: This was interesting...

mckellyb
10-15-12, 05:19 PM
...for about five minutes.

When leaving work, I found the door would not unlock. Pulled on the handle a couple of times, nothing.

Hmph.

Try to unlock, then lock, then unlatch the trunk via the fob.

Still nothing.

Fob is dead. This is a challenge because I'm 30 miles from home. Plus, I'm parked behind three rows of razor wire-topped fence, one of which I believe is electrified. Security is, shall we say, well addressed.

Fortunately, I had a nail clipper in my computer case with which I opened the fob, removed the battery, put it back, and it had enough juice to allow me to open the door.

I've changed it since I'm home, however, if you're locked out like this, how can you get in? The actual key is around, somewhere, but this still doesn't allow the engine to start.

Tip: The warning 'dinger' was rapidly going off this morning after everything was off, and I opened the door. I shut the driver's door, cycled the accessory function, opened the door again, and all was well. I guess that was my warning.

I'd wager the CR2032 in the fob is original from 2005.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-15-12, 06:59 PM
My key is always with the fob in case that happens

curtc
10-15-12, 07:07 PM
My key is always with the fob in case that happens

Same, would be -20 out with my luck if that happened to me...

Neko98
10-15-12, 07:12 PM
I will be buying a spare battery and leaving it in the glove box tomorrow. $5 for piece of mind, key gets ya in, swap battery and you're off.

caddyfat2
10-15-12, 07:32 PM
I will be buying a spare battery and leaving it in the glove box tomorrow. $5 for piece of mind, key gets ya in, swap battery and you're off.
ya, key gets you in but then you can put your fob into the place for it inside the armrest and start your car.

curtc
10-15-12, 08:03 PM
ya, key gets you in but then you can put your fob into the place for it inside the armrest and start your car.

Even if the battery is completely dead?

EChas3
10-15-12, 08:50 PM
^^^ Yeppure! A nice trick!

I do like the new style fob with a physical key contained in the fob. Unfortunately for us early-STS owners, some metal-work is necessary to fit a 2005-7 blank to the newer fob. It does all work.

curtc
10-15-12, 09:08 PM
^^^ Yeppure! A nice trick!

I do like the new style fob with a physical key contained in the fob. Unfortunately for us early-STS owners, some metal-work is necessary to fit a 2005-7 blank to the newer fob. It does all work.

Yeah, I've looked into that, seems like more work than it's worth, but I do like the newer style way more. Nice tip though with the fob placement, must have a non-powered trigger the car senses, but I'm sure that's all in the owners manual :)

EChas3
10-15-12, 09:17 PM
I wanted a spare fob, anyway. It didn't make sense to go buy an old-style one when the new style works.

After playing around with multiple fobs and two cars, I did find that the fob matching procedure changes both the fob and the car settings. I could not get one fob to work with both cars.

Ludacrisvp
10-16-12, 06:20 AM
I wanted a spare fob, anyway. It didn't make sense to go buy an old-style one when the new style works.

After playing around with multiple fobs and two cars, I did find that the fob matching procedure changes both the fob and the car settings. I could not get one fob to work with both cars.
That would have been a neat trick.

Charles Warren
10-16-12, 06:48 AM
i thought when the battery dies you can still place the key fob in the armrest portal spot and still crank the car??? but yeah i think im gonna change my battery and order me a new style fob or 2 since i cant use both and the fob i have now is number 2 since the lady who traded it in was a female dog and never brought the driver key and new map discs she said she just ordered before she traded it in.

EChas3
10-16-12, 07:34 PM
^^^ Yep that works.

truckinman
10-17-12, 02:41 AM
^^^ Yep that works.

How exactly does it work? I mean, when I reprogrammed my fobs, I put em in that sleeve in the console, and I was expecting it to hook to some kind of a plug or something that would inform the car of it's presence. But it just sits in there like it does in your pants pocket. This is just out of curiosity sake, but how's the car know it's even there any more than if it were sitting in a cup holder? This is black magic to me! Lol

curtc
10-17-12, 07:52 AM
How exactly does it work? I mean, when I reprogrammed my fobs, I put em in that sleeve in the console, and I was expecting it to hook to some kind of a plug or something that would inform the car of it's presence. But it just sits in there like it does in your pants pocket. This is just out of curiosity sake, but how's the car know it's even there any more than if it were sitting in a cup holder? This is black magic to me! Lol

My guess is that there is some non-powered trigger the car can sense is there.

Midnight
10-17-12, 10:42 AM
I always thought that pocket did some kind of inductive powering of the fob. I might have to check this out somehow now, it has me curious.