: STS sat for 3 weeks now Misfiring

derodge
10-21-12, 12:51 AM
I can't even see how it could be possible, but my car sat for about 3 weeks the battery went dead. Got a new battery, and when I first started the car everything was fine. Then after about 5 mins. the car started idling rough, engine light came on with multiple codes. The engine light is solid and the car seems to run fine when accelerating , but the car idles rough. It showed multiple codes when I took it to Autozone random misfire on 2 and 6, also says something about camshaft positioning. The car ran fine before it sat for 3 weeks , oil was a little low so I added a quart. Could it be possible that spark plugs or ignition coils go bad like that. or is there something with the timing or computer?

DdoubleE
10-21-12, 09:56 AM
When I bought my 06, it sat for about a month. It drove wonderful in the beginning and then it start doing the same thing as yours. Took it back to the dealer and they had to change my computer out along with my thermostat.

derodge
10-21-12, 11:45 AM
Wow computer! I have an 07 V6 out of warranty. I wonder how much that would cost?

DdoubleE
10-21-12, 02:55 PM
Lucky for me it happen within the dealers 30 day warranty so I saw no cost at all

EChas3
10-21-12, 07:25 PM
If a battery isn't in good shape, the STS may drain it in that time. A good battery shouldn't discharge in that amount of time.

Check your oil and top-off if necessary. Low oil will cause both N* & V6 to run poorly due to VVT.

derodge
10-21-12, 10:33 PM
Yeah, that was the second thing I did after I bought a new battery (oil level is full now). Now I can say that about a 3 months ago. I got a camshaft position sensor error with engine light, but then the light went off. Could it be the sensor, is it worth a try before taking it in. Where is it and are there more than one?

Subsailor613
10-22-12, 05:38 PM
You can try this: Add a fuel conditioner to the fuel tank that absorbs water.
This cost is SO LOW, that it's worth trying. You have to run the engine as good
as you can to get that fuel up to the injectors, which MAY also clean the injectors.
If it's CODING camshaft positioning, I would believe your worst code "FIRST" !
Good Luck ! :cool::cool:

EChas3
10-22-12, 09:01 PM
Techron is better.

curtc
10-22-12, 09:37 PM
Techron is better.

+1! My N* gets a drink of Techron every 1k or so...

Subsailor613
10-23-12, 01:38 PM
Who Makes "TECHRON" and is it a water inhibitor ?
Thanks

curtc
10-23-12, 05:44 PM
Who Makes "TECHRON" and is it a water inhibitor ?
Thanks

Chevron, don't know about the water part.

KRSTS
10-23-12, 05:52 PM
Techron is the same additive package that Chevron puts in their gasoline which is rated "top tier" Keeps the fuel system and engine top end clean

EChas3
10-23-12, 10:41 PM
Yep, Chevon owns the trademark but all Top Tier fuels use it. Injectors stay clean but direct injection limits it's abilty to clean intake valves. I wonder if we will see DI engines have more valve deposits?

Techron is climbing over $10 per treatment (8 oz?) but it's a lot more effective than dry-gas aka Heat, etc. That's just more crappy ethanol.

curtc
10-24-12, 12:33 AM
Techron is climbing over $10 per treatment (8 oz?) but it's a lot more effective than dry-gas aka Heat, etc. That's just more crappy ethanol.

You can often find 2 for 1 deals at Advance on Techron...

I use the only "real" gas station in town where I live, right across the street...no ethanol :)

http://pure-gas.org/

B1n2fra
10-24-12, 10:33 AM
My northstar did this when the vacuum hose in the back slightly fell off. Idled like sh+t but drove fine. Also the brake pedal felt as if the car was off. This particular hose connects to the brake booster also.

derodge
10-26-12, 12:23 AM
Well, something is happening because the DIC info shows mpg at 10.6 miles per. I checked hoses, air intake, oil levels, plus I just ran Techron through it about 500 miles ago. I also noticed power loss. however, the engine light stays solid even if I floor it. But, the camshaft positioning sensor code and engine light have been coming and going for about 3 months. So what I want to do first is change the camshaft positioning sensor. I have seen sites indicating that there are four? if so they all can't be bad and where are they? and if bank 2 and 6 are misfiring which camshaft sensor controls these banks. Without more info, I just feel that the dealer could take me for almost anything they want.