: Notta good morning for me or the coyote

truckinman
10-15-12, 08:00 AM
Coming to work today, going about 70 mph, all of a sudden, what I thought was a dog, appeared in my headlights with NO time to react. And im a pretty quick thinker/reactor when I drive bc I'm so use to it.

Was driving Chrissys Saturn ion. Not the STS thankfully. Which, by the way, we are both glad I wasn't in the Cadillac. But it ripped half the bumper off, and practically folded the radiator in two. In a matter of a couple min, all the coolant was laying under her car.

Coulda been a lot worse. I felt bad it was her car tho. Really felt bad when I thought it was a dog. I love dogs and hated the fact I may have just killed somebodies pet. But the police insured me it was just a coyote so I felt better after that. Lol.

She drove out to me on the side of the interstate at 3 AM in my car and we waited a good 1.5 hrs for the police to show. Then another hr for a tow truck only to find this wrecker company didn't have a working credit card machine. So we couldn't have it towed where we wanted at first. It's at their impound lot waiting for an insurance agent to come out and look at it. Luckily, even tho it's paid off, we still have full coverage on it. But now we are down to just one car bc she's not sure if she has the rental car option on her ins. I do on mine, but we've got separate policies.

So a bit of a headache this morning. But thankfully that's all it is.

CadillacLuke24
10-15-12, 01:34 PM
First off, the Saturn did its primary job. You are still here. I am very thankful for that fact. It sucks that it happened, but I'm happy that I'm reading your typing.

What did the animal in question look like? Kinda gray-brown, more wolfly-coyote. From what it sounds like, you probably didn't hit a dog.

:sneaky: Maybe you can get that VW Phaeton that you've had your eyes on! Regardless, good luck car hunting! You'll have to keep us posted!

truckinman
10-15-12, 01:56 PM
First off, the Saturn did its primary job. You are still here. I am very thankful for that fact. It sucks that it happened, but I'm happy that I'm reading your typing.

What did the animal in question look like? Kinda gray-brown, more wolfly-coyote. From what it sounds like, you probably didn't hit a dog.

:sneaky: Maybe you can get that VW Phaeton that you've had your eyes on! Regardless, good luck car hunting! You'll have to keep us posted!

Thanks! Yea the police saw half of the animal as they drove past to me. They said it was a coyote. Biggest coyote I've ever seen. His eyes were higher than the level of my hood. That's the one thing I did see b4 I hit him. Yea it was a brownish tannish color.

Eh the phaeton is gone. Lol. Besides, I'm sure she wouldn't want it. Far as I know, the car isn't going to be totaled out, so no need for car hunting. I'm just surprised the air bags didn't deploy.

But like Chrissy said, Shes just thankful I didn't swerve real quick and hit another car making the accident that much more likely for bodily injury.

Submariner409
10-15-12, 02:08 PM
Glad the thing didn't come through the windshield.

We have a smaller version of coyote here in eastern MD - about the size of a healthy border collie - the animal is very reclusive and you only catch a glimpse of one or two in early evening. They absolutely LOVE small foo-foo dogs and cats. (just like fox does..........)

77CDV
10-15-12, 04:08 PM
Glad to hear you're ok, and that the car is repairable.

truckinman
10-15-12, 04:44 PM
Well, just found out it might be totaled. A guy looked at it at the place it's sitting now and told me it looks like the subframe is bent. Right under the radiator, in that area.

orconn
10-15-12, 05:37 PM
Better a cayote than a St. Bernard. Glad you are ok, too bad about the Saturn.

truckinman
10-15-12, 07:10 PM
Better a cayote than a St. Bernard. Glad you are ok, too bad about the Saturn.

Thanks. And yea I'm very glad it wasn't any dog. It's still not a certainty that it's going to be totaled out. But if the subframe really is bent like that guy said, I can't imagine they wouldn't. A 2005 Ion level 3 quad coupe in good condition has a trade in value of 3800-4000 dollars. So not worth it for them to fix it if that's the case.

Ranger
10-15-12, 10:32 PM
WOW! Hard to believe a coyote would do that much damage.

talismandave
10-16-12, 02:04 AM
...It's still not a certainty that it's going to be totaled out. But if the subframe really is bent like that guy said, I can't imagine they wouldn't. A 2005 Ion level 3 quad coupe in good condition has a trade in value of 3800-4000 dollars. So not worth it for them to fix it if that's the case.

