: New commuter...sorry, not a cadillac

Johnxlrv
10-14-12, 09:44 AM
Funny, how you stumble into a deal now and then. Been driving these blasted tiny del sols to/from work while the XLR rests...with no working ac, no cruise, etc in both of these sols (one with 175k and the other with 456k), I often toyed with letting these go so I could find a newer low milage car that has a few more features.

Well, by surfing the sol forums, a nice lady popped up to say that she was selling her beloved sol..."what, another sol...this is not what I need"...started pm'ing...along with others because this car was very nice...ended up buying this car and am totally amazed at a mint condition 18-year old car...here are the pics...yes, it really has 40,000 miles, has original paint and was always garaged...and is the vtec model

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh560/Johnxlrv/image_zps5c526872.jpghttp://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh560/Johnxlrv/image_zps577104e8.jpg
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh560/Johnxlrv/image_zps40f9ac1c.jpg

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh560/Johnxlrv/image_zps7faf3626.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-14-12, 10:00 AM
Whoa! That thing is like brand new!

Ya know, as much as I like to rag on Honda's current offerings for being ugly, boring vehicles, they really had it going on in the '90's!

CadillacLuke24
10-14-12, 10:36 AM
I feel like the dad in the XLR commercial during the Super Bowl that one year.

"It's okay. You have an XLR-V."

:histeric:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-14-12, 11:45 AM
If I was to make a list of the greatest '90s cars, the Del Sol would surely be on it. Was the Del Sol Civic based, or was it off a smaller platform?

I just bought the '94 Del Sol brochure off eBay.

cadillac kevin
10-14-12, 12:52 PM
If I was to make a list of the greatest '90s cars, the Del Sol would surely be on it. Was the Del Sol Civic based, or was it off a smaller platform?

I just bought the '94 Del Sol brochure off eBay.

The del sol was civic based. I believe it was actually called the civic del sol in either european or asian markets?

talismandave
10-14-12, 11:20 PM
I don't blame you for snapping that up, that thing is new. And you already have two parts cars! Or will this now be garaged with the XLR?! You may have screwed up by buying to nice a car.

Is that the other two at the curb? A matching set of three. Your neighbors will think it's a company car fleet.

Aron9000
10-15-12, 02:06 AM
Is that the same motor they used in the hot Predule and Integra GS-R? Car looks immaculate, I'm sure its a ton of fun.

ryannel2003
10-15-12, 02:10 AM
Prelude VTEC used H22A1 in the early 90's. The Del Sol VTEC used the B series (B16a3). I don't know what the GS-R used.

STS_Seville_Hunter
10-15-12, 04:33 AM
Prelude VTEC used H22A1 in the early 90's. The Del Sol VTEC used the B series (B16a3). I don't know what the GS-R used.
B18C1. That Del Sol would be worth a fortune here.

Johnxlrv
10-15-12, 07:32 AM
I don't blame you for snapping that up, that thing is new. And you already have two parts cars! Or will this now be garaged with the XLR?! You may have screwed up by buying to nice a car.

Is that the other two at the curb? A matching set of three. Your neighbors will think it's a company car fleet.

Not sure if I can make the room...I guess I might be classified as eccentric with three of these. This one is not flaw free, but it is close...therein lies the problem. It will have to be driven of course...and will take its share of abuse, having made my mind up that the XLR will remain the nice car. I,ll probably get a 3m bra and keep it waxed and such, but not like it was.

The nice lady was a bit tearful when we drove off, it was her baby after all, and gave me some stuff like team del sol hats, brochures for every production year, a tape of all of the commercials, and a inch-thick folder of service records.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-15-12, 07:38 AM
Sounds like you bought it from the right person!

Johnxlrv
10-15-12, 07:44 AM
B18C1. That Del Sol would be worth a fortune here.

Actually, it it the B16A3 (OBD1)...in 96, 97, the B16A2 (OBD2) was the vtec option. The A3 has the highest redline IMHO...8250 RPM...totally different since the DOHC second cam(which is supposed to kick in at 48-5000, with a higher lift/duration) somehow engages, making the motor sound totally different. Not used to winding the rpms that high, but it is where the power is.

Cruising at 75 mph, watching the RPMs at 4000 is also odd.

I would not ever call it fast 'cus of the V !

ted tcb
10-15-12, 10:54 AM
How the heck did you find that car, in that shape, for "beater money".

I don't know what you spent, but up here, that car with 40k would command around $6-8k in the spring.

Well done, call me jealous!

STS_Seville_Hunter
10-15-12, 07:14 PM
Actually, it it the B16A3 (OBD1)...in 96, 97, the B16A2 (OBD2) was the vtec option. The A3 has the highest redline IMHO...8250 RPM...totally different since the DOHC second cam(which is supposed to kick in at 48-5000, with a higher lift/duration) somehow engages, making the motor sound totally different. Not used to winding the rpms that high, but it is where the power is.

Cruising at 75 mph, watching the RPMs at 4000 is also odd.

I would not ever call it fast 'cus of the V !
I was replying to the poster who didn't know what came in the Integra GSR.

Johnxlrv
10-15-12, 09:10 PM
How the heck did you find that car, in that shape, for "beater money".

I don't know what you spent, but up here, that car with 40k would command around $6-8k in the spring.

Well done, call me jealous!

It was 6k...but given that milage on a newer car would have been higher. What sold me was that all of the rubber was mint...always garaged and the near anal records for all of the maintenance...oil changes every 1500 miles?

When you see a meticulous lawn, garage (cleaner than my kitchen), and such, there were many indicators of a well cared-for car. The vtec model has all the options I need. My beater cars will sell for half that...I just feel a bit guilty regulating this to DD status

Jesda
10-15-12, 11:58 PM
In just a few years, you'll be able to bring that rolling time capsule to the Japanese Classic Car Show in Long Beach for display. I haven't seen a DS that clean since I was a teenager!

Johnxlrv
10-16-12, 09:52 AM
In just a few years, you'll be able to bring that rolling time capsule to the Japanese Classic Car Show in Long Beach for display. I haven't seen a DS that clean since I was a teenager!

Yea, the car show ticked me off...not because there was one, but because I missed it. Often in along Beach for business ...here now lol

Ahh we'll, for a consolation prize, I discovered that the Yard House has Unibroue...