: N* Fuel Economy?

tomm
10-18-12, 07:22 PM
Maybe its the way I drive but in the many years I have owned my 2005 STS N* AWD I cant get above 16MPH, (Avg 15.5 per DIC) I know I drive it hard and really hit it when I am first at a Red Light but what are you guys getting? I have never had any mechanical issue and only have 51K miles since I only drive it maybe 6-7K miles a year. Curious what I can expect if I change my driving habits since gas is getting back to $4 a gallon I am trying to save some money.

curtc
10-18-12, 08:26 PM
Maybe its the way I drive but in the many years I have owned my 2005 STS N* AWD I cant get above 16MPH, (Avg 15.5 per DIC) I know I drive it hard and really hit it when I am first at a Red Light but what are you guys getting? I have never had any mechanical issue and only have 51K miles since I only drive it maybe 6-7K miles a year. Curious what I can expect if I change my driving habits since gas is getting back to $4 a gallon I am trying to save some money.
I average about 20-22MPG, 70/30 split between highway and city. Try to keep her under 2 grand in town, yeah, you'll feel like the stereotypical grandpa in a Cadillac but $5 won't be shooting out your exhaust pipes at every green light! :thumbsup: If you drive faster than 65-70 on the freeway she's sucking it down pretty fast too...

EChas3
10-18-12, 09:03 PM
I get about the same as you, Tomm. I can do better but it's just not as much fun!

We are facing lower ratio & number of gears and higher weight & rolling resistance. I love using the ACC and the TCM programming keeps the clutch engaged in a lower gear just like I do in a stick car. Highway driving helps some but to top 20MPG I'd have to drive less than 65 or run the tires higher than 30 PSI. I tend to run with traffic or the speed limit plus 8.

Add to all that, the crap ethanol RFG we are forced to buy to buy the votes of the grain belt and the build sheet gets option R8E - Gas Guzzler Tax!

Touch twice life and enjoy the ride.

orange57
10-19-12, 12:44 AM
Summer driving, all surface roads, about 16miles round trip to work, with the AC on all the time I get around 17-18ish, and that is driving it pretty easy. Now, with no AC, driving about the same I will get 20-22 on the same drive. We took it to San Diego, and hovering 70-75 got in the 25-28 range. Pretty pleased with the MPG's for the size of teh car and the power of the engine.

truckinman
10-19-12, 06:41 AM
It use to be hard for me to not lead foot it at every green light too. Specially if some civic with a fart can muffler pulled up next to me. Bc although mines only a 6, it's more than quick enough to be tempting lol. But I've started getting use to driving with a lighter foot. At least when Chrissy is in there. Bc every time I get heavy on the gas, I hear her sigh over my exhaust note anyway...

jdelp
10-19-12, 10:42 AM
In the month or so I've had mine I am getting around 19...that's at 70/30 city over highway. The first week or two I had it - more like 14 - 15, had to have a little fun there! :-) Since I ease it off the line more often than not and like curtc says, try to keep it below 2k in town. I am looking forward to my first road trip though to see if I can get around the 25-28 range orange57 speaks of.

I am sure have, but make sure you have good air/fuel filters , proper tire inflation etc. to maximize mpg's...

curtc
10-19-12, 01:18 PM
I drove a 500+m round trip a few weeks ago and averaged about 23 or so.

burkewm
10-19-12, 02:22 PM
Nobody yet? I'll do it then... All that torque and you can't get that thing above 16 MPH?????

DdoubleE
10-19-12, 06:03 PM
I get around 18, but I know mine is also from having a lead foot. Plus a lot of my mile come from driving in town and highway combined.

EChas3
10-19-12, 07:48 PM
My wife's 2007 RWD N* turns 2,000 RPM at 80 MPH. One afternoon on a vacation get-away day, we got 25 MPG on a tank at that speed, with the help of the OEM rock-hard Michelin Energy tires. Even with good tires it coasts where my 1SG performs.

My wife has a lead-foot, too. She gets about 20 MPG around town. Ever see those "Watch your speed" units? She likes to see how high she can make it read!

I love these cars!

orange57
10-21-12, 06:59 PM
My wife's 2007 RWD N* turns 2,000 RPM at 80 MPH.

I'm churning 2000 RPM at around 67 mph. hmmm...must be different gearing.

EChas3
10-21-12, 08:45 PM
My wife's car has the 2.73. My AWD 1SG has the 3.23 and I'm a tick over 60 @ 2k. I read here somewhere that all AWD's have the 3.23. Any exceptions?

Doesn't the RWD 1SG Summer tire option include the 3.48?

What's the V get?