: Pitman Arm

the blur
10-21-12, 09:16 AM
Has anyone done a Pitman Arm in their driveway ?

Looks like a job that needs to be done on a lift.

rokkit0
10-21-12, 10:12 AM
I looked at it also. I replaced the idler arm and ends but when I tried to get the Pittman arm out, I could not figure out how to do it laying under the suv. I think it will need a big puller but I don't see how to make it fit. I just swapped the transfer case in the drive on jack stands. I do have a little time under trucks.

wesyder
10-21-12, 04:24 PM
I looked at it also. I replaced the idler arm and ends but when I tried to get the Pittman arm out, I could not figure out how to do it laying under the suv. I think it will need a big puller but I don't see how to make it fit. I just swapped the transfer case in the drive on jack stands. I do have a little time under trucks.

There are pitman arm pullers, you could probably rent it from the local auto parts store

rideevo
10-21-12, 06:04 PM
i just did mine in driveway rented puller from advanced auto ...had to loosen stearing box bolts (3) to get puller in. took about a hour

the blur
10-21-12, 06:40 PM
i just did mine in driveway rented puller from advanced auto ...had to loosen stearing box bolts (3) to get puller in. took about a hour

Are you serious??? you removed the intermediate shaft, the steering box, the center link, and the pitman arm, and put it back together in an hour ???? While guys on the chevy tahoe site says this is an all day nightmare job.

jnrsesv
10-21-12, 09:44 PM
Are you serious??? you removed the intermediate shaft, the steering box, the center link, and the pitman arm, and put it back together in an hour ????

I have to switch out our pitman and idler arms as well (the boots are torn but no play in the arms themselves). I hit youtube and there a few DIYers that did the job on their backs as well. From their "tube" vids it took them about an hour as well.

the blur
10-22-12, 08:48 AM
I couldn't find an 03 video. Only the older trucks.

rideevo
10-23-12, 05:47 PM
i rented a puller from auto parts store, if you loosen the steering box 3 bolts but only remove the bottom and rear bolt you can pivot the steering box enough to fit puller in there. once the pitman arm is loose. hold the steering box remove top bolt and lift to clear pitman arm. put new one in place reinstall top bolt .so you don’t have to hold steering box any longer than you need to. install the 2 nuts holding pitman arm in place then install the other 2 steering box bolts and tighten all 3 bolts you don't need to remove the steering box!!!!

jnrsesv
10-23-12, 10:51 PM
rideevo thanks for the tip!

Did you replace the idler arm as well?

Sentinelist
10-24-12, 03:15 AM
Newb question, that may contribute for posterity in this thread as searchable going forward... what do the Pitman and idler arms do? I'm familiar with control arms, but...

mikedyk43
10-24-12, 10:34 AM
Pitman and idler arms are the pivoting arms that are connected to the steering linkages. The pitman arm is driven directly by the steering wheel and the idler arm is mounted on the passenger side and is just for increased steering stability.

rideevo
10-25-12, 07:34 PM
YES i did the idler arm about 1 week earlier also very easy job

rideevo thanks for the tip!

Did you replace the idler arm as well?

steppdaddy
08-22-13, 03:38 PM
I have to replace my pitman arm. When checking for parts looks like two different parts are used one with 3 splines and one with 4 splines. How do you know what you have before taking it apart?
When I start the job I would like to finish it the same day.
Thanks for any help wih this

Paul

the blur
08-23-13, 08:11 PM
I have a new MOOG pitman arm for sale. I brought a 3 spline, and needed a 4, and got stuck with the wrong one. It's a high quality MOOG, NIB. I can give you the part #, and the rock auto link. Rock auto would not take it back after 30 days, so I got stuck.

mikedyk43
08-26-13, 12:27 AM
I have to replace my pitman arm. When checking for parts looks like two different parts are used one with 3 splines and one with 4 splines. How do you know what you have before taking it apart?
When I start the job I would like to finish it the same day.
Thanks for any help wih this

Paul

Noone I spoke with before doing mine could give me an answer other than "you won't know until you take it off". I have an 06 and guessed correctly with the 4-spline. If you are buying through a local parts store (Oreilly's), just buy both and return the unused one.

icaddy
08-26-13, 10:34 PM
To replace a pitman arm is pain DIY work. I replaced my steering gear box recently and removed steering gear box and pitman together, but could not separate pitman arm from steering box so ended up with sending the core back to rockauto.com together with pitman arm lol

65kaiser
08-28-13, 08:03 PM
Did you use a puller?