: Ordering and incentives

neuronbob
10-21-12, 08:35 AM
I think I'm just going to order a 6MT Vagon to get exactly what I want:

OB/ebony or TG/ebony with satin graphite wheels, yellow calipers, and Recaros.

Current plan is to wait until better incentives are available, which occur around the holidays. Since I'm daily driving this car, I don't care about winter delivery, I'm all set with snow tires/wheels to do a direct swap upon delivery. :)

In any case, do incentives at the time of order count, or time of delivery? In other words, since it takes about five weeks from order to delivery, if I order at the beginning of November, do I get whatever incentives are available at the time of delivery in December, or those available at the time of order in November? I don't mind waiting even though there is a 0.9% interest special going on right now.

Haven't tried to time ordering like this, so thanks for any answers.

larry arizona
10-21-12, 08:44 AM
I am pretty sure its time of delivery. I have ordered a few cars and that is how it always worked for me......

----------

BTW LOVE the OB/ebony/graphite rims....... Just don't like the nanner calipers.

pat2t2f
10-21-12, 09:46 AM
You have good taste neuron. I just got my TG with graphite wheels 6m wagon. It's incentives at time of delivery. Just to be sure I had my salesman write that in the order form so there was no question about it.

neuronbob
10-21-12, 09:47 AM
Thanks again for your help, Larry, and for yours, pat. If I can get a deal for just above the invoice price of just under $67k for the OB combo I mentioned above, I'll be happy. (Unless I find a supplier discount...)

I now wish I'd gotten one of those GM credit cards to save a little more on the price. I made the mistake of assuming this would be the only American car/Cadillac/V8-engined car I would buy before running back to Honda. Guess I was wrong and I am proud to again say I will be keeping some Americans employed!

BTW, the picture of that widebody OB wagon is what got me interested in the color, and TG is a close second. The calipers are to give just a spash of color in the wheel well.

TXAG2004
10-21-12, 10:57 AM
OB/ebony/graphite/6m/sunroof delete is the way to go. (Pics in my profile) Ordering is the way to do it. Haggle with your dealer...I told them what I'd pay and got what I wanted on my 3rd visit - under invoice. Incentives at time of delivery for me. PM me if you want more info/pics.

neuronbob
10-21-12, 03:42 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll go in to the dealer during the last week of this month and order. Doing that, delivery should take place in early December assuming no unexpected factory breaks. By then, the end-of-the-year incentives should be in full swing.

That means shortly after, my V sedan will be up for sale.

ekyub
10-21-12, 03:46 PM
Best deal I've gotten was ~1000 over invoice (according to Edmunds) so it's just over 65K for a TG wagon with no options.

pat2t2f
10-21-12, 04:52 PM
I was able to get $500 over invoice plus $2,000 rebate for owning a non GM car which brought me down to $1.500 below invoice and .9% financing for 36 months

neuronbob
10-21-12, 07:55 PM
Thanks again. So it looks like somewhere around invoice is realistic to offer. Very helpful and that will save a few bucks as well.

dennych
10-22-12, 04:33 AM
I was able to get $500 over invoice plus $2,000 rebate for owning a non GM car which brought me down to $1.500 below invoice and .9% financing for 36 months

Hmm, they let you stack that many discounts on a special order? Pretty nice. I thought special orders didn't really get incentives since there is no depreciating asset for them to worry about.

pat2t2f
10-22-12, 06:39 AM
The incentives are based on buying a vehicle. I don't think they can legally disallow incentives because you ordered a vehicle instead of buying one directly off the lot

larry arizona
10-22-12, 12:01 PM
depends if they are OEM incentives or dealer incentives. OEM incentives do not matter if you order or take off lot. Dealer incentives can depend on what the dealer feels like doing.

McGuffy
10-22-12, 12:09 PM
And remember that OEM incentives are not part of whatever discount you negotiate with the dealer - take any OEM incentives off of the invoice price to get the dealer's true cost. The manufacturer eats those.

Dealer incentives are usually for moving in stock inventory, those can be tougher to negotiate when ordering a vehicle.

neuronbob
10-22-12, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

So when I walk into the dealer, when negotiations on price are done, I simply ask for GM incentives at the time of delivery to be written into the deal. That doesn't sound so hard. The worst they can do is laugh at me, and then I walk and they lose business. :)

McGuffy
10-22-12, 01:42 PM
When I buy, I go in with a brief spreadsheet - Dealer Invoice, Factory Incentives, Dealer Incentives, Holdbacks, etc. showing their actual (approx) cost of the car. Keep in mind that certain fees (like regional advertising, and delivery fees if you're ordering special) are legitimate. I've offered $500 over that figure and have done pretty well with that approach over the years (depends on the demand on the particular car in a particular market). It definitely pays to do your homework.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-23-12, 08:29 AM
Neuronbob, feel free to send me a direct message if you'd like assistance at any point! I'm always happy to call the dealer for you, or track your order once it's placed, etc. So happy you're considering the 6MT Vagon, and it's great to see you've been getting such helpful opinions on your incentive questions so far. I hope you'll keep us all up-to-date on your progress!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

CoppeR
10-23-12, 01:19 PM
The worst they can do is laugh at me, and then I walk and they lose business. :)

Plus if they wont budge after the car has arrived, thats another V on the lot they have to pay insurance on and try to sell.

dennych
10-23-12, 09:35 PM
what annoys me the most is when they bust out their stupid squares and try to use monthly payments as a reason to buy the car.... Hate dealerships so much. Thank goodness for online/phone competitive bidding.

McGuffy
10-24-12, 09:31 AM
what annoys me the most is when they bust out their stupid squares and try to use monthly payments as a reason to buy the car.... Hate dealerships so much. Thank goodness for online/phone competitive bidding.