If you hurry and go at night with a sledgehammer, you could make it a certainty. How many coyotes got away before you finally managed to get one? Some guys will do anything to get their girlfriend out of a Saturn.:suspect:

truckinman
10-16-12, 03:15 AM
WOW! Hard to believe a coyote would do that much damage.

You and me both. Never figured I had to watch for coyotes so much. Thought if I ever hit an animal big enough to total a car, it'd be a deer. Plus you just don't expect to see a coyote in the middle of Columbus. Lol.

----------

If you hurry and go at night with a sledgehammer, you could make it a certainty. How many coyotes got away before you finally managed to get one? Some guys will do anything to get their girlfriend out of a Saturn.:suspect:

You got me Dave! Lol. She even said herself her cars a POS. Lol. But we were going to try and wait until next summer to buy a new car bc of the wedding and all those expenses. I'm not sure what the insurance would give us for the car, but even if it were just 3-4k, I could easily find a more than tolerable car for that price if she were to just keep driving my caddy. Just something to hold us over long enough to get the wedding expenses out of the way. But I've gotta feeling she won't wanna do that bc she hates buying old cars. She won't buy anything older than 2-3 years.

orconn
10-16-12, 01:53 PM
Wedding costs are insane today. When my wife and I were married it cost about $1200., that was for a nice historic church cum priest (he was sort of young and cut rate; had to read the ceremony from flash cards), flowers for the chapel, a very nice dinner (beef Wellington, cocktails and wine) for twelve of our closest friends, wedding dress. Now there were some economy features; I was both the groom and the valet parking! We didn't immediately have a honeymoon (no time didn't want to spend the money). But basically the whole thing got the job done and lasted (to date 41 years).

My son and daughter-in-law's wedding was a totally different matter. Her Mom and her daughter had a totally different take on weddings. Despite being from a very middle class (financially and socio-economically) nothing would do but a wedding equal to the best that families of far greater resources and social position would do for their little "princess!" My wife and I made clear from our first meeting that we would pay for the rehearsal dinner, but would not contribute a penny for the wedding itself (we were giving the young couple $30,000. for a down payment on a house). Well, the mother and daughter managed to run up a bill of over $30,000. for the whole shebang (which the mother and father went into debt to pay for). I have to admit it was a lovely wedding and reception (wedding plannered). Enough still and motion picture photography to fill an extra room at their house. Of course there was a frigging "stretch" limousine (I don't remember the brand, but it was certainly long and vulgar!).

My son's friends (many of whose families could easily spring for an event of this kind without breaking a financial sweat) said they would have chosen just to take money and spent on something else. My son's bride's mother still resents that we would wouldn't pay for a good part of the cost (lump it lady!). The good news is that after 10 years and three kids they are still married ..... and because my son had no educational loans and a nice down payment on their first house they are able to live in a 5000 sq. foot house in a "best" neighborhood and send their kids to private schools. It also helps that both are lawyers, and my son is very well paid for his advice.

So I guess what is important to some is not important to others, but anyway you slice it, I think spending and going into debt to afford a wedding is a poor choice of how to flush a lot of money for twenty four hours of show!

truckinman
10-16-12, 02:21 PM
Wedding costs are insane today. When my wife and I were married it cost about $1200., that was for a nice historic church cum priest (he was sort of young and cut rate; had to read the ceremony from flash cards), flowers for the chapel, a very nice dinner (beef Wellington, cocktails and wine) for twelve of our closest friends, wedding dress. Now there were some economy features; I was both the groom and the valet parking! We didn't immediately have a honeymoon (no time didn't want to spend the money). But basically the whole thing got the job done and lasted (to date 41 years).

My son and daughter-in-law's wedding was a totally different matter. Her Mom and her daughter had a totally different take on weddings. Despite being from a very middle class (financially and socio-economically) nothing would do but a wedding equal to the best that families of far greater resources and social position would do for their little "princess!" My wife and I made clear from our first meeting that we would pay for the rehearsal dinner, but would not contribute a penny for the wedding itself (we were giving the young couple $30,000. for a down payment on a house). Well, the mother and daughter managed to run up a bill of over $30,000. for the whole shebang (which the mother and father went into debt to pay for). I have to admit it was a lovely wedding and reception (wedding plannered). Enough still and motion picture photography to fill an extra room at their house. Of course there was a frigging "stretch" limousine (I don't remember the brand, but it was certainly long and vulgar!).

