: Contemplating an STS

dhawthorne15
10-13-12, 08:35 PM
I'm considering purchasing somewhere between an 07 - 09 STS and wanted to see what the pros and cons are. I test drove an 09 CTS today and it was nice but I'm about 6'2 and it was a wee bit tight but the salesman let me know that the STS's were larger but he didn't have any on the lot. I figured this was the place to get the dirt on them. And should I go the V6 route or V8 route....I live in Houston so traffic is a beast in the mornings but when I have an open road I like to GO!!!

EChas3
10-13-12, 09:23 PM
I love my STS. My wife loves hers. They vary a lot depending on the trim level and options selected. Retro-fitting options is sometimes possible but is rarely practical. If you do buy an STS, test drive some differently equipped cars and decide the features you want. Then shop for that car. It's fun!

The STS is not a particularly good choice for someone that likes to add aftermarket improvements; STS designers didn't leave 'low hanging fruit' for aftermarket performance enhancements. With the exception of the voice recognition, the technology is advanced. Some members find the Navigation hard to use but I don't. Strongly consider an extended warranty, especially if you opt for high-end features.

I wouldn't even consider a V6 but many members feel differently. An AWD V8 can be expected to guzzle gas. If you live in a climate that gets more than a few snowfalls, plan on snow tires. I have to be able to travel in bad weather and my AWD is incredible for a heavy, low-clearance car on wide tires.

burkewm
10-13-12, 09:25 PM
I don't mind the V6 at all. If you can find an equipped V8 for a decent price though... hit it up! I only got the V6 because it had a lot of other stuff I wanted on it already and was decently priced/low miles. I'm 6' even and have plenty of room, with some room left to move the seat back/down too.

dhawthorne15
10-14-12, 01:05 AM
I don't mind the V6 at all. If you can find an equipped V8 for a decent price though... hit it up! I only got the V6 because it had a lot of other stuff I wanted on it already and was decently priced/low miles. I'm 6' even and have plenty of room, with some room left to move the seat back/down too.

Only thing that has me concerned about room really is I have a 7 year old daughter that would be uncomfortable in the backseat behind me. And I know she also loved the rear heated seats in an SLS I drove for a couple of months before!!

burkewm
10-14-12, 09:09 AM
I don't think she'll be too crammed back there. I've driven with 4 people in the car before (one of them a 2 y/o in a car seat, other 3 adults) and nobody was uncomfortable.

cjmeyer
10-14-12, 08:39 PM
I am 6ft2in and everyone who has ridden in back has complained about the lack of room in my 05.Other than that it is a pretty good driving car with the v6.Still like my DeVille better though!

EChas3
10-14-12, 10:02 PM
There was a change in 2006 to help some with rear legroom. The front seat tracks are looong.

curtc
10-14-12, 11:08 PM
I'm 6'1", girlfriend is 5'10" and I haven't had any complaints about rear leg room in my 06.

EChas3
10-14-12, 11:16 PM
Exactly!