: Removing front License plate bracket/holder

mrkool
10-19-12, 05:37 PM
So I am in VA and the dealer had to drill holes in the front bumper and mounted the license plate bracket :mad:

It looks like they did not put in normal screws but rivets of some kind. Can any one tell me if these are in fact rivets and have to be drilled out?

http://i.imgur.com/ysRDQ.jpg

vagondr
10-19-12, 08:28 PM
My state requires a front plate but I declined the bracket because the dealer said he would have to drill and rivet. I wired the plate to the right side of the lower grille instead, where I think it will have the least affect on cooling. I prefer the way it looks - kind of blends in. Any opinion as to appearance and air flow issues? I hope some day they will drop the two plate reg.

mkiiina
10-19-12, 10:32 PM
can you post some pics of your plate offset? I'm having a similar issue here in TX and really do not want to drill my bumper.....

cts-v-ette
10-19-12, 10:51 PM
My state requires a front plate but I declined the bracket because the dealer said he would have to drill and rivet. I wired the plate to the right side of the lower grille instead, where I think it will have the least affect on cooling. I prefer the way it looks - kind of blends in. Any opinion as to appearance and air flow issues? I hope some day they will drop the two plate reg.

Dont think dropping the second plate is going to happen, I'm from NJ and hate having the front plate it takes away from the beauty of the front view of the car. So I bought the retractable plate with remote control. Check out Show-N-Go on the Internet. I bought mine from CTSVRACING , their out in Long Island, NY.

dennych
10-19-12, 10:58 PM
Wow I didn't even think about this one. CA requires one in front too....

Show n go seems like a good way to go. How's the installation?

Also found this for offset
http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/cts-v-license-plate-mount-tow-hook

vagondr
10-19-12, 11:10 PM
mkiina - I'm gonna be away for a few days and don't have a picture. Easy to envision. Just hang your plate temporarily and see what you think. I picked the lower right because there seemed to be less radiator behind it there. I coated stainless steel wire with shrink tube to protect the grill and it's barely visible. No drilling so you're not committed.

cts - v - ette - I share your dilemma being from central NJ myself. Maybe I'll see you at the Englishtown Raceway meeting next week. I'll be looking for that retractable plate.

smackdownCTSV
10-19-12, 11:32 PM
Just pull it out. You'll have ~1/4" holes but you can get some cheap plugs and use some touch up paint.

luderchris
10-19-12, 11:39 PM
To answer you question, yes they are rivets. Just use a small drill bit and drill through the center of each rivet. The plate comes right off. Just did it last week.

mrkool
10-20-12, 12:05 AM
did the drilling :(

cts-v-ette
10-20-12, 12:20 AM
mkiina - I'm gonna be away for a few days and don't have a picture. Easy to envision. Just hang your plate temporarily and see what you think. I picked the lower right because there seemed to be less radiator behind it there. I coated stainless steel wire with shrink tube to protect the grill and it's barely visible. No drilling so you're not committed.

cts - v - ette - I share your dilemma being from central NJ myself. Maybe I'll see you at the Englishtown Raceway meeting next week. I'll be looking for that retractable plate.

Where in central Jersey are you? I'm in South Brunswick.

----------

Wow I didn't even think about this one. CA requires one in front too....

Show n go seems like a good way to go. How's the installation?

Also found this for offset
http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/cts-v-license-plate-mount-tow-hook

Installation is a piece of cake, the hardest part is getting under the front end to work. I put mine up on jack stands. They send everything you need to install. I don't like the looks of the offset. I drive around most of the time with the plate hidden, only bring it up when I need to.

mrkool
10-20-12, 02:09 AM
cts-v-ette do you have any pictures of the show and go installed? i want to see how far out if any does the mounting bracket stick out? and did you do it in the middle or the side?

Mikes2009V
10-20-12, 07:21 PM
I'm also in NJ and my car was a one owner car from Maine and never had the tag bracket installed. There was no way I was gonna drill the bumper and put that ugly bracket right smack in the middle of the meanest looking front end I've ever seen. I went with the show n go electric also and love it. They highly recommend mounting it offset to the side as shown on their website but I didn't like the look of that either. They told me it wouldn't worked centered on the lower bumper where I think it belongs but I proved them wrong. Installation was very easy. The kit also comes with a nice foam pad with adhesive back. I used it on the back of the frame where it contacts the painted surface of the bumper when the tag is up to prevent any rubbing or vibration. I have had it installed for almost a year and it works perfectly up to speeds of 142mph... After that not sure. Haven't been any faster yet..here's a couple pics of it installed and I can email anyone a video of it in action if you are interested.

Mikes2009V
10-20-12, 07:23 PM
Here's the pic of the frame in the up position. Sorry last post would only take one pic

cts-v-ette
10-20-12, 08:32 PM
cts-v-ette do you have any pictures of the show and go installed? i want to see how far out if any does the mounting bracket stick out? and did you do it in the middle or the side?

I installed mine the same way mikes2009v did. I don't like the look off to the side, just like I don't like D3's at the toe hook, it looks like a mistake. The one thing you want to be careful of is when your parking, the front of the car is low to begin with so I make a habit of never pulling up to the curbs.

Mikes2009V
10-20-12, 08:50 PM
I installed mine the same way mikes2009v did. I don't like the look off to the side, just like I don't like D3's at the toe hook, it looks like a mistake. The one thing you want to be careful of is when your parking, the front of the car is low to begin with so I make a habit of never pulling up to the curbs.

Second that. First option was the tow hook mount which IMO doesn't belong on a V. As far as parking, definately be aware of parking blocks. When in doubt just stop short or better yet, back in and never have to worry about it.

smackdownCTSV
10-20-12, 09:14 PM
Nice HX.

Mikes2009V
10-20-12, 09:16 PM
Nice HX.

Thanks. Just installed that and some other mods two weeks ago.

celmem
02-07-14, 04:22 PM
ok I'm really nervous about drilling this thing off. Mrkool, I spoke to the dealer (out of state) and indeed it is riveted fasteners just like your photo.

1. It'd be nice to know specifically what size drill. Or I guess I can use a drill larger enough to get the head off.
2. ok let's assume I've done the drilling. What about the remnant pieces? Is there an opening for them to find their way out?

Snotty Boom Body
02-08-14, 12:09 AM
You only need an 1/8" drill bit or so.
As long as it's a little wider than the center pin.

After the bracket is off you can push the pin and mushroomed head thru the bumper cover and out the backside.