: Sat in my first DeLorean today

truckinman
10-20-12, 09:35 PM
My better half and I went to a pumpkin festival today. There was a fellow with his 82 DeLorean there letting everybody sit in it for the heck of it. Only had 4500 original miles! Beautiful example of an all original DMC. Even the leather looked brand new.

But I had to bite my tongue about something he said. He told me in third gear it tops out at 117 mph and has a top speed of 147. Really? Lol. If it can then someone in here, humor me. But I'm pretty sure I read that it won't even reach the 88 mph that it had to in the infamous back to the future.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-20-12, 09:42 PM
the car that was ran to 80 something was most likely a very tired DMC....i remeber that story

the PRV v6 wasnt THAT low on power ....the problem was it hardly ever ran right , it would run a volvo 780 (very pretty car) well into the triple digits, and it had the aero propertys of a ...well.....brick

but a good day for you no matter how you slice it ....such interesting cars

orconn
10-20-12, 09:44 PM
I keep hearing this 88 mph top speed figure for the Deloreans of the early '80's. I don't know where that figure came from. Road and Track got a top speed of 109 mph and a zero to 60 mph time of 10.5, not great but better than a lot of the competition in the early eighties. I don't believe the DMC 12 was ever designed to be a "sports car" and certainly not an "exotic." But was designed to appeal to those who had surplus cash lying around and wanted to impress the guys at their local watering whole. Sort of minor "Las Vegas" swank, not a serious performance car .... kind of like the two seat Thunderbirds and Mercedes SLK's ..... something different for "ladies that lunch" to drive!

truckinman
10-20-12, 10:03 PM
I mean I was impressed with it none the less. I love seeing cars that old in such great, original condition. But if I were him, I wouldn't be letting EVERYBODY and their brother sit in it. That leather will get worn out in no time. It looks brand new now. His goal is to get 2000 people to sit in it, that way he can put it in the set some kinda record. But 2000 people getting in and out of it? Kicking the dash. Rubbing the leather? Just to much wear and tear to quick on such a beautiful example of that car

Ranger
10-20-12, 10:09 PM
His goal is to get 2000 people to sit in it, that way he can put it in the set some kinda record.
How was he documenting this? or was he?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-20-12, 10:15 PM
I sat in a Delorean once, about 3-4 years ago. It was living a childhood dream.

I always thought DeLorean's logo & wheels were so neat.

http://www.cartype.com/pics/3368/small/dmc_logo.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/exoticcars/1/0/t/B/-/-/DeLorean-Wheel.JPG

It's just so.......'80's.....

greencadillacmatt
10-20-12, 10:16 PM
I don't think I'd fit in a DeLorean. Well, maybe up to my shoulders...

77CDV
10-20-12, 10:24 PM
I don't think I'd fit in a DeLorean. Well, maybe up to my shoulders...

If you fit in the Cavalier, you'll fit in the DeLorean. Just remember to recline the seat waaaaaaaayyyyyyy back...... :lol:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-20-12, 10:31 PM
I fit in it quite well.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Porkys/IMG_4012.jpg

greencadillacmatt
10-20-12, 10:34 PM
If you fit in the Cavalier, you'll fit in the DeLorean. Just remember to recline the seat waaaaaaaayyyyyyy back...... :lol:

Haha, the difference was, I didn't have to lean the seat back AT ALL in the Cavalier. :thumbsup:

I'd still love to own (or even just sit in) a DeLorean some day though.

truckinman
10-20-12, 10:54 PM
How was he documenting this? or was he?

He really wasn't. He said he was going to start taking like dollar donations to sit in it. But he hadn't yet

Stoneage_Caddy
10-20-12, 11:23 PM
well the delorean wasnt supposed to get the PRV v6 , first it was supposed to be powered by a wankel rotary , then it was some sort of GM v8 (i think the FWD toronado drivetrain) ,then a ford, but GM hated him with a passion , ford wouldn't go near him , and the money wasnt there to do the rotary. there is even talk of a detuned cosworth dfv going in
He then got stuck with the transaxel that it got and lotus had already done all the work , its frame is very close to a lotus esprit , and the transaxel selected by lotus would only work with the renault 4cyl or the V6 from the renault alpine , so it ended up with the entire drive train from the alpine a310.
donor car:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Alpine

side note , the DMC was designed to fit john deloriean , which stood over 6 feet tall

truckinman
10-20-12, 11:33 PM
side note , the DMC was designed to fit john deloriean , which stood over 6 feet tall

makes sense. It felt like I was sitting in a go-cart as low as I was and as long as I had to stretch to reach the pedals. Lol. I liked it tho.

talismandave
10-21-12, 12:03 AM
I liked them at the time because they were different, I love them now because they are different and totally retro cool!

orconn
10-21-12, 01:39 AM
DeLorean had good taste in women and in car designers .... Giugiaro!

