: Northstar water pump 2006-2011

Tom's Caddy
10-15-12, 01:06 PM
Is the water pump tool still needed to remove the water pump from the 2006-2011 norhtstar engine found in the DTS. And if so does someone know for sure that the crossover has to be removed to get to the pump in the newer models. If so how many hours labour would a caddy dealer charge, also is the back bolts on the crossover still as hard to get at because of the wiring harness as the old crossover? Thanks and all the best.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj621/tomscaddy/741dbecf.jpg

ternstes
10-16-12, 04:53 PM
According to the service manual, the pump mounts on the engine-side of the crossover housing with bolts. No special tool needed anymore, but you will need to go through the painstaking process of removing the crossover... What diagnosis have you done to determine the pump needs changing?

Tom's Caddy
10-17-12, 10:26 AM
Thanks ternstes. I have no water pump issue, but on these boards I've read alot about headgaskets crossover gaskets and water pumps, on the DTS board caddymack was having a water pump replaced and was just curious. Thanks again and all the best.

maeng9981
10-17-12, 08:19 PM
Water pumps are usually very reliable on these cars. Head gaskets are not much of a concern anymore with new coarser thread head bolts, just make sure you do a good maintenance on it. Crossover gaskets will usually be intact for a long long time. Don't worry about things that could possibly go wrong (if thinking that, everything and anything can go wrong tomorrow - or next year - or never) and enjoy your DTS.