: Looking for Northstar experts in or around Atlanta, GA

Eldorado_RED
10-16-12, 01:38 PM
Greetings.

I was wondering if anyone is in or near the Atlanta, GA area that can help me out. I have a 97 Eldorado ETC that has been sitting for the past 3 years and I finally have the funds to try to put it back on the road. The first engine had head gasket issues and was replaced with a second, used engine that lasted for about 2 years but its the same issue again with the head gaskets. So my question is, would it be wise to have an expert redo the gaskets or replace it with another used or reman engine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

98eldo32v
10-16-12, 01:45 PM
Stud it, pm me

Ranger
10-16-12, 02:24 PM
Don't mean to rub salt in the wound, but if you had replaced the HGs on the first engine (properly) it would still be running without problems. This is a perfect example of the devil you know vs the devil you don't. I suspect it will be cheaper (not cheap) to replace the HGs than to replace the motor. Just be sure that whoever does it has done it before (on a Northstar) and will insert (NOT Helicoil) or stud all 20 bolt holes.

98eldo32v
10-16-12, 02:49 PM
^^^^^^^ that is correct Ranger.

The engine should have been studded or inserted. I prefer the stud method.....

Eldorado_RED
10-16-12, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the advice Ranger,

Unfortunately, I was ignorant to the fact and did not have all these great resources that I do now. Plus it was so hard to find someone that knew what they were talking about or doing in my area. I will get it right this time around and get the heads done.

beebop01
10-18-12, 05:41 PM
I am driving thru Atlanta, GA in a couple week heading back to Indianapolis . I would be more than happy to pick the car up and fix it for you.

Dollar Bill
10-25-12, 08:50 AM
Randy's Automotive in Marietta. Very knowledgeable, talk with andy or Carole. They only work on Cadillacs. Somewhat cheaper than a dealer. Very good.
https://plus.google.com/101422684820554387848/about?gl=us&hl=en

Also suggest getting into the Peach State Cadillac Lasalle Club. Contact Doug Bailey, for membership info, at the end of the link below. Very active club with a lot of members willing to help if you want to work on your own car.
http://peachstateclc.com/index.htm