: Whining Pump type noise??? 2012 CTS-V sedan

quikag
10-16-12, 02:14 PM
I started the car today to drive a few miles over to lunch and I got a new noise. It's a loud pump whining type noise you can hear clearly inside the cabin. It almost sounds like feedback noise from the stereo. I turned off the stereo and AC and the noise was still there. On the way back from lunch, the noise was still there and I got out of the car with the engine running and the noise sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the front passenger wheel well area.

Any idea what this sound is? Fuel pump, maybe?

FLTRI
10-16-12, 02:43 PM
If you hear it when your are pressing firmly on the pedal on the right, it's the supercharger. We paid extra for that whine. If you really want to hear it, get an AirRaid intake...

quikag
10-16-12, 02:50 PM
Uh, come on, FLTRI. :D I've been on this board long enough to know better. I already have an Airaid and I am VERY familiar with the happy supercharger whine. This is a pump whine noise that is noticeable even at idle with the engine in park. It really sounds like a bad fuel pump or something like that. This noise started at lunch when I drove over. Never heard this noise before.

Anyway, dealership told me to bring it by AGAIN this afternoon. I still have that whirring/mechanical mesh type noise in the back of the car I think is a bearing or the diff. Dealership didn't fix it last time because the shop foreman "couldn't hear it". Also, they cleaned the hub for the front clicking noise and, of course, it's clicking again. This is getting a little annoying as I bought this car back in April and it only has 8k miles. No track or abusive mileage, just driving to and from work in DFW traffic, so it's not like I'm setting top speed records with this car. Even if I was, this is a $75k performance sedan and it should be able to take a few full throttle runs every single day for several years.

Dealership is getting me into a new XTS loaner, so at least I'll be able to check out the new CUE system.

FLTRI
10-16-12, 03:08 PM
Heh, just yanking your chain...:)

The fuel pump is in the gas tank I believe, so you can probably discount that. I'd get a mechanics stethoscope and see if I could pinpoint it. Then you can take it to the dealer and show them, exactly, what part is making the noise...

1997BlackETC
10-16-12, 03:23 PM
From the way your describing it, sounds like the power steering pump. Does it change at all when you move the steering around at a standstill?

JFJr
10-16-12, 04:23 PM
I started the car today to drive a few miles over to lunch and I got a new noise. It's a loud pump whining type noise you can hear clearly inside the cabin. It almost sounds like feedback noise from the stereo. I turned off the stereo and AC and the noise was still there. On the way back from lunch, the noise was still there and I got out of the car with the engine running and the noise sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the front passenger wheel well area.

Any idea what this sound is? Fuel pump, maybe?I started a thread about the same thing a while ago. Someone suggested it might be small fans cooling the electronics. Anyway, it isn't present all the time and has gone away since the weather has cooled slightly. I hear similar noise from the fan in my desktop computer, so the explanation sounds reasonable.

Jud

quikag
10-16-12, 07:39 PM
Not power steering pump. Jud, you may be right because when I started it to drive to the dealer the bad pump type noise was gone. Oh well. I'm going to wait to go to the dealer until early next week for my other two issues as it's out of the way. Thanks for the suggestions all.

JFJr
10-16-12, 08:13 PM
Not power steering pump. Jud, you may be right because when I started it to drive to the dealer the bad pump type noise was gone. Oh well. I'm going to wait to go to the dealer until early next week for my other two issues as it's out of the way. Thanks for the suggestions all.Don't get too focused on minor noises. Enjoy the car for what it is. The supercharger noise corrupts the V-8 sound, but when the speedometer display is a blur, who cares? Seamless, controllable power is priceless. This is new "ultimate driving machine."

Jud

quikag
10-16-12, 08:28 PM
I agree and am really happy with the V overall. The issues I've had are very minor in the grand scheme of things. The power is awesome for sure.

baabootoo
10-17-12, 10:10 AM
I had a similar noise, but it was the cooled seats fan. Once off, no more noise. I noticed it especially when I leaned forward.

CTS NV
12-06-12, 10:11 PM
Anyone resolve this? I'm getting a very similar noise from the engine compartment -- I thought it was alternator whine through the speakers, it but happens even with the infotainment system off. Definitely coming from under the hood, and I'm sure it won't be there tomorrow.