The-Dullahan
10-22-12, 02:00 AM
it had the aero propertys of a ...well.....brick

See, I can't stand to hear this excuse. My Cadillac is definitely more brick-like and I have outraced a DeLorean owned by a local and I did it with relative ease. Also, let's be realistic, I have to have one of the slowest Cadillacs in here. Brick-shaped, extra heavy, laden with a MINIMUM of several hundred extra pounds of God-Knows-What, just because I can and powered by a stock Oldsmobile 307, which is hardly an engine known for performance...yet still made easy work of the DeLorean (Though he definitely took me in acceleration, but again to be realistic, even a Bicyclist could do that.)

Nine times out of Ten, when someone mentions aerodynamics, it is some sort of excuse. "Oh, you only beat my Honda, Dog, because like...there was like, a head wind, yo."

For the record, my Father's Chevrolet shared the qualities of being large, heavy and brick-shaped with my Cadillac. Never had a problem beating anything at the track.

Meanwhile, Corvettes are aerodynamic, yet seldom have I ever seen one hit over 50 on a public road or interstate.

CadillacLuke24
10-22-12, 02:50 AM
Meanwhile, Corvettes are aerodynamic, yet seldom have I ever seen one hit over 50 on a public road or interstate.

Well, yeah, but that's because the median age of a Corvette owner these days is over 50. :hitstick:

truckinman
10-22-12, 04:43 AM
My buddies dad drives his C5 Vette like he stole it. Lol. He'll race any body any time. Lol.

Aron9000
10-22-12, 06:09 AM
I heard DeLorean was planning a turbo version of the PRV v6 to address the "slow" problem. Of course that never came to fruition, due to Delorean getting arrested for trafficking coke and the company going bankrupt.

I can't help but think if his timing had been about 2-3 years later with a better economy and a Back to the Future movie endorsement that Mr Delorean's car might have sold like gangbusters and made him all kinds of $$$$$.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-22-12, 01:22 PM
See, I can't stand to hear this excuse. My Cadillac is definitely more brick-like and I have outraced a DeLorean owned by a local and I did it with relative ease. Also, let's be realistic, I have to have one of the slowest Cadillacs in here. Brick-shaped, extra heavy, laden with a MINIMUM of several hundred extra pounds of God-Knows-What, just because I can and powered by a stock Oldsmobile 307, which is hardly an engine known for performance...yet still made easy work of the DeLorean (Though he definitely took me in acceleration, but again to be realistic, even a Bicyclist could do that.)

Nine times out of Ten, when someone mentions aerodynamics, it is some sort of excuse. "Oh, you only beat my Honda, Dog, because like...there was like, a head wind, yo."

For the record, my Father's Chevrolet shared the qualities of being large, heavy and brick-shaped with my Cadillac. Never had a problem beating anything at the track.

i was comapring the volvo 780 to the Delorean , both had the same engine

dkozloski
10-22-12, 01:37 PM
DeLorean=POS style over substance.

cadillac kevin
10-22-12, 01:46 PM
DeLorean=POS style over substance.

But its futuristic looking...
Couldn't have sent mcfly back to '55 in any old IROC-Z or 308, now could we?

orconn
10-22-12, 02:37 PM
Well, yeah, but that's because the median age of a Corvette owner these days is over 50. :hitstick:

Hey, get a good education, a good job and work hard ...... and maybe, someday, you may turn into an "Old Phart" driving a new Corvette!

truckinman
10-22-12, 04:04 PM
Hey, get a good education, a good job and work hard ...... and maybe, someday, you may turn into an "Old Phart" driving a new Corvette!

I'd be an old phart any day if it meant I was driving around in a brand new corvette!

The-Dullahan
10-22-12, 05:15 PM

My lack of a Corvette comes from a lack of desire, not a lack of Funds. If you think about it, I have spent more money on vehicle in the last two years than a Corvette would ever have cost me. It's just not my thing. I'd take an 80's RWD Coupe DeVille any day. Corvette? Meh, leave it for someone who can truly appreciate it. My Sister owns one. She likes it, so she can keep it. Transported two for a client last week and had plenty of fun "testing" them up Avalon Road, but still, not something I would spend a dime on (Not that they only cost a dime)

Besides, I already own a Chevrolet and I strongly prefer muscle cars to sportscars.

As for the people driving them, being old has nothing to do with it. They are just slow, regardless of age...and always taking up the fast lane, too.

While I am not a DeLorean fan in any way and would never want one...I would buy a DeLorean over a Corvette. For the price of either though, I could buy several Eldorados or a nice Consort. :cloud9:

talismandave
10-22-12, 05:53 PM

That is where the problem is. I would have bought a vette if I could have gotten one before I was 30. Married with kids at 26 meant that wasn't going to be. Anything older than that, and I would have been"that guy".

Mr mid-life crisis.:lol:

CadillacLuke24
10-22-12, 06:52 PM
That guy.

Don't be That guy.
:D

The-Dullahan
10-23-12, 02:13 AM
Anyone with a Corvette is going through a Midlife Crisis, or recently had a family member perish and inherited it. That is a fact.

Some just go through their Midlife Crisis earlier than others. Some later.

Not to insult anyone here, but that is the same for around half of the CTS-V owners out there too. I am glad to say I sold both of mine. Not sure what "That Guy" is, but I don't want to be it.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-23-12, 10:01 AM
dads midlife crisis has been going on for 35 years , thats how long hes had his 73