: Whine when ac is on

the cadillac man
10-14-12, 06:43 PM
Guys I have found the source for the whine in my 03escalade it happens only when the ac is on and at around 1500 rpm,

I looked at my belts and the one for the ac has a glaze on the back(haven't checked for cracks yet)
I looked online and most sites pointed at the ac compressor bearing going bad not sure if that is the source of the problem or not as the ac blows ice cold air when used even on the hottest days

I will mention this to the service manager when I go to get my radio unlocked and see what he has to say about it

So before I go to the dealer anybody got any ideas??

jnrsesv
10-14-12, 10:23 PM
Could it be the AC tensioner pulley (it's seperate from the main serpentine belt)?

the cadillac man
10-14-12, 11:18 PM
Could it be the AC tensioner pulley (it's seperate from the main serpentine belt)?

I am thinking the same thing as the whine isn't as noticeable with the ac off you can just barely hear it so I hope it is the tensioner

Also is the tensioner easy to replace given the ac is at the bottom area of the engine? How much does it cost?

jnrsesv
10-15-12, 06:21 AM
Between the belt and tensioner under $100.00, I know Auto Zone carries them in stock.

As far as swapping out, fairly easy:

Loosen the main serpentine belt, removal not necessary.

Remove the splash shield under motor.

Easy access to the AC serpentine and tensioner from under vehicle. Half hour job.

mitch2264
10-15-12, 08:10 AM
Fingers crossed for you that is the tensioner and belt!! If it is--you may want to look at Amazon for parts. The last few times I bought parts, Amazon was WAY cheaper. Case in point, I had to put a new 02 sensor on my 97 GMC truck and found a genuine AC Delco 02 sensor for 27.00 and some change. I was not in a hurry so I opted for free shipping too ;)

Good luck!!!

the cadillac man
10-15-12, 11:20 AM
Fingers crossed for you that is the tensioner and belt!! If it is--you may want to look at Amazon for parts. The last few times I bought parts, Amazon was WAY cheaper. Case in point, I had to put a new 02 sensor on my 97 GMC truck and found a genuine AC Delco 02 sensor for 27.00 and some change. I was not in a hurry so I opted for free shipping too ;)

Good luck!!!

I am pretty sure it is the tensioner as there is a slight whine at the same rpm range which just gets louder when the ac is on due to the load change(I think the ac compressor is amplifying the noise) but I will be calling some auto parts places and see what they charge
I will keep you guy posted on a update if it fixes the problem.

jnrsesv
10-15-12, 02:14 PM
Evan, I took a picture of my engine for another member today and I see that I got the AC tensioner in it by accident. So here you can see its pretty easy to get at.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy103/jnrkara/2005%20Escalade%20ESV/DSCN0869e.jpg

the cadillac man
10-15-12, 03:08 PM
Ethan, I took a picture of my engine for another member today and I see that I got the AC tensioner in it by accident. So here you can see its pretty easy to get at.

I can see it in the pic but I don't think I will risk damaging the ac (I tend to rush when I work on my truck) and btw my name is Evan not Ethan

But I finely got to take a close look at the belt and it looks like I need a new belt for the ac also
I will get it changed when I get the radio unlocked(I am getting a nav radio) so it will be easier to get both do at the same time.

jnrsesv
10-15-12, 03:22 PM
Sorry Evan

the cadillac man
10-15-12, 03:49 PM
Sorry Evan

Don't worry about we make mistakes it happens even to the best of us.

the cadillac man
10-24-12, 10:31 PM
Update had to get both replaced as the bearing was worn out in the tensioner(like I thought) and the belt was cracked like crazy it's a wonder it didn't snap

I will have to replace the other belt soon as it is starting to crack in places and is getting a shiny look to the back of it(don't want to get out somewhere and get broke down)
Now I have to fix my DVD player(which now has a lower volume from the right side then the left)after having my battery replaced.

jnrsesv
10-25-12, 09:35 AM
congrats on the "easy fix"

I am still scratching my head on the audio issue.

the cadillac man
10-25-12, 11:23 AM
congrats on the "easy fix"

I am still scratching my head on the audio issue.

It has me puzzled as it worked fine before the battery was changed but I will be checking it out to see what is wrong.