: 05 Cadillac STS V6 wont start

KingMack
10-18-12, 08:01 PM
Hey guys I need some help my 05 cadillac sts v6 wont start, it did once and then when I put it in reverse it just died completely. I took the battery out and got a new one because it was dead, when I had it tested at autozone. Even with the new one in its still not starting. On the battery volt instrument display in the car it shows the voltage at 12.1, 12.2max but when I try to start the car it DROPS to 11.8 even sometimes as low as 11.6. Does that mean its the alternator?

Thanks Guy,
KingMack

dannyquest
10-18-12, 08:26 PM
Kingmack, Will the fob work, can you lock & unlock the door. Have you placed the fob in the console key holder. Danny

tomm
10-18-12, 08:32 PM
Alternator only can be tested when the car is running and voltage should definately be above 12V when running and recharging your battery. Are you getting any messages on the DIC when trying to start it? Do you have booster cables to confirm the new battery is good and charged? If car starts with booster cables its possible your new battery is also bad or did not have a full charge.

truckinman
10-18-12, 08:40 PM
The battery wouldn't have caused it to die after it was already running. I think that may have just been coincidence that they found it bad when they tested it. If it is the alternator, you should have just been able to charge the battery back up and got it started that way.

When its running, you should get a good 14-14.5 volts. When not running, maybe 13.5. So the 12 is low. It could be a ground wire actually. Check your ground for your starter. That can cause this. Not saying that's for sure what it is, but it's a good place to start.

KingMack
10-18-12, 09:54 PM
the old battery was really dead!!! When the guy hooked it up to the tester it wouldnt even keep the tester on lol. It said it had zero cranking amps. so I bought the new one because of course I am going to need a new one anyways. Everything works when the battery is connected lights, radio, fob door locks and etc. I do have a jumper starter that I hooked to the battery and tried it that way still no start. I the jump starter it says "check alternator". But when I try to start it, it turns over but wont start..at this point is when i'm getting the lower readings on the battery which is 11.3 11.6 barely 12v. Any other thoughts or what should be the next step. Thanks for all the helpful answers.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-18-12, 10:03 PM
the old battery was really dead!!! When the guy hooked it up to the tester it wouldnt even keep the tester on lol. It said it had zero cranking amps. so I bought the new one because of course I am going to need a new one anyways. Everything works when the battery is connected lights, radio, fob door locks and etc. I do have a jumper starter that I hooked to the battery and tried it that way still no start. I the jump starter it says "check alternator". But when I try to start it, it turns over but wont start..at this point is when i'm getting the lower readings on the battery which is 11.3 11.6 barely 12v. Any other thoughts or what should be the next step. Thanks for all the helpful answers.

Can you hear the fuel pump running?

EChas3
10-18-12, 10:20 PM
Turing over but not starting sounds serious. I think the computer checjs for sufficient voltage and fuel pressure before cranking. But maybe the V6 is different.

A Cadillac dealer might save you money at this point.

Good luck!

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-18-12, 10:24 PM
Turing over but not starting sounds serious. I think the computer checjs for sufficient voltage and fuel pressure before cranking. But maybe the V6 is different.

A Cadillac dealer might save you money at this point.

Good luck!

Yeah a computer problem was my first thought too but hopefully that's not it

KingMack
10-18-12, 10:25 PM
yes i can hear it, its working properly. At one point the dealer told me the timing chain was going bad. Could that stop it from starting?

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-18-12, 10:37 PM
yes i can hear it, its working properly. At one point the dealer told me the timing chain was going bad. Could that stop it from starting?

I would say so but I think you'd know if it was the timing chain that went out. The motor would sound like it was rattling apart would be my guess

EChas3
10-19-12, 12:40 AM
The V6 is known to be susectable to timing chain issues. I wish the best but the decision to delay that service may prove costly.

I would not try to start it again and just have it flat-bedded to my favorite Cadillac dealer. I'm halfway between 2 good dealers. In this case, I'd take it to the more professional one. They are a bit higher but they have better tech's.

KingMack
10-21-12, 09:51 PM
Thanks a lot guys for all the answer and advise.