: 2005 STS, need advice

ahmaduhhs
10-15-12, 09:35 AM
Good morning fellas, i just picked up a fully loaded 2005 Cadillac STS V8 RWD with 97K for a cheap price. The previous owner, a young female did not do much in the way of maintenance/repairs. The car does seem to have the usually flaws/defects most 05 owners are experiencing on this forum. I was thinking of getting a good extended warranty plan and taking it to the dealer over the course of a couple of months and have the car worked on. I don't drive my car too much, mainly on Sat and Sun. So far it seems like the front shocks are worn, the sunroof is rough when opening and seems to get stuck, the drivers seat doesn't firm up and the little panel has a broken tab, and the check engine light just came on. Would anyone recommend this path, if so could they offer recommendations on those extended warranties?

FYI
I called my dealer and asked if they accept them and they said they do.

Relate27
10-15-12, 10:21 AM
3rd party warranty's are necessary if you don't have a factory warranty. repairing cadillacs are super expensive.. I have a 3rd party warranty through Lincoln financial or something, it's supposed to be from ford.. I have never had to use it but it does not have a deductable and it supposed to cover most stuff.. You may want to talk to your bank or credit union about purchasing through them, mine wrapped up my warranty into the loan.. DO lots of research a lot of those 3rd party warrantys are scammy..

Ludacrisvp
10-15-12, 10:55 AM
You will likely have a difficult time getting an extended waranty for a car that old with that many miles that will actually cover anything useful that would save you any money in the long run.

EChas3
10-15-12, 07:53 PM
For the sunroof, see a body shop first. In NJ, you may be able to find a good independant if you prefer not to work on your own cars.

Otherwise, solicit opinions on a good dealer before laying out for expensive repairs. Be nice. A dealer that you like is often a dealer that likes you.

Good luck & welcome to the new STS!

cjmeyer
10-15-12, 08:24 PM
Be prepared to spend at least $2000 for a warranty on a car with that many miles.Also read contract before you sign up.My friend had a 3rd party that he just cancelled because it didn't cover his master cylinder on his lincoln.

EChas3
10-15-12, 09:08 PM
If it hasn't been under some warranty, expect twice that and paying for an inspection to get any coverage of value. Was she cute?

I'd just set aside $100 a month for maintenance and 'self insure'.

curtc
10-15-12, 09:14 PM
If it hasn't been under some warranty, expect twice that

I can attest to that, bought my 06 1SF with 71k on her, paid $2,700ish for a 3 year/36k basic extended warranty through Ford, higher tiers exceeded $4k...

Already covered around $1,600 in repairs.

KRSTS
10-16-12, 05:08 AM
I suspect a decent warranty from a reputable company would be just south of $4K based on my research.

02603sec
10-17-12, 06:48 PM
Ive never believed in anykind of an extended warranty for any of my vehicles. I do have an above average garage as well as no fear of tearing into stuff. Huge satisfaction diy.

KRSTS
10-17-12, 07:26 PM
Even if the warranty doesn't pay for itself in repairs, the piece of mind is more important to me.

ahmaduhhs
10-18-12, 03:02 PM
Ok fellas some updates here i called a few and Endurance seems to have the best rate but a crummy web-site and one used them in the past?

----------

who are you using?

Even if the warranty doesn't pay for itself in repairs, the piece of mind is more important to me.

jdelp
10-18-12, 03:07 PM
I have GWC - got it through the non-Caddy dealer when I purchased the car...not sure if you can buy them independently or not?.? Sorry if this was not much help.

ahmaduhhs
10-18-12, 03:13 PM
I will look them up, thx. Have you had to use them for any repairs at your dealership?

I have GWC - got it through the non-Caddy dealer when I purchased the car...not sure if you can buy them independently or not?.? Sorry if this was not much help.

jdelp
10-19-12, 11:04 AM
I will look them up, thx. Have you had to use them for any repairs at your dealership?

Yes, I had two struts replaced ($1900 +) and just had the power steering pump replaced ($300+) which has pretty muched paid for the warranty in full - all I had to pay was the sales tax on parts ($120 or so total). For the work I took it to the non-Caddy dealer where I purchased the car & warranty through. You can take it to any ASA certified shop, but I've found it's less headache if you can have it done where you bought the warranty through...

That being said, I think you can ONLY purchase a GWC warranty through a dealership. Looking through their website I didn't see any information for 'private buyers.' but I may be wrong there - here's a link to their site: http://www.gwcwarranty.com/Home.aspx

Good luck!