: Gas Cap Problems

BillysBowties
10-14-12, 01:41 PM
A couple weeks ago I had a check engine light come on and someone on here told me that my gas cap needed to be tightened, I did just that and a couple of days later the check engine
light went off. Then a couple of days ago it happened again and I went to advance auto and they said it coded out as emission and the guy ask me if my gas cap was on. I then went out to tighten up the cap and like the manual says it will click and then turn it until its tight. My cap doesn't tighten it will just keep turning, is this correct or do I need a new cap. Anybody that can help would be appreciated. Thanks

the cadillac man
10-14-12, 02:30 PM
A couple weeks ago I had a check engine light come on and someone on here told me that my gas cap needed to be tightened, I did just that and a couple of days later the check engine
light went off. Then a couple of days ago it happened again and I went to advance auto and they said it coded out as emission and the guy ask me if my gas cap was on. I then went out to tighten up the cap and like the manual says it will click and then turn it until its tight. My cap doesn't tighten it will just keep turning, is this correct or do I need a new cap. Anybody that can help would be appreciated. Thanks

The cap needs replacing as it turning freely isn't normal

rfishoutofwater
10-14-12, 06:57 PM
I replaced mine with a locking cap. Now it's always secure.

the cadillac man
10-14-12, 07:24 PM
I replaced mine with a locking cap. Now it's always secure.

That's what I got as I hate people who steal gas.