" primarys
-Dual 3" stainless side exit exhaust w/ race mufflers, resonaters & Vbands
-D3 upgraded heat exchanger and intercooler pump
-Lingenfelder 630hp/630tq kit.
-Devils Own methanol injection system w/2.25gal race tank
-Aluminum fuel cell with stainless hardline plumbing and 044 fuel pumps.
-Canepa Widebody flares, sides and valences
-AIM MXL cluster with Evo4 data logger, sensor and thermocouple hubs, oil temp,
oil pressure, differential temp, transmission temp, Bank 1 & 2 Wideband & EGT
sending units
-transmission cooler system with hard/braided lines and Setrab cooler.
-differential cooler system with hard/braided lines and Setrab cooler
-Jongbloed Racing Wheels 19X10 & 19X12
-Hoosier R6 265/35R19 and 345/30R19 Tires
-Emco 6 Speed sequential transmission
-Mcleod twin disc clutch with aluminum flywheel
-Sparco Pro ADV Seat carbon
-Sparco Evo 2 Seat
-Schroth Profi 2-6 Hans
-SPA 6 nozzle mechanical fire system with alloy bottle
-Aeromotions R2.Two active carbon fiber rear wing
-VIS CTS-v coupe carbon fiber hood
-Aerocatch locking hood pin set[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

ekyub
10-23-12, 11:51 PM
How is diff cooler clearance? It seems really low.

OldRoadDawg
10-24-12, 10:47 AM
From your lengthy and very costly list of upgrades I am surprised that you are not going through the engine with a forged lower end parts or even the 427 route - versus Lingenfelter's first level of three upgrade packages. (??)

Emco sequential tranny, Brembo brake pkg, Jongbloed wheels, fuel cell, etc = a serious track car with the requisite deep pockets.

thebigjimsho
10-24-12, 01:37 PM
Yeah, not many here have gone that extreme.

I just have Kooks headers, LPE CAI and pulley and a tune. Absolutely no need for a bigger, less efficient heat exchanger. I also have cheap and light TSW track wheels with Hankook slicks and Hawk DTC-70 track pads.

The only thing I'd add is a diff cooler...

extrabolts
10-24-12, 01:49 PM
Your list looks pretty good, but I agree that you may want to consider more power. You can run a 9.1 / 2.55 pulley setup and grab an extra 75whp over your current setup. You won't have any issues with heat since you are already doing a heat exchanger, pump, and most importantly meth. All you need is the lower harmonic balancer, a metco 50mm idler, and a lower 9.1 pulley to go with your upper pulley plus injectors. Get the gates green HD belt. Don't ask Lingenfelter about this because they are going to tell you that they have an idler relocation bracket in development that it needs more time to complete. You don't need it, just going with the smaller lower idler from metco will give the larger lower pulley plenty of clearance (I run that setup).

The rest of your modifications will make you competitive in the top classes, where other cars may be pushing 650+whp through a lighter chassis. Having a car pull away on straights is not something you'd think would happen but you'll quickly be running with gutted ZR1s etc.

Dr. Design
10-24-12, 05:29 PM
That might not be the best idea on a road race car. That pulley combo will put a max duty cycle on the blower and all subsequent parts. On extended run periods that combination will have a hard time keeping up with the power demands expected as a result of that boost level. If this was a straight line car or a drag car, most people would give caution to the wind and turn the boost all the way up. The EMCO trans also has a max power limit as well. Not sure that the OP is next to that ceiling, but it is something that would need to be considered if drastically increasing the HP.

Either way sounds like a cool build. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

To the OP, any word on where you are going to race this?

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Your list looks pretty good, but I agree that you may want to consider more power. You can run a 9.1 / 2.55 pulley setup and grab an extra 75whp over your current setup. You won't have any issues with heat since you are already doing a heat exchanger, pump, and most importantly meth. All you need is the lower harmonic balancer, a metco 50mm idler, and a lower 9.1 pulley to go with your upper pulley plus injectors. Get the gates green HD belt. Don't ask Lingenfelter about this because they are going to tell you that they have an idler relocation bracket in development that it needs more time to complete. You don't need it, just going with the smaller lower idler from metco will give the larger lower pulley plenty of clearance (I run that setup).

The rest of your modifications will make you competitive in the top classes, where other cars may be pushing 650+whp through a lighter chassis. Having a car pull away on straights is not something you'd think would happen but you'll quickly be running with gutted ZR1s etc.

Silver Sled
10-24-12, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I am coming out of club roadracing motorcycles, and have not spent much time on the track on four wheels. I am not going to add a lot of power right now because the car has plenty of power to work with out of the box, and I have a lot to learn about four wheeled trackday/racing. D3, to answer your question, Arizona, Chuckwalla events, probably Miller, Willow.

