: Does metalized window tint cause problmes with 05 STS sensors

STSZ05
10-20-12, 07:48 PM
I am about to add window metalized window tint and was told that it will negatively effect TPMS, A/C, Temp sensors. Is this true? Please share your:( experiences:(....

ddalder
10-20-12, 07:59 PM
There is a possibility for sure. As for A/C and temperature, no. Not unless you put it on the windshield (which I'd hope you won't be planning on doing). As for the back of the car, there are several antennas on the rear glass (AM/FM/RCDLR). I can't say without looking further whether the TPMS might be affected or not. Both the remote control and TPMS signals are received by and processed by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) but I can't recall if they share the same antenna. The European STS uses a separate receiver near each wheel for TPMS so it's unlikely those would be affected (for any of you from Europe). As I say, the remote control is a possibility for sure. OnStar and OnStar GPS is on the roof, as is the XM antenna. In dash navigation is under the front dash so these systems are likely safe.

STSZ05
10-20-12, 08:12 PM
Thanks. I would like to know why the European STS TPMS receiver configuration would be different from US model? I am going to pose the question to Cadillac/GM directly as well.

ddalder
10-20-12, 08:52 PM
Sometimes it not just that a car has a system installed, sometimes it's a regulatory requirement for performance or other reasons imposed by a specific government. For example, many vehicles were not allowed to be imported to Canada from the US (this has changed a lot now). This was for a variety of reasons including such things as more stringent theft deterrent system and bumper impact rating requirements. These were present in vehicles for both countries but our requirements were different. My best guess is a similar reason for TPMS. Europe may require redundancy or performance criteria not present in the North American system.