: Pass seat no back-forth 2008 STS

buzz
10-19-12, 11:52 PM
When I think about all the cars I owned with power front seats, I cannot remember ever having a problem. Maybe the law of averages is catching up to me because suddenly, the passenger seat is "locked" in the full back position and it refuses to move. All the other movements seem ok; up, down, tilt, seat back, etc; however, the seat is at the extreme back position and refuses to move.

I took a flashlight and checked the underside hoping to see a loose connection. Unfortunately, the wiring for this seat appear more complicated than what might be found on an F15 fighter jet! Not really knowing what to look for, I can say I did not find anything obvious; i.e., a disconnected connector assembly. I do have the Helm manuals for the car, so I can try to see if there is anything special to look for; such as a problem with a motor that gets stuck.

Anyone have any suggestions before I prepare for another "expensive" visit to the dealer? :)

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-20-12, 12:13 AM
There's a thread about this somewhere but if I remember correctly it was the plug making a poor connection or the control panel itself on the side of the seat

buzz
10-20-12, 09:27 AM
Thanks, DarkMingBlueSTS, I did look through the threads and didn't spot one specific to this problem. Maybe another, more extensive search is in order. If I can do it without causing additional damage, I might try pulling the side panel out enough to take a look.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-20-12, 09:34 AM
Try to search the problem under google and you should find a link to the forum thread there

buzz
10-20-12, 01:21 PM
Try to search the problem under google and you should find a link to the forum thread there

Well, all I get when I do that is get my post plus several others with basically nothing about my specific problem. I did check the Helm service manual and there is much information about the power seats (as can be expected). I do not have a scan tool, so I do not have the advantage of the diagnostic results ruling out a variety of causes. Most of the trouble ends with replacing the actual switch assembly. Unfortunately, if it is not the switch, it is the complete adjuster assembly and I am very sure the switch, which I can replace myself, is significantly less expensive than the complete adjuster assembly.

So, I will look into the cost of the switch and take a chance this fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I may have to cough up the dough for the complete adjuster assembly, if I decide I need the seat to actually function. I just wish it failed in more of a mid position instead of all the way back. The loss of rear seat foot space is significant with the seat in the full back position.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-20-12, 01:31 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/223682-power-seat-issue.html

Can you hear it clicking? If so it's not the switch

buzz
10-20-12, 01:52 PM
The switch doesn't click when you move it back & forth; at least not a distinctive "click". It does have a faint click when you move it up and down and/or rock it back and forth. Of course, when you do this the seat moves up and down, etc.

I ordered a new switch and I am hoping this will take care of the problem. I will let you know one way or the other. If it doesn't, I am out a few bucks. I felt it was worth the risk.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-20-12, 02:14 PM
The switch doesn't click when you move it back & forth; at least not a distinctive "click". It does have a faint click when you move it up and down and/or rock it back and forth. Of course, when you do this the seat moves up and down, etc.

I ordered a new switch and I am hoping this will take care of the problem. I will let you know one way or the other. If it doesn't, I am out a few bucks. I felt it was worth the risk.

Sorry I meant can you hear the seat clicking when you hold the switch down

buzz
10-20-12, 09:46 PM
There is NO sound from the seat motor when you move the switch back and forth. If the switch was working, and the motor or track was stuck, I would assume the motor would at least respond with something. It does not, so I am assuming the switch is failed.

Ludacrisvp
10-20-12, 11:31 PM
could really easily be wiring rather than the switch ... since up and down does work I would have to think that the wires that are connected to forward / backwards may be having connection issues.
It is likely 2 wires with a shared ground between them so 3 wires total to control forward/reverse.

buzz
10-21-12, 07:26 PM
I did a quick check with the wiring (it is a very tight bundle) and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Wiggling the assembly while trying the switch also did not reveal anything. The switch has several contact points and it "sounds" like the contact point when you move the switch to the forward position (to move the seat forward) isn't doing anything. If it isn't the switch, I spent $60 for nothing.