Silver Sled
03-06-13, 11:09 PM
Well, project Mongo is coming along nicely, still waiting on the transmission from the Ausie's. But everything else is in. Here are some updates on the build.

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/company/blog/big-cts-v-project-mongo-update-completion-cage-our-sights

Rule12b
03-09-13, 12:56 PM
Well, project Mongo is coming along nicely, still waiting on the transmission from the Ausie's. But everything else is in. Here are some updates on the build.

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/company/blog/big-cts-v-project-mongo-update-completion-cage-our-sights

When it's ready you have GOT to join us at a Cadillac Challenge race. I'm looking forward to seeing your completed project (and mine). That braking kit you listed is no joke by the way.

the blur
03-10-13, 04:02 AM
Jongbloed Racing Wheels 19X10 & 19X12
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Do those wheels / tire combination fit on a stock sedan?
I'm looking to track my 2009 all stock, with just R-tires, and brake pads.
Are they the stock diameter ?

Rule12b
03-10-13, 11:07 PM
Jongbloed Racing Wheels 19X10 & 19X12
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Do those wheels / tire combination fit on a stock sedan?
I'm looking to track my 2009 all stock, with just R-tires, and brake pads.
Are they the stock diameter ?

I am not an expert to be sure. But I can't see anyway you will fit a 345 rear on a stock sedan. Unless you are okay with running way out of the fenders, then rubbiing may well be the problem. Others with more/better experience may chime in, but I just can't see that working.

thebigjimsho
03-10-13, 11:50 PM
No way 345s fit on a sedan. 305, tops.

Rule12b
03-11-13, 02:41 PM
No way 345s fit on a sedan. 305, tops. Well, there is one way. . .stay tuned for about another week or so. . .;-)

thebigjimsho
03-11-13, 02:44 PM
Eh, I'd rather have a car that handles well than one that looks ridiculous. I don't see how any tire wider than 305 will ever help...

Rule12b
03-11-13, 03:17 PM
Eh, I'd rather have a car that handles well than one that looks ridiculous. I don't see how any tire wider than 305 will ever help...

I might have agreed with you until I got schooled by a slew of cars at the Optima Invitational running 305's at all for corners, or alternatively, 345's and 315's staggered. Big rubber simply helps a car that already handles well. Come on now. Besides, I'm not a "looks ridiculous" fan, I'm a performance-oriented fan. Have some faith. . .:-)

thebigjimsho
03-11-13, 03:48 PM
You sure that was tires?

Rule12b
03-11-13, 05:26 PM
You sure that was tires?

hahahaha, well that's fair :-) However, pushing a 4400 lb car around a road course, I think, is generally aided by bigger slicks, period.

thebigjimsho
03-11-13, 05:53 PM
Comma Question Mark

Silver Sled
03-11-13, 09:57 PM
The car is down to 3300lbs. And those tires and wheels fit because of the widebody kit.....

Rule12b
03-11-13, 10:05 PM
The car is down to 3300lbs. And those tires and wheels fit because of the widebody kit.....

3300lbs?! How did they manage to do that?!

Silver Sled
03-11-13, 10:50 PM
Pulled out every non essential component on the car.

Rule12b
03-11-13, 11:44 PM
Pulled out every non essential component on the car. Sunroof, seats and interior (headliner, door trims) are out, dash preserved for SCCA, CF hood, but by the time the full cage is in, it's all probably a weight savings wash. I'd really be curious to see what more can be done. AND a widebody adds weight too, albeit not much if done well.

mackey
03-12-13, 01:35 PM
i am coming out of club roadracing motorcycles.
wera, ccs, wsmc?

Silver Sled
03-13-13, 02:28 PM
Heater cores, airbag, all seats, stock wheels, exhaust system, all non essential wiring looms, dash and entire superstructure behind it. All gone. Plan is to add 300lbs back, so car should come in at 3600. We will see, she went on the scale at the start, and she will go back on the scale once complete, I'll keep you posted.

Sunroof, seats and interior (headliner, door trims) are out, dash preserved for SCCA, CF hood, but by the time the full cage is in, it's all probably a weight savings wash. I'd really be curious to see what more can be done. AND a widebody adds weight too, albeit not much if done well.

Rule12b
03-13-13, 02:46 PM
Heater cores, airbag, all seats, stock wheels, exhaust system, all non essential wiring looms, dash and entire superstructure behind it. All gone. Plan is to add 300lbs back, so car should come in at 3600. We will see, she went on the scale at the start, and she will go back on the scale once complete, I'll keep you posted.

Cool, we can compare and contrast! I look forward to seeing it done!

cruiser68
03-13-13, 07:18 PM
Yes, please keep us posted! I thinking about converting mine to track only after I drive her for a couple more years. My fabricator tells me a full chromoly roll cage would add little weight. My only complaint tracking the V is weight.