: Cabin air filter

Wicho
12-16-04, 09:31 PM
I just want to know if a 1997 Deville has a cabin air filter. If so where is it located ? I want to try to get a more "crisp" smell from the a/c. Right now I feel like the air is a little thick but it could do with living in South Florida :rolleyes2

BeelzeBob
12-16-04, 09:49 PM
No cabin air filter.

You may need to clean and disenfect the evaporator core. It is pretty common for mung to build up on the evaporator over time and since the evaporator is always damp (due to water condensing on it since it is cold) the growth of mold and such is common. Hence the "locker room smell" that emanates from the AC ducts. This is a huge problem in humid, warm places (like Florida....) with all car lines and all makes. Evaporators do get moist and tend to be breeding grounds for bacteria, mold, fungus, etc....

If you look at the top of the HVAC casing on the firewall I think that you will see a place that says "cut for service". It is in the area of the HVAC case next to the firewall on the top surface of the case in the middle of the car. Cut this area out carefully and you can see the evaporator surface below. Use a shop vac nozzle and/or small soft brush to clean the debris and dissenfect with mild bleach solution. There is a drain for the condensation in the evaporator enclosure so you can mist cleaner and water onto the evaporator surface to flush it just don't use a garden hose so as to overwhelm the small drain. When finished, patch the hole with duct tape and a piece of aluminum...or glue the aluminum patch with RTV around the perimeter. Leave it temporary so that you can do the cleaning regularily.

If you don't want to cut the hole you can always pull the blower motor out and access thru there but it is not nearly as convenient.

Rob Benham
12-19-04, 03:37 AM
Thanks again bbob, just what I wanted to know.

There air here in south Texas is a wet as a hot bath and certainly the house a/c ‘coil' needs regular cleaning. However, the plastic case on my 94 SLS is in poor condition ($ 106 ) and doesn't look like a free lunch to change. I found this out after having a fan stop by the entire motor drooping down ‘till it stalled.

Do you know if changing this OUTER housing will cause the fan to be held firm, or am I still into more work when I get into the first ‘layer'? RB

dewitt492
01-25-05, 03:51 PM
Does anyone know if a 97 Seville SLS would have a cabin filter? If so, where is it located? Thank you

Dave

BeelzeBob
01-25-05, 04:09 PM
Thanks again bbob, just what I wanted to know.

There air here in south Texas is a wet as a hot bath and certainly the house a/c ‘coil' needs regular cleaning. However, the plastic case on my 94 SLS is in poor condition ($ 106 ) and doesn't look like a free lunch to change. I found this out after having a fan stop by the entire motor drooping down ‘till it stalled.

Do you know if changing this OUTER housing will cause the fan to be held firm, or am I still into more work when I get into the first ‘layer'? RB

The plastic HVAC case has a heat and noise damping "blanket" over it on the firewall side. That may be what is desintegrating....that is just an insulator, not the functional HVAC case. You can access the evaporator thru the blower motor mounting hole, thru the blower speed/voltage module opening or you can cut a hole in the HVAC case with a hole saw and then patch it with tin and duct tape.

BeelzeBob
01-25-05, 04:10 PM
Does anyone know if a 97 Seville SLS would have a cabin filter? If so, where is it located? Thank you

Dave

No, it doesn't have one.