DiamondWhtV
12-07-12, 03:07 PM
Coolant pump for the heat exchanger??

fastpharmd
12-07-12, 03:24 PM
I have noticed this also, I believe it is the hard drive spinning, or possibly a small fan in the dash. Noise is present when any power to the dash (even with stereo off). Sounds just like a hard drive to me, but is barely noticeable above like 25mph.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-10-12, 02:12 PM
Quikag, I realize you're looking for advice from owners, so I just wanted to jump on this thread quickly to let you know I'm available via private message for further assistance. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you would like any help working with a dealer, checking for recalls, etc.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

cts-v ls6
12-11-12, 01:43 PM
I have the same exact noise in my 2010 V2. The dealer diagnosed it as bad pulleys (i.e. bearings) in the idler and tensioner pulleys on the supercharger. Ironically these are not covered by the power train warranty. Price quoted to fix was somewhere between $650-700. I did not have fixed because they said they took off the belts, started the car, and with the supercharger not turning, the noise went away. Duh! What if it's the supercharger? No way to diagnose that if it's not turning.

Jack

67 455 Bird ragtop
10-22-13, 09:28 AM
Old thread. But my 2013 just developed this noise. I also thought it was my power steering pump being low on fluid. But that was not it. Anyone find out what this really is ??? I may run by my dealer during lunch to see what they say.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-22-13, 04:11 PM
Old thread. But my 2013 just developed this noise. I also thought it was my power steering pump being low on fluid. But that was not it. Anyone find out what this really is ??? I may run by my dealer during lunch to see what they say.

Hello 67 455 Bird ragtop,

I am sorry you are experiencing a noise issue with your vehicle. If you would like assistance while working with the dealer, please let me know. I can be contacted via private message and am more than happy to help.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Xaqtly
10-22-13, 04:18 PM
Coolant pump for the heat exchanger??

This is almost definitely what it is.

Titaniumseeker
10-26-13, 08:05 PM
This is almost definitely what it is.

Mine started with the replacement upgrade of my pump a day ago.. I am sure it is not a coincidence.

Xaqtly
10-28-13, 04:52 AM
In my case my fluid was low and there may have been an air bubble - my dealer claims they fixed it by flushing the coolant and refilling, and the pump noise did stop and it worked fine after that. You may want to have them do the same for yours.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-28-13, 04:24 PM
In my case my fluid was low and there may have been an air bubble - my dealer claims they fixed it by flushing the coolant and refilling, and the pump noise did stop and it worked fine after that. You may want to have them do the same for yours.

Thank you for sharing this information, Xaqtly. If any questions or concerns arise, please contact us via private message so we can assist. Continue to enjoy your V Wagon!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

67 455 Bird ragtop
11-01-13, 09:39 AM
Looks like mine is a supercharger pulley. Having it overnighted from Michigan. Will get it fixed on Monday. Bummer :(

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-01-13, 02:08 PM
Looks like mine is a supercharger pulley. Having it overnighted from Michigan. Will get it fixed on Monday. Bummer :(

Let me know how your vehicle repair goes. If there is anything you would like to discuss, please contact me via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

67 455 Bird ragtop
11-05-13, 02:58 PM
All fixed now. Quiet/normal again. BTW I don't use my local Cadillac dealer for service I use my Buick formerly Pontiac dealer for service. Long lasting relationship. Plus my local Cadillac dealer treated us like crap when we went to look at a 2012 model they had marked way down. Got what my wife called the "Pretty Woman" treatment. If you remember the scene when she went to that on shop and the ran her out.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-06-13, 11:35 AM
All fixed now. Quiet/normal again. BTW I don't use my local Cadillac dealer for service I use my Buick formerly Pontiac dealer for service. Long lasting relationship. Plus my local Cadillac dealer treated us like crap when we went to look at a 2012 model they had marked way down. Got what my wife called the "Pretty Woman" treatment. If you remember the scene when she went to that on shop and the ran her out.

I am glad to hear that your vehicle is repaired and your dealership was able to address the issues you were experiencing. I apologize that you have had a bad experience with the Cadillac dealership in your area, but I am happy to hear that you have a long standing, good relationship with your local Buick dealership who service’s your vehicle. If you would like any assistance working with them regarding any other concerns, please feel free to reach out to us via private message. If you would like to file a formal complaint against the dealership, Laura or I can assist you with that as well. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care