My son's friends (many of whose families could easily spring for an event of this kind without breaking a financial sweat) said they would have chosen just to take money and spent on something else. My son's bride's mother still resents that we would wouldn't pay for a good part of the cost (lump it lady!). The good news is that after 10 years and three kids they are still married ..... and because my son had no educational loans and a nice down payment on their first house they are able to live in a 5000 sq. foot house in a "best" neighborhood and send their kids to private schools. It also helps that both are lawyers, and my son is very well paid for his advice.

So I guess what is important to some is not important to others, but anyway you slice it, I think spending and going into debt to afford a wedding is a poor choice of how to flush a lot of money for twenty four hours of show!

Oh yea. That's why we are trying to do it "cheap" so to speak. No more than 4k and so far are successful! We refuse to go into debt for one day when all that debt, really, is for everybody else to have a party. Lol.

CadillacLuke24
10-16-12, 02:39 PM
$1200?!?! DAMN! Hope I can get off that cheap!

truckinman
10-16-12, 02:52 PM
$1200?!?! DAMN! Hope I can get off that cheap!

Heh. Good luck. Our menu alone for our dinner is 1500 and that's with only 60 guests

orconn
10-16-12, 04:30 PM
Oh yea. That's why we are trying to do it "cheap" so to speak. No more than 4k and so far are successful! We refuse to go into debt for one day when all that debt, really, is for everybody else to have a party. Lol.

Congratulations on your and yours sound thinking! I hope you will have many happy returns of the day!

----------

Heh. Good luck. Our menu alone for our dinner is 1500 and that's with only 60 guests

Good going! The bill for my son's rehearsal dinner for about 35 people was $2200.

truckinman
10-16-12, 07:27 PM
Thanks Orconn!! Yea a friend of mine got married recently and it LOOKED basic. But very nice as well. Both families are very crafty and good with their hands so they made all the food and decorations and everything. Very good country cooked food! The bride even made her own dress. She had over 100 hrs in making it. Yet, they STILL spent 14k. It was an all open bar for over 100 guests so I'm sure that wasn't cheap. But they paid for it with out going into debt too. These friends won't even buy a car if they have to finance it.

We have picked out a venue that looks like it should cost 2k for the day. It's a second floor space that even has a very large, all marble balcony with an outdoor bar. Marble pillars and everything. They even take care of everything for us. All decorations, tearing down at end of night, and we get it from noon to 2 AM. All for 375 dollars. And we are going to buy 300 dollars worth of beer and after that it's a cash bar. But even still it's only 3 bucks a beer. It's their catering we are hiring as well.

----------

Also found out the Saturn isn't totaled. Nearly 2 grand in damages tho. New radiator. New condenser. New bumper cover. All new lower bumper. New fender (I'm guessing inner) and new front unibody section that all the suspension components mount to. All new fog lights as well. All bc of a friggin coyote.

Oh also a front end alignment.

talismandave
10-16-12, 07:39 PM
We did it on the cheap. Folks backyard for service and reception. All the family cooked, Had about 100-150 people, everyone had a blast and cost next to nothing.

orconn
10-16-12, 08:05 PM
Now that's the way to do it! Several of our friends used our house in L.A. for their weddings and receptions. We all pitched in for the food preparation and service and these events always came off very well .... and not very expensive (the venue was free and the food was made from scratch by my wife and I and volunteers, a fiend of the bride and groom played the baby grand piano and another friend of the couple took pictures. All in all it was really nice and no one went broke or in debt.

Up until the big "Bank Bust" of 2007 it seemed like every young daughter actually believed she was a "princess" and deserved a "Cinderella" wedding. It seemed that all the weddings we attended here on th e East Coast were very expensive affairs that turned into rather drunken messes at the end. At two of these fine event the brides ended u getting so drunk they passed out. Really impressive!

I think families have come to their senses given the realities of the current economic situation

talismandave
10-17-12, 01:05 AM
Mine also was mostly a daytime event and with all my friends it was also a miniature car show.:lol: My buddy brought his 52 MG TC and it was a big hit. My 76 Fleetwood served well and most of the rest were 70's GMs. One was my 70 Delta 88 convertible that I had sold to Bro in law, and later bought back.