: How hard is it to change the grill and hood on a 2005 STS?

IceDigger
10-15-12, 03:28 PM
So I let my wife drive my car to go shopping and she brings it back with a cracked grill and bent hood. Says she hit an SUV in the parking lot. No damage on the other car luckily.

I would rather not go to the insurance company with what seems to be an easy fix.

How hard is it to replace these 2 parts? I'm not seeing any other damage to the car and no paint chipping or cracking luckily.

Also where would be the best place to purchase these?

I have a black 2005 STS v8.

curtc
10-15-12, 04:05 PM
First, NEVER let the wife take the STS out again....

The grill is easy to replace, just a few fasteners holding it on...not sure about the hood though.

IceDigger
10-15-12, 04:13 PM
Yea, the hood I might leave as is for now as no paint chips and still closes and opens properly. It doesn't look that off either.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-15-12, 04:20 PM
The grille is a piece of cake. Remove the fasteners(like curt mentioned), and the side where it's clipped in (i would remove the condenses where you see painted plastic to make it easier for this) 5 minute job. It's kind of hard to tell from the pic but you might also need a new chrome strip on hood. It just pops in. the hood should have 4 bolts near the hinges (2 on each side) but I'll check mine when I get home...

----------

*fasteners...not condenses...

IceDigger
10-15-12, 04:23 PM
The chrome strip on the hood is in great shape.

I am really suprised there are no scratches or dings on the paint. Must have hit it just right.

Thanks for the info on replacing the grill. Any idea where to purchase one?

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-15-12, 04:39 PM
I have an aftermarket grille that I ordered from ebay. I would look up e&g classics and see if you like one of those to replace it with.

Carvone
10-15-12, 04:43 PM
You could try a scrap yard or Craigslist for the grille since it is pretty standard, ebay has them for full price also or this would be a good time to upgrade to a mesh grille from E&G. Maybe it's my crappy work monitor but your hood looks fine from here, those can be quite expensive to replace with paint matching and all. Search "sts grilles" on ebay and look around at different styles.

curtc
10-15-12, 04:46 PM
eBay or Chris from Rippy >>>>> site vendor to the right...

Could try GMPartsDirect as well

1BadCadSTS
10-15-12, 05:10 PM
its not so bad

I have 3 grilles on top of my fridge if you still need one cheap

2 off of non acc cars (my 05 STS4 and dads 05 STS rwd that he totalled we had put an E&G on both cars) and one with acc that had a D3 grille installed

One standard is painted satin black other is factory silver

Neko98
10-15-12, 05:18 PM
Not to thread jack, but is swapping out for a E & G a simple swap, no cutting, just bolt on as we'll? Some of the brief directions on eBay sales aren't great in detail.

IceDigger
10-15-12, 05:18 PM
That D3 grill looks really nice. Will that fit the regular STS or is it just for the STS-V?

Maybe an excuse to upgrade to that?

Carvone
10-15-12, 05:27 PM
one with acc that had a D3 grille installed

Sorry for the Hijack but since he doesn't have ACC....I would be interested in the D3 grille, Do you have a pic of it? I'll send you a PM also.

PontiacV8
10-16-12, 06:16 AM
...or...how about an only 2007 "Platinum Edition" grille aka China-market "Cadillac SLS" grille...?;)

...it's "plug and play" for all 2005 - 2007 STS (without ACC)...this kind of an original GM grille is still available...and has a decent price...

http://i50.tinypic.com/rsre9w.jpg

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-16-12, 07:21 AM
...or...how about an only 2007 "Platinum Edition" grille aka China-market "Cadillac SLS" grille...?;)

...it's "plug and play" for all 2005 - 2007 STS (without ACC)...this kind of an original GM grille is still available...and has a decent price...

That's the grille I have too. It fits great and looks great but it is all plastic so idk how long it will last for.

PontiacV8
10-16-12, 07:41 AM
...well...the original/stock basic grille is all "plastic" too...there isn't a big difference/haptic...so both will or won't last long...;)

DM...nice avatar btw...:D

http://i48.tinypic.com/ru5u29.jpg

Carvone
10-16-12, 09:43 AM
...or...how about an only 2007 "Platinum Edition" grille ...it's "plug and play" for all 2005 - 2007 STS (without ACC)...this kind of an original GM grille is still available...and has a decent price...

That is a very nice grille you have there but my car has ACC so I'm limited in my choices. I like the E&G mesh grilles but I'm too darn cheap to pay $500+ for one. I'll wait and see what BadCad has for sale. Let me know if you run across one with ACC.

EChas3
10-16-12, 08:41 PM
I agree the egg-crate grille looks great. I'd never give up my ACC, though.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-16-12, 11:57 PM
...well...the original/stock basic grille is all "plastic" too...there isn't a big difference/haptic...so both will or won't last long...;)

DM...nice avatar btw...:D

I meant the chrome plating is on plastic so that's why I'm not sure about the life of the grille

Thanks Pontiac

----------

I meant the chrome plating is on plastic so that's why I'm not sure about the life of the grille

Thanks Pontiac

And probably made with cheap china products but I have that grille and love it. I do my best to keep it protected tho.

06WhiteDiamond
10-20-12, 02:00 PM

http://i50.tinypic.com/rsre9w.jpg

Part number please

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-20-12, 02:05 PM
Part number please

Idk the part number but go to ebay, big daddy caddy, and search their store its called platinum something

PontiacV8
10-20-12, 02:59 PM
Part number please

...the GM Part Number is: # 9021417

rnkath08
10-30-12, 01:38 AM
I have the stock grille from my 06 and the factory hood too which happens to be black raven (replaced with a v series)
would be happy to send them to you for not too much money, need to go as I was holding onto the stuff I changed out thinking if I ever traded it in I'd swap back, but now I realize I won't be trading it possibly ever and if I do, the stuff I changed is just fine. heck you're only about 4.5 hours from me, road trip for lunch and swap???!!!

1BadCadSTS
10-30-12, 10:07 AM
Where are you located.

Ludacrisvp
10-30-12, 10:47 AM
Where are you located.
OP is from Bucks County, PA
rnkath08 is from the ambiguous 'upstate ny'
and you are from nowhere apparently
:)

The China market grille / 'platinum' model grille pictured above to me says DTS more than STS.
While it looks nicer than the normal 05-07 STS grille does it just is too much like DTS grille to me.

1BadCadSTS
10-30-12, 02:18 PM
im pittsburgh

IceDigger
10-31-12, 02:20 PM
What is ACC?

Ludacrisvp
10-31-12, 02:53 PM
Adaptive cruise control. Uses radar unit mounted in front of the radiator to detect and regulate your distance between you and the car in front of you. Only active during cruise engagement.

IceDigger
11-03-12, 12:34 PM
How do I know if I have it?

1BadCadSTS
11-03-12, 12:49 PM
You don't. If you did there's no way you wouldn't know.