Yep, the "Well if that's the best you can do, I'm going to talk to dealership B before I make my decision" works like a charm.

neuronbob
10-25-12, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the help. The best offer so far on a car that must be ordered, from any dealer, is about $900-$1k above invoice. I got this without really fighting. I will probably take it, given that Cadillac generally has decent incentives in December (and maybe a return of 0% interest?) and I will likely pay less upon delivery. Without asking, I was told by my servicing dealer that they automatically add incentives at delivery. This assumes I order now and there's a 6-week wait...which takes us into December for delivery.

I admit I'd have more leverage on a car that was actually on the lot. Still, $4k (5%) less than MSRP is not that bad, and better than I expected.

BTW, while they were building a car with my options, I asked if there were any parts on constraint. The only thing on constraint as of this week is red calipers. Just in case you want some....

pat2t2f
10-26-12, 07:26 AM
Like I said earlier, I payed $500 above invoice. When you are paying nearly $70,000 an extra $500 doesnt make much difference. My dealer wanted about $2,000 above invoice at first. I told him if he came down to invoice I would buy the car immediately. That's when he came down to $500 above and I signed.

Purple87SS
10-26-12, 08:51 AM
So when ordering don't they require a deposit? I'm guessing you ensure its a "refundable", if you walk on the deal/car being built?

pat2t2f
10-26-12, 03:22 PM
You do leave a deposit that is not refundable. You get the best deal you can that you are happy with and hope the deal gets better with incentives or financing. If it doesn't you take the deal you originally negotiated

thebigjimsho
10-26-12, 08:44 PM
You do leave a deposit that is not refundable. You get the best deal you can that you are happy with and hope the deal gets better with incentives or financing. If it doesn't you take the deal you originally negotiated

Not so. That is dealer dependent...

neuronbob
10-26-12, 09:03 PM
The dealer I am using requires a nonrefundable deposit. That's OK, I don't intend to back out once I order.

pat2t2f
10-27-12, 08:32 AM
I have bought a few new cars and all my deposits were not refundable. Why would the salesperson want to risk losing the sale and why would the dealership want to risk having an extra car on the lot that they have to pay the manufacturer for because some fickle customer changed his/her mind?

thebigjimsho
10-27-12, 08:45 AM
Because I bought my '04 V early in '04. My "options" list was nice and the car was hot. My deposit was fully refundable...

pat2t2f
10-27-12, 09:25 AM
That certainly is not the norm.

dennych
10-27-12, 02:13 PM
That certainly is not the norm.

I'd have to agree with that. Why would a dealer risk having another depreciating asset sitting on their lot if a buyer backs out.

I wonder if you can negotiate a special order from the profit angle for them. Since they won't need to take a direct loan on the car to have it sit on the lot you would think they would be willing to negotiate somewhat.

neuronbob
10-27-12, 02:28 PM
Everything is negotiable. However, I suppose that when you order, one doesn't have as much leverage as if there were a depreciating asset that's been on the lot for months, that they've had to take out a loan on and pay insurance on. Those costs give much more momentum toward allowing an aggressive deal than an ordered car, for which they have none of those costs.

That said, I'm happy with the deal I've been offered and will probably sign on the dotted line early in the week. Given that 0% interest will probably be back at the time of delivery, or at the worst, 0.9%, the cost to finance the small amount I intend to will be minimal and will more than make up for my not negotiating a rock bottom, invoice+$0, deal.

dennych
10-27-12, 02:34 PM
Given that 0% interest will probably be back at the time of delivery, or at the worst, 0.9%

Awww yeah, Ally bank (Formerly GMAC) bailout money... lol
I love cracking jokes with my friends about how ridiculous it is. But it's there so you take it :)

houstonTT
10-27-12, 07:56 PM
I just bought my first V today...2012 white...MSRP was $73,500 and I paid $63,000. There are deals to be had if you are patient.
Peter

neuronbob
10-27-12, 09:20 PM
Congrats on your V and welcome to the forum!

There are a few 2012 6AT V wagons left and I'm sure I could get a deal on those....but I'm only interested in a 6MT wagon, very few of those exist anywhere, and none in my preferred configuration. Therefore have to order a 2013, for which no dealer will offer $10k off MSRP.

dennych
10-28-12, 12:29 AM
I just bought my first V today...2012 white...MSRP was $73,500 and I paid $63,000. There are deals to be had if you are patient.
Peter

wagon, sedan, coupe?

houstonTT
10-28-12, 09:44 AM
2012 sedan, white pearl tricoat, recaro, nav, etc...

wagon, sedan, coupe?

neuronbob
11-01-12, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I just got back from the dealer a little bit ago, having made my order and leaving a deposit for an OB/ebony 6MT V wagon with the options listed in my first post. The order goes into the system tomorrow, and I am told that it will take a week or two (or less) to get an order number. They indicate that since my order is a "sold" order, it will be prioritized in their allocation for the month. We'll see.

The long wait begins! :)

blacaddy
11-02-12, 09:22 AM
Neuronbob....Congratulations!!!! I am glad you pulled the trigger on your new 'V'....Life is so short we should enjoy it as much as possible!

neuronbob
11-02-12, 10:46 AM
Thanks. Order # received 10 minutes ago. Now I have something to track over the next few weeks. Woot!

dennych
11-02-12, 11:16 AM
nice!

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-03-12, 01:21 PM
Thanks. Order # received 10 minutes ago. Now I have something to track over the next few weeks. Woot!

Wonderful! PM me anytime with your order number if you'd like me to check on its status.

Congrats again, neuronbob!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service