: XTS road trip.

longslim
10-16-12, 03:06 AM
I did a 1000 mile round trip and the car perform better than I expected it to. First the ride was very smooth cruising @75 mph the car rode like it was @40. The surprise for me was when had to floor it to merge in rush hour city traffic or when I ran it up to 95 mph it did both effortless. So those concern about lacking power where unfounded. Trip was LA to San Fransisco and gas mileage average was only 24mpg I was hoping to do better. But with only 2000 miles on car maybe it will be higher the next time. One factor that was really cool was the compliment from Beemers and MB owners on how nice the car look. Only negative was car washes in Frisco are ridiculous expensive and the 49ers lost the game we went to see. I paid $31.95 for hand wash and tire dressing and the place was packed, You got love the young urban professional they got money to burn.

rayle
10-16-12, 11:05 AM
That's good feedback. How smooth is it when accelerating from a stop? Any hesitation before it kicks in?

My current vehicle has the same engine, and most times there is hesitation or a jerk no matter how easily the accelerator pedal is pressed. Dealer says that is normal. Since we are considering an XTS, we wouldn't want the same performance.

Cadjiek
10-16-12, 11:50 AM
Mine has no jerk what so ever. It is very smooth. My 07 STS was not even close to this car in how smoooth the drive train and engine are. The only jerks I experience are the other drivers on the road.

longslim
10-16-12, 01:09 PM
That's good feedback. How smooth is it when accelerating from a stop? Any hesitation before it kicks in?

My current vehicle has the same engine, and most times there is hesitation or a jerk no matter how easily the accelerator pedal is pressed. Dealer says that is normal. Since we are considering an XTS, we wouldn't want the same performance.
One time I really need it to move was merging on to the 101 on the Marin side of the Golden Gate Bridge. The highway is very old so the enter lane are short and you are immediately in the traffic flow plus it's a step grade. So I didn't floor it hard I press the pedal down half way and it jumped out in to the traffic no hesitant at all. What was nice was I pedal it through three more gear changes. I release and apply more gas as my RPM increased to 3k and it jump forward every time, it was so sweet. I was half way up the hill and we where doing 90 before I back off. Oh and there where five adults in the car at the time over a 1000lbs total, I got some chunky family :-). I really got learn how to use the pedal shifter, I bet it would be even smoother. I use them couple of times but not comfortable enough for highway merging tactics. But I bet you could really get RPM higher with car in manual shifting. One more thing I got to check my back seat passenger complain that the sound is horrible and all you hear is a dull rumble from woofer. I'm going to have the service rep check my speaker connection to see if they are properly grounded. I have the luxury model so only eight speaker. Maybe the placement for speaker doesn't sound as clear in the rear because they're in the doors? I find sound quality to be very good on passenger and driver side front, I've never ridden in the back of the car so this was a new issue.

b4z
10-17-12, 10:09 AM
Gas mileage should improve at around 4000 miles or so.

BreakThrough
11-11-12, 10:22 PM
Mine has no jerk what so ever. It is very smooth. My 07 STS was not even close to this car in how smoooth the drive train and engine are. The only jerks I experience are the other drivers on the road. Agree, my 2008 CTS4 was no where near refined as this XTS4 is. Engine is smoother, shifts smoother overall a totally different car.

wthomas33
11-11-12, 11:38 PM
I took delivery of my XTS in July and now have 7500 miles on it. I like to drive.

Around town mpg is ~24 and highway is ~29.

No complaints here!

DG2
11-12-12, 12:21 AM
I took delivery of my XTS in July and now have 7500 miles on it. I like to drive.

Around town mpg is ~24 and highway is ~29.

No complaints here!

Great news ! Thanks for sharing and enjoy that beauty.